Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Beautiful Doom 5.3 READY

Hi, people. Here's Beautiful Doom 5.3. It's going to be in /incoming soon.

It's GZDoom-only. ZDoom-support is not intended and if it's there, that's purely accidental.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I was often uploading new mini-versions of 5.2. Now it's completed and it's 5.3.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry I'm creating a new topic, I couldn't find the original one (maybe it's lost already, there were too many posts about older versions anyway).

************LINK TO THE FILE************
https://sites.google.com/site/jekyllgrim/all-for-doom/wads-mods/BDoom53.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 (normal Zip archive)
************LINK TO THE FILE************

It's not that much different from 5.0. Gibs look noticeably different and much more emphasized.

Also some of the incorrect weapon firespeed is fixed. Also made some things look a bit better and added a couple of effects

Of course I fixed the annoying green blood bug.

5.3 compared to 5.2.9 has only three changes: non-shootable objects like trees now have original behavior (bullets fly through, projectiles don't), plasmaballs have better looks and trails, a new titlepic.

===========================================================================
*** WHAT'S NEW IN 5.3 COMPARED TO 5.0 ***

--------ADDITIONS--------

ADDED: MUCH BETTER GIBS:
* better sounds,
* more graphics,
* thicker bloodtrails for flying gibs,
* added TORSO GIBS (in addition to limb gibs),
* added special gibs for bosses.

ADDED: SPECIAL DEATHS:
* black "smoky deaths" for monsters kileld with plasma weapons
(except the strongest demons);
* fire deaths for weak monsters killed by Imps' or Mancubi's fireballs

ADDED: better PLASMA effects:
* smaller plasmaballs,
* better trails for plasmaballs,
* lensflare effect for plasmaballs,
* cooler plasma explosions,
* huge green BFG ball fog

ADDED: BERSERK FIST EFFECTS:
* separate animation, sounds and SFX for Fist when used with Berserk

ADDED: 'Advanced deaths toggle' function to replace 'Advanced gibbing toggle' which turns on/off not only gibbing, but also fire and smoky deaths.

ADDED: new TITLEPIC

---------CORRECTIONS--------

FIXED: WEAPONS:
* incorrect attackspeeds for Fist,
* incorrect firespeed for SSG,
* disappearing SSG alt attack delay between shots
* missing Plasmaballs' dynamic lighting

FIXED: MONSTERS:
* GREEN BLOOD appearing instead of red
* overpowered Spider Mastermind
* Cyderdemon's head falling in weird positions

FIXED: DECORATIONS:
* missing dynamic lights for red and green TORCHES
* brown splash for green mud/acid and green splash for brown mud
* missing improved non-solid versions of decorative dead bodies
* sprites of some decorative dead bodies
* bleeding dead bodies spawning blood drops at the same time

-------IMPROVEMENTS------

IMPROVED: each mod module now contains only the sounds and effects used within this module. Thus you can use BDoom_weapons.wad and BDoom_monsters wad in the following combinations:
1) Only BDoom_weapons.wad: your weapons have new sounds and special effects, monsters' weapons also have new sounds, but monsters do not show any special effects;
2) Only BDoom_monsters.wad: your weapons and monsters' weapons use standard sounds, monsters show special deaths, but do not spawn empty weapon casings;
3) BDoom_weapons.wad AND BDoom_monsters.wad: your AND monsters' weapons use new sounds and show special effects, monsters spawn empty weapon casings when shooting.

IMPROVED: WEAPONS:
* smaller PLASMABALLS and better Plasmaball's trail
* BULLET PUFF effects -- added sparks, improved ricochet, smoke
* CHAINSAW PUFF
* PISTOL emits smoke only after you let go off the fire button
* sprite for Rocket explosion

IMPROVED: DECORATIONS:
* Empty casings and various debris as well as blood drops now disappear after a while, but only when you don't see them
* Blood drops, light halos and other SFX spawned by decorations are only shown when the player can see them (less RAM needed)
* decorative dead bodies spawn blood more rarely and randomly
* behaviour of several complex objects, like Heads On A Stick
* improved texture animation definitions
* explosive barrels don't spawn fragments when explode

IMPROVED: MONSTERS:
* better FIREBALLS for all monsters
* different, less resource consuming (!) fire for LOST SOUL

I love the visual modifications this makes, but I already have a sound replacement set that I prefer. Since you've done this in a modular fashion, is it possible to get a version in which the sounds have not been replaced?

Herculine said:

I love the visual modifications this makes, but I already have a sound replacement set that I prefer. Since you've done this in a modular fashion, is it possible to get a version in which the sounds have not been replaced?

Well, I highly doubt that I'm going to create a version without sounds, since sounds are naturally part of the mod, and I naturally don't want to take parts out. Besides, in order to reset all sounds back to original I'd have to go through all of the actors again and manually set them back, which is actually quite bothersome.

My simplest suggestion would be not to use all of the modules in the mod: e.g. if you don't use BDoom_monsters.wad, but use you sound replacement wad (gzdoom -file bdoom_weapons.wad bdoom_objects.wad soundreplacement.wad), all of the monster sounds will revert to original (but of course you'll lose the monster effects).

Also, not all of the sounds are replaced in BD (most of the monster sounds aren't), thus you can use it along with your sound replacement wad and get some of your preferable replacements. That is, of course, in case your sound replacement is actually just a sound replacement and doesn't contain any Decorate actor definitions.

UPD:

Of course I COULD create a fourth mod module with all of the sounds in it. However, I think this may prove really inconvenient for those people, who only want to use parts of the mod (e.g. those who only want to play with weapons and weapon sounds will have to manually load BDoom_weapons.wad and BDoom_sounds.wad, which I'm sure will be much more irritating for most of them than just using BDoom_weapons.wad).

Nevertheless, I'll think about it. I have been thinking over making a 4th mod module which would contain some general actor definitions, maybe sounds and maybe some other lumps used with any module.

Did you fix the blood splats staying on the ground for an indefinite amount of time? That was known to cause FPS issues over time on a large map due to excess sprites, nevertheless nice to see a new version of the mod.

BurningCadavre said:

Did you fix the blood splats staying on the ground for an indefinite amount of time? That was known to cause FPS issues over time on a large map.

Yes, empty casings and various debris as well as blood drops now disappear after a while, but only when you don't see them. In about 2-3 minutes.

However, FPS drop can be caused sometimes when gibs fall into 3D-floor water: they just spin there without landing anywhere and don't disappear at all while spurting out blooddrops all the time. For this the Advanced Deaths Toggle function has to be used in order to remove all present gibs from the level.

The flare effects seem to mysteriously disappear when you turn on notarget, but come back when you turn it off.

BurningCadavre said:

The flare effects seem to mysteriously disappear when you turn on notarget, but come back when you turn it off.

That is done on purpose. This is done so that off-screen objects do not load memory and CPU by showing effects nobody can see at the moment.

The flare effect, as well as some other effects (e.g. blood drops spawned by hanging corpses) if there's no possible line of sight between you and them (and in case of torches a different type of script is used that checks whether they can "see" you). Obviously, this also occurs if notarget cheat is used.

Added 5.2.2 where I finally added separate Fist puff and animation for Berserk, which I was planning long time ago.

Found a bug.

Hold down alt fire of SSG to fire one barrel at a time. But if you continue holding it down for a longer time you will start firing both barrels simultaneously after reload completes.

BlueEagle said:

Found a bug.

Hold down alt fire of SSG to fire one barrel at a time. But if you continue holding it down for a longer time you will start firing both barrels simultaneously after reload completes.

This was not really a bug, but also not really a feature. It seemed quite logical (as holding down the alt attack button is essentially the same as using primary attack all the time), however I admit that it's uncomfortable as you often fire both barrels when you actually wanted to fire one.

I found a way to fix it (so that the delay between single shots is preserved even if you hold down the button), it'll be soon in 5.2.3.

Thanks for the report :)

Question, what's up with the blue torches having dynamic light and the red and green ones do not? This has been persistent in every version.

BurningCadavre said:

Question, what's up with the blue torches having dynamic light and the red and green ones do not? This has been persistent in every version.

Seriously? o_O I haven't noticed that o_O

I'll check this right away.

UPD:

You're right :) Fixed. Thanks for reports, I'll put your nickname in the txt when I upload the mod to /incoming.

Forrestmark9 said:

Did you fix the green blood sometimes coming from other monsters aswell?

Check out the first post in the topic. Yes, I did.

Just uploaded 5.2.5:

IMPROVED: each mod module now contains only the sounds and effects used within this module. Thus you can use BDoom_weapons.wad and BDoom_monsters wad in the following combinations:
1) Only BDoom_weapons.wad: your weapons have new sounds and special effects, monsters' weapons also have new sounds, but monsters do not show any special effects;
2) Only BDoom_monsters.wad: your weapons and monsters' weapons use standard sounds, monsters show special deaths, but do not spawn empty weapon casings;
3) BDoom_weapons.wad AND BDoom_monsters.wad: your AND monsters' weapons use new sounds and show special effects, monsters spawn empty weapon casings when shooting.

The Hell Knight, Baron of Hell, Mancubus and Arch Vile do not have "burned" states when killed with the plasma rifle / BFG.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, this mod truly is great!

EDIT: Oh dear, it appears this mod doesn't work in Ultimate Doom / 1 because "Script error, "BDoom_Objects.wad:ANIMDEFS line 55: Unknown texture SLIME01".

Lastly, a small nitpick, there's green puddles when you're walking in brown slime and brown puddles when you're walking in green slime.

BurningCadavre said:

The Hell Knight, Baron of Hell, Mancubus and Arch Vile do not have "burned" states when killed with the plasma rifle / BFG.

Well, they are kind of not intended to. You know, they are tough monsters and all... and tough monsters do not have some of the special deaths (like gibbing as well). Also they are high level demons, so maybe high temperatures really do not affect them that much and they don't get scorched :)
(Also, these are actually "smoky death" states. "Burned" states appear when some of the minor monsters are killed with Imps' or Mancubi's fireballs. They look different.)

BurningCadavre said:
EDIT: Oh dear, it appears this mod doesn't work in Ultimate Doom / 1 because "Script error, "BDoom_Objects.wad:ANIMDEFS line 55: Unknown texture SLIME01".

Yeah, I've done something wrong with them... It's about the floor textures I guess. Thank's for the report! I'll fix this in the coming release.

BurningCadavre said:
Lastly, a small nitpick, there's green puddles when you're walking in brown slime and brown puddles when you're walking in green slime. [/B]

That's interesting. Seems like it's Enjay's screwup, as I only used his splashes. But if it's true, I'll try to fix this as well (haven't noticed that myself).

Thanks for the reports :)

There is a strange flickering of textures (for a short moment) including clipping when entering an area with any warping liquids that goes away fairly quickly but is very noticeable. I'm not sure if this is hardware related, be it my video card or the OGL renderer (didn't test in software). I've noticed this problem before when I modified the falls once to not look squiggly (just move smoothly downward). The problem can be eliminated altogether by removing the warping flats/textures, though it defeats the purpose of the effect to begin with. Anyone know what's causing this to happen?

Otherwise so far so good.

I see you got to updating again :) Here's something I did for my own copy.

Use this in a textures lump instead of a textures1 or 2 lump. Increases compatibility with Ultimate Doom and no longer requires including the textures.

*removed*

Xtife said:

I see you got to updating again :) Here's something I did for my own copy.

Use this in a textures lump instead of a textures1 or 2 lump. Increases compatibility with Ultimate Doom and no longer requires including the textures.

Thanks for the suggestion, it will be there in the next release. I'm thinking about changing animation of falling liquid textures, maybe removing 'warp' from them, because they look really weird on small walls (the 'warp' makes them look as if they the falling speed is variating).

UPD: you can now remove the code from your message as it takes lots of place in the topic :) I've copied it into the wad.

Three more issues, mostly small:

Red blood squirts out of Caco on one of the deaths, the one where it's face caves in, it's only a little bit of red blood but it's noticeable.

Whether intentional or by accident, the sounds Lost Soul fragments make when they hit the ground sounds like shotgun shell casings dropping.

Lastly, the chainsaw doesn't seem to be nearly as effective as it should be, it's more common to get chomped mid-sawing when using it on a Demon. Either it's too slow or it's just not powerful enough.

BurningCadavre said:

Three more issues, mostly small:

Red blood squirts out of Caco on one of the deaths, the one where it's face caves in, it's only a little bit of red blood but it's noticeable.

Whether intentional or by accident, the sounds Lost Soul fragments make when they hit the ground sounds like shotgun shell casings dropping.

Lastly, the chainsaw doesn't seem to be nearly as effective as it should be, it's more common to get chomped mid-sawing when using it on a Demon. Either it's too slow or it's just not powerful enough.

Noticed red blood in Caco's death already, I'll try to find out what's wrong.

The sound I use for solid gibs (LS fragments and Revenant's skull) are a bit different from shotgun shells sound, though similar. However I may have put the wrong sound.

The thing about chainsaw can't be true, it's actually a bit more effective than original. But there's a difference: in contrast to original it doesn't 'draw' you to the monster you're sawing, thus you can maneuver better, but you have to push towards the enemy in order to keep sawing. If you do, it's more effective as it's sawing with the same attackspeed and a bit faster.

That helps clarify it better, I usually pull away from the enemy in stock Doom to lessen the chance of being injured during a chainsaw attack.

BurningCadavre said:

That helps clarify it better, I usually pull away from the enemy in stock Doom to lessen the chance of being injured during a chainsaw attack.

Well, yeah, that's how it works with standard Doom chainsaw: you saw, it draws you to the enemy, and you're stepping away because chainsaw doesn't break Demon's attack with 100% chance. In my mod you don't have to pull away that much as the chainsaw breaks Demon's attack with 100% chance and is almost as effective agains Cacos.

However, I haven't noticed myself that stepping back may render it less effective and nobody else have reported it so far. It's kind of strange, as it's faster and its range is a bit longer than original.

UPD:
I found a way to fix the Chainsaw issue, as A_Saw can now be manually edited in order to set the proper puff and sound for the attack. In the upcoming release Chainsaw will be just like original one.

Have to say it, even with the latest version, barrel explosion especially in map 23 make the game to drop to 1FPS, it's just totally insane, you have to wait almost 30 sec to get your FPS back to full speed and yes i have a pretty decent computer that can run newer games easily on higher graphic settings.

Coolster said:

Have to say it, even with the latest version, barrel explosion especially in map 23 make the game to drop to 1FPS, it's just totally insane, you have to wait almost 30 sec to get your FPS back to full speed and yes i have a pretty decent computer that can run newer games easily on higher graphic settings.

Yes. That's why I have "Weapon effects, trails and debris toggle" function (default button - letter O). And I also have "Advanced deaths toggle" which can be used to prevent the same situation in case of using kill monsters cheat.

phobosdeimos1 said:

I got a Script error with the objects.wad to do with TEXTURES line 1, Expected ',' got 'BFALL01'

?

Is it Zdoom compatible?

I'm not sure. Suppose not. Even if it was, many things wouldn't look right, e.g. light halos, png sprites, etc.

The toggles are useful, I turn off effects when blowing up a lot of barrels then turn it back on. Or if I make a huge bloody mess with the rocket launcher, as I tend to sinisterly do.