Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

Doom Ascension Mod: Recruitment & Announcements (Image Heavy)

Kracov said:

How many textures has the DA team created? It seems like a huge job. I was going to suggest asking the author if you could use the Jdoom hi-res texture pack. But then I thought, you could just get more artists to contribute to the texture making.

As for finished patches there are 39 and 4 flats but I have no idea how many are only partially finished. I've got a number of unfinished ones but I can't speak for the other texture artists. There are also a number of finished Ascension only textures which are not replacements.

There has been no recent progress on textures because all texture artists are currently either working on something other than textures or are taking a break.

I have no interest in using any of the hdrp textures. This probably sucks for anyone who is interested in seeing the final product but I plan to have this as my hobby for a while and am in no rush to burn out myself or any of the other A-Team members.

Why do you ask? Are you interested in joining the team? We are currently recruiting for texture artists. If so shoot me an email at niuhaka@doomascension.com

Not a whole lot on their forums, not to mention they lack a "News" section to showcase the progress as it comes along.

The project is moving along at its usual pace. Which is to say, comfortably slow. I have noticed that the monsters (which is what everyone wants to see anyways) are the hardest to complete. Even though I have half of the models built most of them have no textures, UV maps or animation riggs. Items and objects are starting to be pumped out and they are looking great but those are nowhere near as impressive as the monsters. Part of the reason it takes so long is I do spend a lot of time changing and re-changing parts of the textures. It can become extremely tedious to be a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. To give an idea on where we are with monsters, the Demon will be fully implemented within the next couple of weeks. That will mean that we have only got a complete zombieman, shotgun guy, Imp and Demon.

Right now there is nobody working on wall textures so there is no progress there since mid summer. I may have one A-Team texture artist who is coming back from break to work on textures but i'm not quite sure because I haven't responded to his email yet (getting to that Kracov). Although the textures for organic and moving monsters presents an exciting challenge I do not find that to be the case for wall textures. I have pumped those out quite easily the few times that I set my mind to it. I see no reason why the wall textures will be difficult once I dedicate my time to them.

I'm quite excited to show off our 3d skies because they are starting to look quite impressive. We've got animated clouds right now which really brings life to the setting. I'm really looking forward to implementing some of the things i've got planned and I think the skies are a very important part of Doom's atmosphere. Didn't plan on mentioning that until I had screenshots but i'm just very excited about them.

Concept drawings for weapons has been underway and I am pretty excited to start fleshing those out soon.

As for our forums and website, there is nothing to see in the public forums. To be honest we don't communicate much in the A-Team restricted forums either. At least not lately. Most of our communications are done through email because it just seems to be the most expedient way to trade files and information without trying to gather the team for live meetings. I have plans to take away the "progress" page because it gets neglected and can give the false impression that there is no progress on the project. However, website maintenance is a very low priority so that might not happen any time soon. A "News" section would also be another page that would probably be neglected.

I have been getting a lot of great support from Danij which has helped immensely and I really enjoy what those guys are doing with the latest beta versions of Doomsday. There are some surprising things i've been utilizing the last few weeks and I can't wait for Doomsday Engine 2's release.

Anyways, there is no reason to fear the demise of this project. I relish every minute of working on this project and plan to drag it on for a while. Like I've said before, I don't want to burn myself, or any other A-Team member out. This is a hobby and I am not a fan of applying pressure to anything related to it. The process should be enjoyable and the end result will be better for it.