Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

On second thought, Neodoom isn't worth the trouble.

I'll be playing through Icarus like I said I would earlier in a bit.

Edit: I'm at map27 of Icarus now. Damn, I'm really blazing through this megawad.

As suggested, I'm working on Hell to Pay now. I know it's just a bunch of invisible self-referencing sector staircases, but the "zero-g" segment of Map 15 is just awesome. How did they think of this stuff?

I do agree with the general opinion that most of the new enemy resources are terrible. I don't even know what they were thinking with the Mancubus replacement. It looks like a giant spray bottle that makes weird rubbery sounds. And they didn't bother to replace the Knights/Barons, so now they're demons that inexplicably make robot noises. However, I honestly really like the replacement for the pinkydemons, being just this big, spidery mess of blade arms chasing after you. They're kinda creepy.

On to SUDTIC now, and map20 of PL2. Did anyone else feel that the later maps felt more like slaughtermaps than a sequel to Plutonia? Something feels off.

I'm probably going to do Demonfear next, then Community Chest 1.

Marcaek said:

Did anyone else feel that the later maps felt more like slaughtermaps than a sequel to Plutonia?

There's a difference?

I've been swapping between 007: Licence To Spell Doom, RTC-3057, Hell Revealed, and Batman Doom, plus an old shovelware CD (Demon Gate). I haven't actually played a recent project in months.

I've been wanting to run through Plutonia and TNT again, but every time I get a couple of maps into either one, I realize that I still hate both of them, albeit for different reasons.

Megamur said:

There's a difference?

Plutonia managed to be hard without swarming the player. I'm getting tired of the teleport ambushes.

Ah, teleporter ambushes. I'll always remember a line from an old Doomworld review, where the reviewer expressed pleasure in the author's restraint for "not teleporting in the entire Revenant population of Hell whenever I picked up a key." It's an all-too-common practice.

I don't mind it most of the time, but it's getting to the point where I can't cross a line without being swarmed.

Right now, I'm doing an add-on pack no-infighting run on 2002: A Doom Odyssey on Scoredoom. I finished the first episode last night, and man was that bruiser brother boss battle at the end hard.

The boss rush thing essentially made me end up fighting about eighty boss enemies in a row in very tight quarters. (thankfully, each of those boss enemies, save for the last ones in the chains, dropped ammo upon death) The ammo regen thing certainly helped.

@Chex Warrior - Whispers of Satan and Speed of Doom were amazing, even though my Scoredoom run on the latter ground to a halt because of map28's size.

Edit: 2002ado status: All levels completed.

Edit 2: Currently doing a Scoredoom playthrough on Console Doom. Right now, I'm already past the first boss level.

Megamur said:

As suggested, I'm working on Hell to Pay now. I know it's just a bunch of invisible self-referencing sector staircases, but the "zero-g" segment of Map 15 is just awesome. How did they think of this stuff?

I do agree with the general opinion that most of the new enemy resources are terrible. I don't even know what they were thinking with the Mancubus replacement. It looks like a giant spray bottle that makes weird rubbery sounds. And they didn't bother to replace the Knights/Barons, so now they're demons that inexplicably make robot noises. However, I honestly really like the replacement for the pinkydemons, being just this big, spidery mess of blade arms chasing after you. They're kinda creepy.

Yeah, that spacewalk section ended up feeling amazing, especially with the vaulting up the air hose at the end. Also enjoy the little ship sequences, almost feels like the beginning of DN3D's ep2.

I kind of liked the imps and the demons (the demon replacements are even more disorienting as spectres). The rest are bleh, though I honestly like the wierdness of the Mancubus noises. I like how they're consistent with using the Lost Souls (liquid metal monsters) just oozing through walls. Also love the fuse puzzle/countdown in MAP32. Fuck MAP31 though. Plus a really mean joke in MAP18.

Scoredoom Console Doom run - Status: All done. (All secret levels finished)

My god are the boss rushes brutal, especially the double one in Map19 with the tight spaces.

kmxexii said:

Also love the fuse puzzle/countdown in MAP32.

That was really clever, yes. Without having looked at it in an editor, I don't know how the little timer indicators on the walls were done. Never seen anything like that in vanilla DOOM. I really thought I'd seen everything vanilla had to offer, but I guess most people just don't know how to put its tricks to good use.

I played around a bit with D2Xtreme by beating only maps 32 and 30. It seems the boss brain there had WAY too much health.

Edit: By way too much, I'm talking 20 million hitpoints. Not even the pre-nerf megavixen from NeoDoom (By the way, what is up with the vixens being a few stories tall in that megawad?) had that much health.

Started the first Community Chest. Was going great until map06. It's the only map I've ever skipped in a megawad. Terrible.

Blazed through Infinity. Took me less than two hours, which surprised me, since I take DOOM maps at a pretty slow pace. The first two levels are surprisingly difficult.

Playing some random maps from Pcorf's community project using a 39-sided die before the usual WoW evening raid to warm me up. :)

Megamur said:

Blazed through Infinity. Took me less than two hours, which surprised me, since I take DOOM maps at a pretty slow pace. The first two levels are surprisingly difficult.

I take it then you finished H2P? Or just taking a break? How did you enjoy the hell episode? For whatever reason that planet hell graphic as witnessed from the ship looked quite beautiful, at least in zdoom's renderer.

Edit: Some thoughts on Infinity... I played it many months ago, and what I recall is I disliked the use of damage floors but otherwise loved the mapping, except for the elevator maze in E1M2. Basically, every time I see stuff like that I groan, 'cause it slows the flow of the level to a standstill. Also really liked E1M8 for the huge central battle.

DeathevokatioN said:

Where can I find Hell to Pay? I can't find it on idgames.

You can't, at least, legally. I recall Tom Mustaine saying on his blog that he'd love to release Perdition's Gate, H2P's sister WAD, as freeware, but the rights belong to the Wraith Corporation, whatever it's become.

The blog also had notes on the development of the maps he and his father had created for PG. It was a nice read, getting his own perspective on the work. I'm interested in what the H2P team would have to say about their own mapping and the tricks they used, or what they thought when they were making mindfuck maps like MAP31 and 32 of PG.

kmxexii said:

I take it then you finished H2P? Or just taking a break? How did you enjoy the hell episode? For whatever reason that planet hell graphic as witnessed from the ship looked quite beautiful, at least in zdoom's renderer.

Just took a break. I got stuck on Map 22, the "Vile temple," or whatever. Died three times in a row. I'm playing on HMP. How does that even happen?

And yes, I found the planet graphic quite impressive myself, even on little ol' Chocolate Doom.

Edit: Some thoughts on Infinity... I played it many months ago, and what I recall is I disliked the use of damage floors but otherwise loved the mapping, except for the elevator maze in E1M2. Basically, every time I see stuff like that I groan, 'cause it slows the flow of the level to a standstill. Also really liked E1M8 for the huge central battle. [/B]

The first two maps are excruciating due to the overuse of hitscanners in conjunction with unavoidable damaging floors and practically no armor. I had to take the elevator maze at a snail's pace since I had only about 30-40 health and no armor, and without freelook, you're at the mercy of anything waiting for you at the top/bottom of the elevator shafts.

And yes, the next-to-final battle of E1M8 was neat. Annoying as they were, I thought the shotgun snipers attacking from the windows surrounding the arena was a great idea.

kmxexii said:

You can't, at least, legally.

Shit, I was afraid it was going to be commercial product or something. Which basically means that it's out of print and faded into obscurity by now.

I just tried out the demo of it, and it has a really neat atmosphere, and some of the coolest music I've heard in a 90's game. :)

Does it ever appear on Ebay by any chance? I'd be willing to pay up to $60 for a physical copy.

In the last few years, I've periodically searched Ebay for the full version of Hell2Pay, but to no avail. I've more-or-less given up now, since I didn't really care for the demo wad that much in the first place. You might have better luck, though.

Megamur said:

Just took a break. I got stuck on Map 22, the "Vile temple," or whatever. Died three times in a row. I'm playing on HMP. How does that even happen?

And yes, I found the planet graphic quite impressive myself, even on little ol' Chocolate Doom.

The first two maps are excruciating due to the overuse of hitscanners in conjunction with unavoidable damaging floors and practically no armor. I had to take the elevator maze at a snail's pace since I had only about 30-40 health and no armor, and without freelook, you're at the mercy of anything waiting for you at the top/bottom of the elevator shafts.

And yes, the next-to-final battle of E1M8 was neat. Annoying as they were, I thought the shotgun snipers attacking from the windows surrounding the arena was a great idea.

I use freelook explicitly to admire the architecture of the maps I play. Otherwise I strictly keep it at an even level. It's not perfect but playing without freelook entirely bugs the shot out of me.

I'm not sure how vile temple plays on hmp, I trudged through it on uv. It's really nasty, but easier from pistol start than MAP31, I think? Whichever secret map slot that doesn't have the fuses.

Vile temple is just rough all around. It's partly the viles but really everything in the map does a good job of wearing you down. There's also at least one corridor where if you fuck up is kind of hard to recover from (or maybe I just suck). The secrets help quite a bit.

I distinctly recall beginning e1m2 of infinity with sub 30% health and having to force a pistol restart because I just could not deal with the hitscanner hell. I think that was roughly when I decided to challenge myself with pistol starts / no saves for every map played afterward.

You know, that's one instance where doing a pistol restart probably would've been preferable to reloading a savegame. You'd get a replacement shotgun in no time, and you already had diddly for armor. At least you'd get 100% health that way.

And then I beat Eternity and Serenity again, too. I can't decide if Serenity's E3M7 is one of the best or one of the worst maps in the series. It's different, that's for sure. A shame the final battle of Serenity is so laughably easy, especially if you find the not-very-obscure secret right beforehand.