Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Beautiful Doom 5.3 READY

V1cT said:

Well, I've noticed that the smoke that pours out of the chaingun after it's secondary fire tends to murder my frame rate.

Then again, so does running GZDoom with dynamic lights on. Hah.

Well, this has NEVER been reported before, and I hadn't experienced that even on my old computer and even on my work netbook. So... don't think I can help.

Here are the new chaingun sprites:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BetterChaingunSprites.zip
Sorry for taking all this time to upload. I have been busy with my projects.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

It's not intended to. It's plasma, not electrcity.

Plasma is an ionized gas. When its ions gets in contact with the ions in the object/surface that is hit, that has inverted polarity, it's supposed to make a big flash. And, your plasma balls just vanish in the air.

And fire always goes up a bit.

Wrong. Fire's behavior depends entirely of the ambient. The fire for lost souls can burn from botom to upside because the Lost Soul is standing still, but the fireball is moving at a high speed, and the air won't let the fire burn in that way.

I personally don't think it's important or that it looks too unnatural.

It's not just a visual thing. It can fuck up the things on some maps, like Doom 2's map 19 for example. I can access a secret area at the game start that should only be accessible at late game via teleport, blowing the torches away to clear a patch for it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:
[BIt's not just a visual thing. It can fuck up the things on some maps, like Doom 2's map 19 for example. I can access a secret area at the game start that should only be accessible at late game via teleport, blowing the torches away to clear a patch for it. [/B]

You see, there's nothing I can really do except reverting the objects' behavior back to original, where they can only be hit by projectiles, but do not block bullets. I don't like this too much, but I can do that. There's no other way to make an object +SHOOTABLE and totally immovable at the same time.

BurningCadavre said:

I prefer the original behavior of using static objects as cover, even if it is cheaty.

Maybe I'll revert back to it.

I'm sorry, I've been having very few free time recently (and still do so). The only things I'm going to do now is making solid objects unshootable again (like trees and torches), adding plasmaball explosion and adding a TITLEPIC. After that I'm ready to release it properly. I haven't been able to create a proper TITLEPIC yet, though, and I've got only one suggestion so far.

Hello, guys, I've finally made it. I switched the behavior of non-shootable objects without SFX (like trees, columns) back to original (bullets fly through, projectiles don't), made cooler looking plasmaballs with proper plasma explosions and added a new titlepic. Finally!

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Hello, guys, I've finally made it. I switched the behavior of non-shootable objects without SFX (like trees, columns) back to original (bullets fly through, projectiles don't), made cooler looking plasmaballs with proper plasma explosions and added a new titlepic. Finally!

Thanks! I love your mod. I have been using beautiful doom since a very old version now, and I will keep using it to play all wads!

keep up the good work!

it doesn't work in Zdoom 2.5.0 or in Skulltag 0.98d i get an odd bug that says: Script error, "BDoom_Objects.wad:TEXTURES" line 1:
Expected ',', got 'BFALL01'.
does BDoom only works in GZDoom?

purpleyoshi13 said:

it doesn't work in Zdoom 2.5.0 or in Skulltag 0.98d i get an odd bug that says: Script error, "BDoom_Objects.wad:TEXTURES" line 1:

In the first post he says it's for GZDoom only.

purpleyoshi13 said:

I never planned for ZDoom or Skulltag support. If it works, it's by accident (and it'll probably have bugs), if it doesn't work, I don't know what's wrong. So yes, it's generally GZDoom-only.

P.S. It's strange though. There should be no "," after 'optional' keyword in texture definitions in TEXTURES.

purpleyoshi13 said:

ok fair enough. guess I'll try running BDoom on GZDoom.

You can try opening up BDoom_objects.wad, finding TEXTURES lump and... well, say, copy the text from there into Wordpad, then find and replace all " optional" with " optional," then put it back in TEXTURES and see if it works in Skulltag or ZDoom. If it does, it's weird.

Also, in ZDoom it won't look right anyawy because there are many png-sprites with additive translucency.

Don't mean to necropost, but figured this was better than starting a new thread.

Just wondering where the pistol, shotgun super shotgun and chaingun sounds are from that are used this mod.

This thread is in dire need of some screenshots. I for one have never played Beautiful DOOM, and would like to know, visually-speaking, what I'd be getting myself into before I download it.