Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

I propose a new community project resulting from a bunch of ideas coming from this thread.

The basic idea is a chain of mappers starting from MAP01 and working onwards. It starts with the first mapper posting a short story in this thread relevant to his map but leaving it open ended for the next mapper in the chain to continue.
Meanwhile, he has one week to produce his map and upload for the next mapper in the chain to pick up where the previous one left off. And on it goes.
What we end up with if all goes to plan is that rare beast of a community megawad with a story and a consistent thematic progression.

Rules

I'm planning on starting this on Monday 1.11.10 so whoever wants to be first in the chain should have some free time next week.

Anyone can join. Just post your interest in this thread and I'll add you to the next available slot. Obviously, make sure you're available during the week of the next available slot before you claim it.

The story doesn't have to be Shakespeare. Just a short piece that makes sense continuing from the previous story, goes with your map and ends in such a way that the next mapper can continue it.

The map should be Boom compat and use only stock resources except new music, which is OK if you want to use it.

The map should make sense when put together with your story.

The beginning should continue from the end of the previous map and the end of your map should be designed to allow the next mapper to continue from it.

The megawad will be intended to be played continuously as opposed to pistol starting each map. Where possible this should be taken into consideration when thinking of item/monster placement.

Have your map done by the end of your week slot and upload it. Either use Speedyshare, Dropbox or PM me and I'll host it.

The name is subject to change if anyone can think of a better one but let's worry about the maps first.

At some point I might ask for help with playtesting but it's early days for that right now.

Over to you guys!

Maps

Episode 1: Evil Isle

HAD01: Katamori. Escape from the Asylum.
HAD02: Cell. Storage Basement.
HAD03: Melon. The Stench of Freedom.
HAD04: purist. Washed Up.
HAD05: magicsofa. Rumex Crispus.
HAD06: Vaporizer. Hull Revealed.

Episode 2: Hell Exhumed

HAD07: Cell. Deadly Exploitation.
HAD08: Vaporizer. Sub-Station.
HAD09: purist. Terminus.
HAD10: A.Gamma. Excavation Site.
HAD11: walter confalonieri. Descent into Underworld.

Episode 3: Fortress of Damnation

HAD12: Olympus. Passover.
HAD13: Cell. Metal Territory.
HAD14: C30N9. Power Up.
HAD15: purist. Septic Underbelly.
HAD31: TrueDude. Hell's Armoury.
HAD32: magicsofa. Sirenum Scopuli.
HAD16: walter confalonieri. Eisenhower Heliport.
HAD17: Malinku. Communication Tower.
HAD18: Snakes & NoneeLlama. Altar of Chaos.
HAD19: Cell. Satan's Fortress.
HAD20: purist. Ostoyae Anomaly.

Episode 4: Demented Dimension

HAD21: Katamori & TrueDude. Constriction.
HAD22: NoneeLlama. Prime Mover.
HAD23: Olympus. Gloom Keep.
HAD24: purist. Lifeblood.
HAD25: Melon. Sacrifice.
HAD26: Cell. Pride of the Descent.
HAD27: Rambosee Drilling Station.
HAD28: Melon Teleportation Center.
HAD29: purist. Dead Planet.
HAD30: A.Gamma. Hadephobia.

Bonus Maps

MAP33: Cell. Pre-destined Mortality.
MAP34: purist. Hadephrenia.
MAP35: Grain of Salt Scotch Bonnet.

Hadephobia released 24FEB13.
DOWNLOAD.

Art

Several graphics will be replaced as listed below. Those with proof of concept graphics in progfic.wad are appropriately marked.

TITLEPIC (Finished, in progfic.wad): NiuHaka
M_DOOM (Finished, in progfic.wad): Mithran Denizen
HUD (Finished, in progfic.wad): Sigvatr
SKY3 (Finished, in progfic.wad): Grain of Salt
INTERPIC (Finished): C30N9/Mithran Denizen
BOSSBACK (No concept): Artist not yet needed
CREDIT (No concept): Artist not yet needed

Other tidbits of art info can be found on page 24. If you still have questions PM me or post in the thread.

Original Music

Title (Hadephobia Theme, finished): Jimmy91
Intermission: (How Much Did Ya Kill?, finished): PRIMEVAL
D_READ_M: (Crown of Thorns, in progress): PRIMEVAL
MAP03: (Stalking Shadows, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP05: Progsofa, finished): magicsofa
MAP17: (Trigger Happy, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP18: (First Contact, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP20: (Anomaly, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP21: (Sheol, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP24: (Abyssal Grounds, finished: PRIMEVAL
MAP29: (Dead Planet, finished): PRIMEVAL
MAP31: (Royal Flush, finished): whitedamp
MAP32: (Dead in the Water, finished: Jimmy91

This sounds pretty fun. I'm free for the first 3 weeks of November so any of those slots would do nicely (maybe even the first?)

I wonder if it would be cheating the whole continuity aspect if I made a beginning map that ended up in one of those barrel suicides that clear you of all your stuff? Would give me the freedom to make a opening that starts you armed up to the eyeballs without messing up weapon progression for the remaining mappers. On the other hand, it's a bit cheap and seems to be against the spirit of the project. Maybe it would be for the best if I didn't.

Melon, I'll put you up for the first map slot (1.11.10 - 7.11.10) as I'd prefer to avoid assigning slots out of sequence if I can help it. First map means you have the responsibility of getting the story rolling but at least you've got the freedom of starting on your own terms.

Regarding, the barrell suicide there's two options:

1. Do it. I don't mind. I'd prefer there to be more of a natural progression that effectively enforced pistol starts but at the same time I don't want to interfere too much with anyone's creative input. One thing I will say is that if you do please write it into your story somehow and leave it possible for the next mapper to continue with a degree of seemlessness.

2. Leave it for now, go easy on the weapons/monsters and make a second map later on down the chain when it suits you better.

Go with what you want to do most. The beauty is you never know what's coming next. You might go conservative against your wishes only to find the author of MAP02 opens with a BFG and a MegaSphere!

The original plan was to have the player jump through some hellish warp gate after shit has hit the fan as a way of explaining why a bad ass marine starts off with only a pistol, but it wouldn't have been all that seamless so I won't bother doing it.

With regards to the story (I might as well get all of the questions out of the way now before I start on Monday) should they be more akin to a "set up" of the level, or should it vaguely cover what the player goes through during the level so that if you were to put everyone's stories together and read it without playing the wad, it would still make sense? I imagine it's the latter but I just wanted to double check.

Maybe you could see the start room/area of the next map through the warp gate? The next mapper can then start his map in the area you've made. It's up to you though.

In regards to the story, being the first map you could start the story just before the map if you like but as you say it should also vaguely cover what happens in the map too (just point out the main points). The ending would be the point where the next mapper takes over. For example in the hellish warp gate scenario it would be something like:

Ahead of you is a demented construction. An demonic arch that appears to be a gate into another dimension. Your head tells you not to trust it but there's simply no other way to turn. On the other side of the gate you can see a safe looking area (describe). It's probably a trap but what other option do you have? You brace yourself for a second then hurtle yourself towards it.

Excuse the prose, but you get the idea. I'm in two minds as to whether you should include spoilers in your story. I guess I'll leave it to the individual authors to decide.

It would be awesome if I could participate in it. As I'm also DN3D fan and used to using this concept in my previous WAD idea (sadly, it failed because of suckin slumped), and now, I'm ready with an idea for MAP07 where Mancubi and Arachies are NOT used to reveal obligatory pathways, but secrets. And there won't be only them, but anything else weaker than an Archvile.

I'm happy, because I can add idea for a new community megaWAD :)

Well, I have freetime on the next week only, so if it's possible, I want to public my map on the first week of November. Which map slot is free for this time?

EDIT: okay, I'm sorry, I already saw... MAP01 slot already used... well, I must find another way of solving my time problem

@Cell: MAP07 is not up yet. I'm looking for an author to take MAP02 at the moment, which is 8 NOV 10 - 14 NOV 10. I'll probably take MAP03 after MAP02 is allocated as 15 NOV 10 - 21 NOV 10 is a good week for me. Can you take the second slot?

@Katamori: If you PM Melon he might let you take the first slot as he said he's free for the first 3 weeks of November. Then Cell and Melon could take MAP02 and MAP03? One way or another I hope you can get involved.

OK, now I'm for MAP02 but I would also make MAP07 in the future to be more active. Or... is it disallowed?

Melon's ideas brings up a question: Should we map for pistol starts or not? I vote NOT, because many wads are done that way these days and it would be cooler to have an actual progression where you slowly find all the weapons. Maybe we could have a set limit to how early each weapon can appear - i.e. Shotgun on map01, chaingun on map02, etc. Anytime after the weapon has been introduced mappers could use it, but it would be encouraged not to just hand it over at the start. Pistol starts should be possible, but there should be a benefit to building up your arsenal.

magicsofa said:

Melon's ideas brings up a question: Should we map for pistol starts or not?

That's covered in the OP. We're not mapping for pistol starts.

If Katomori wants MAP01 then he can have it. I'll gladly take MAP02 or MAP03. (It seems Cell wants MAP02?)

purist said:

The megawad will be intended to be played continuously as opposed to pistol starting each map. Where possible this should be taken into consideration when thinking of item/monster placement.

DUH

Well anyway, in that case it would be super cool to use powerful weapons on the first level and then lose all of them! Making you fight for them etc

I've rearranged the slot order - see first post, thanks for helping out with that Melon.

@Marnetmar/magicsofa: Next available slots are 29 NOV 10 - 05 DEC 10 and 06 DEC 10 - 12 DEC 10 are you two interested in either of those?

Regarding weapon progression, yeah it would be nice but I won't put any hard limits as to what weapons people can use in each map or reject maps for weapon progression reasons. What is mandatory is that the gameplay of your map takes into account any weapons given in previous maps (particulary the one directly before) but is still beatable with pistol start.

Thank you, Melon!

Purist, please, write the rules again for me, because I didn't understand... sorry, but as I said, my English is bad, and I don't want to break the rules...

purist said:

@Marnetmar/magicsofa: Next available slots are 29 NOV 10 - 05 DEC 10 and 06 DEC 10 - 12 DEC 10 are you two interested in either of those?

Sure, I don't really care which slot I get so Sofa can choose one and I'll choose the other.

Slots updated to include magicsofa and Marnetmar. PM also sent to Katamori who now seems to be understanding of the rules :-)

It's good to have 6 authors on board. Good luck to Katamori who will be getting us kick started.

MAP07 is now the next available slot. I know Cell was intersted in taking this one so if you are free 13 DEC 10 - 19 DEC 10 now is the time to claim that map - there's no rules against taking more than one slot.

Yeah, now I'm really dedicated with the project. How shall I put it... is it allowed to use any new textures or I'm supposed to use only original Doom2 textures?
I don't know about that what MAP02 and MAP07 would look like in the future, as the endings were't made yet. But still, if I'll have a certain idea what to make in, I need to make it in the slot's week.

Cell said:

Yeah, now I'm really dedicated with the project. How shall I put it... is it allowed to use any new textures or I'm supposed to use only original Doom2 textures?
I don't know about that what MAP02 and MAP07 would look like in the future, as the endings were't made yet. But still, if I'll have a certain idea what to make in, I need to make it in the slot's week.

No it's just original Doom2 textures please. I'm trying to keep it simple in that respect so you'll just have to be creative with what we've got.

You can do some mapping before your slot is due if you think it will save you time. Just remember the start area will need changing and your theme might also change. If you're doing this I would advise just to map out layouts etc and leave anything that's dependant on theme or progression like details, textures and thing placement.

I'm glad to see the mappers keep coming. I've amended the slots post to include Cell's second map and Vaporizer, who has the Christmas slot.

Next available slot is now MAP09 (27 DEC 10 - 02 JAN 11)

purist said:

No it's just original Doom2 textures please. I'm trying to keep it simple in that respect so you'll just have to be creative with what we've got.

Understood. However, I wouldn't have a clue if I had to post not just a single map, but also a few textures.

Something else. Do I need to have a certain name for my map or I can decide it later? Finding and giving a name is not a so time-consuming task as the mapping is.

Marnetmar said:

Would it be acceptable if the name of my map was Anally Inflicted Death Sentence?

Seriously?! I'd honestly prefer that you didn't.

Cell said:

Do I need to have a certain name for my map or I can decide it later? Finding and giving a name is not a so time-consuming task as the mapping is.

Yes, you can name the map. I'll be naming mine after it's finished probably. Please steer clear of homophobic acronyms if can manage to though! If you don't want to name your map for any reason I'll do it for you.

I've not really thought about that yet Vaporizer. The most practical way would be to do the secret levels in slots 16 and 17 as whoever does MAP15 would need to know to put in a second exit. We're still 7 slots and 14 weeks away from having to cross that bridge though.

I've counted the weeks and we should have 32 maps by 12 JUN 11 unless we fall behind. Either then or when it's done (TM)