Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

I love those bots you sometimes find that run around with you in the level.

It's kind of like having a retarded friend to help you out :3

Here's a weird bug I discovered while doing a run with my edited id level PWAD called Doom Co-op...

You lose your invulnerability immediately after executing the monster despite your screen is still inverted.

It maybe because the "finisher" moves uses the green
spheres god mode effect, and removes the god mode effect
when it's done preforming the move. (but that just what
I think might be causing that bug to happen.)

Nice changes, but I kinda loved old shotgun sound.
Still waiting for shotgun's unloading function.
Is there's any way to make rocket launcher and barrels be able to set some enemies on fire? For example, enemies within certain radius of explosion may be caught in flames, instead of taking direct damage from explosion. Also I'd love to see carbonization effect for deaths from BFG.
Is magazine ammo meter turned off? Because all I can see is overall ammo count (with and without BrutalDoomClassicSBARFix.wad)

Mr. Chris said:

Oh, and here's a gameplay video of 0.10

Uhmmm.....why does the zombie that catches fire at 4:00 scream like a little girl? Aren't the zombies basically just animals?

Also, I have been playing the latest posted version of this mod for about 8 level now and I think that the monsters are grossly overpowered now. Monsters that were already very tough in the first place can now just insta-kill you, and on top of that you also have to deal with all of the limitations like no longer having unlimited ammo magazines which makes it even harder. I don't get it why increasing the amount of damage dealt by monsters was really needed, it just makes the game more unbalanced.

And the SpiderMastermind.........Ugh.

I always open up the PK3 and restore the monsters' health to their original (Zombie 20, sergeant 30, chaingunner 70, etc) and especially the boss's health back to 3000 and 4000 respectively.

The blur replacement I remove because I want partial invisibility not some marine.

Mr. Chris said:

I always open up the PK3 and restore the monsters' health to their original (Zombie 20, sergeant 30, chaingunner 70, etc) and especially the boss's health back to 3000 and 4000 respectively.

The blur replacement I remove because I want partial invisibility not some marine.

Wait.......so not only do the monsters inflict way more damage then they usually do, but they also have MORE health on top of that?

No offense to the OP who has been doing a fantastic job on this mod, but how is this in any way suppose to be balanced? The player has more handicaps then before (the player has to reload his guns, and becomes slow after his health drops below 25) and the monsters are so powerful now that locations that were already very hard to beat are now almost impossible because all that is needed to insta-kill you now are 1 or 2 shotgun zombies.

If possible, could you send me the modified PK3 so that I also don't have to deal with the overpowered monsters? Or would that ruin my saved games?

You don't slow down anymore when below a certain health level.

@hardcore: Yea, the 0.10 one tho. I'm gonna wait for the official bugfix version before editing it. I do all the editing with SlumpEd so it shouldn't be too hard to do simple line removals and saving it.

It would work if you load it up but only after the next level starts.

Mr. Chris said:

You don't slow down anymore when below a certain health level.

Slowing down is the least serious problem. The problem is that the changes to the monsters make them overpowered. At times I almost feel like I am playing Call of Duty instead of Doom because I can't use the typical Doom tactics anymore and have to spend a lot of time behind cover just to prevent myself from getting killed in like 2 sec.

While this mod adds lots of really cool new stuff, it should not mess with the core gameplay in this fashion. Even when using the mod the game should feel and play like Doom, not like call of Duty with Doom monsters.

EDIT: I hope I did not come off as angry, that wasn't my intention. I was just sharing my opinion on the mod.

EDIT: Also, might I suggest that the riffle and the minigun don't use the same ammo? The riffle is useful but it just feels like a waste to use it when I can use the ammo for the minigun instead.

That would make it a pain in the ass to scrounge for certain ammos, so I prefer them to share ammo. Also the shell casings for the minigun should be a little smaller.

This mod RULES!!! I can't wait till the next version comes out. 0.9 is a blast to play and this pumps new energy into the game. :D Chaingun is awesome and LOVE how the plasma gun fries them to a crisp hehe.

Awesome, however there is one issue that is actually bothering me:
When holding down the fire button with the shotgun, you do not continue to fire, you have to click every time.

It's not that it is particularly hard to do this, but it's kind of wired into my brain to just hold it when i want to continuously fire, I keep finding myself not firing when I mean to and it's got me killed a few times heh.

Awesome otherwise.

Is there a way to remove the new fireball effect, i like everything you have done in this mod except for the flame the imp's use, i always loved the iconic sphere's filling up my screen

Found a very strange bug.

When executing a fatality, the player will grab the demon and will go into 3rd person, but after half a second or less, it goes back to first person with the fatality still being executed. While in first person, the hands appear to be doing the very beginning of the reload animation for the fists, but it repeats the first fourth of a second, until the fatality is over. Health is still gained, and the players weird fist animation stops after the fatality and returns to normal after.

Bug found while playing Speed Of Doom Map 03.

I've had that bug happen once to me too Ramb, his hands were twitching as the execution in first person occurred.

Are you sure you are not playing an older version (pre-0.11) of BrutalDoom, because the rifle sound is nothing like the alt-SSG shots and I see no issue with the animation since it looks pretty smooth to me..not to mention I do believe Perkrikstan did help with the smoother animations in the mod.

Mr. Chris said:

Are you sure you are not playing an older version (pre-0.11) of BrutalDoom, because the rifle sound is nothing like the alt-SSG shots and I see no issue with the animation since it looks pretty smooth to me..not to mention I do believe Perkrikstan did help with the smoother animations in the mod.

The file's name is brutaldoom12.pk3, downloaded from the links in the OP.

I know I'm a little late here, but I've been playing Brutal Doom and enjoy it very much, but though I'd add a few suggestions for the next release. Keep in mind that I LOVE this mod and just want to suggest the following to make it even better.

1. Blood is pixilated and detailed on floors, but filtered and vague on walls. Obviously there is a consistency issue here.
2. The blood splat/drip effect when you shoot an enemy point blank is cool, but it's also a bit confusing because the screen briefly flashes red, tricking you into thinking you've sustained damage. Maybe only the blood dripping effect should be present, or the red flash turned down.
3. Some of the death animations could be cleaned up. This is nit picking, but the blood looks a bit harsh in places; a few intermediate colors could be used to smooth out the differences. This would achieve an anti-aliasing effect, making the blood look more natural rather than hastily drawn on.
4. The "fuck you" move is funny, but why the scratchy, low-bitrate audio clip?
5. When performing beserker moves in tight spaces, the camera frequently jumps out of the boundaries of the map, which can be jarring and confusing. I don't know if there is an easy solution for this, but perhaps the camera could be careful not to clip so much.

Rambosee said:

Found a very strange bug.

When executing a fatality, the player will grab the demon and will go into 3rd person, but after half a second or less, it goes back to first person with the fatality still being executed. While in first person, the hands appear to be doing the very beginning of the reload animation for the fists, but it repeats the first fourth of a second, until the fatality is over. Health is still gained, and the players weird fist animation stops after the fatality and returns to normal after.

Bug found while playing Speed Of Doom Map 03.

So, if I understand right, the fatality starts, but at the middle of it, the camera breaks, and goes back to first person? Weird, I already got reports (and have seen myself too) of fatalities not getting executed at all, but never something like this. Can you record a video of this?

SweatyGremlins said:

Is there a way to remove the new fireball effect, i like everything you have done in this mod except for the flame the imp's use, i always loved the iconic sphere's filling up my screen

Open the pk3 with Slade 3, and in the IMP lump, scroll down until you find an actor called "NewFireBall Replaces Doomimpball", (or something like this), and delete it.

Mike.Reiner said:

Awesome, however there is one issue that is actually bothering me:
When holding down the fire button with the shotgun, you do not continue to fire, you have to click every time.

It's not that it is particularly hard to do this, but it's kind of wired into my brain to just hold it when i want to continuously fire, I keep finding myself not firing when I mean to and it's got me killed a few times heh.

Awesome otherwise.

This feature is going to be re-added in 0.13

Marnetmar said:

Reverting the plasma rifle sprite to the Doom 64-like one, and the old rifle sound, is something I am thinking about, but, about the SSG reload animation, dude, I think it is exactly the same from 2 or 3 versions ago :P

GoatLord said:

I know I'm a little late here, but I've been playing Brutal Doom and enjoy it very much, but though I'd add a few suggestions for the next release. Keep in mind that I LOVE this mod and just want to suggest the following to make it even better.

1. Blood is pixilated and detailed on floors, but filtered and vague on walls. Obviously there is a consistency issue here.
2. The blood splat/drip effect when you shoot an enemy point blank is cool, but it's also a bit confusing because the screen briefly flashes red, tricking you into thinking you've sustained damage. Maybe only the blood dripping effect should be present, or the red flash turned down.
3. Some of the death animations could be cleaned up. This is nit picking, but the blood looks a bit harsh in places; a few intermediate colors could be used to smooth out the differences. This would achieve an anti-aliasing effect, making the blood look more natural rather than hastily drawn on.
4. The "fuck you" move is funny, but why the scratchy, low-bitrate audio clip?
5. When performing beserker moves in tight spaces, the camera frequently jumps out of the boundaries of the map, which can be jarring and confusing. I don't know if there is an easy solution for this, but perhaps the camera could be careful not to clip so much.

1. I could make better decal textires if I knew how to import it. Seems like even if I edit the same texture, and import, for some reason it will look like if it had a 90% translucency effect :P
2. I really would like to remove the red flash. It only shows up because the blood actually damages the player in order to detect if he is close enough to make it splash in the screen.
3. Something I can think about in the future
4. Because it's the only "fuck yourself" scream that I could find with the voice in the mood that can really fit with Doomguy's anger.
5. I am still trying to find out why the chasecam camera script doesn't works like the original Zdoom chasecam.

Mr. Chris said:

There is an 0.13 test version on the ST thread right now.

But it has that bug causing players to unable to move after doing a fatality in a pinkie. That's the reason why I only released it in the ST forums. I will fix it on v13test2, and post here, and in the other places latter.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

So, if I understand right, the fatality starts, but at the middle of it, the camera breaks, and goes back to first person? Weird, I already got reports (and have seen myself too) of fatalities not getting executed at all, but never something like this. Can you record a video of this?

Sure, I'll do that. I don't know how to recreate the bug, but luckily, the bug appears to stay after making a save game and loading it, and I have the original save game where this glitch has occurred. I'll get it recorded probably around tomorrow.

Side note, after executing the glitch once, for all the fatalities that follow after, the glitch will continue to happen, unless a new game is started.

Yea, using Smash Mode only on demons is the best way to get around it until test2.

You see the video I posted on the third-to-first fatality weirdness?

Go to 1:47 to see it.

Well, this is sort of like mine. The differences are that after performing the glitch, it will happen on all the following fatalities, and it will continue to happen even if you save a game, re-launch, and launch the save game. Also, your instantly breaks into first person. Mine stays in 3d for a second or so, then it breaks. But otherwise, that's pretty much how the glitch looks like. The only thing that could explain the differences is...

Using first test version of 0.13 of BrutalDoom on this recording.

I was using 0.12. So it seems that 0.13 resolved the bug a little, but not fully. But who knows, maybe my version of the bug can still happen in 0.13.

Hope this helps Sergeant_Mark_IV.