Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Hell Superior

Go for source-port, if you ask me. While adhering to vanilla limitations is great for keeping one's goals focused (i.e. "I'm going to make a fully scripted, all new 1024x1024 textured, mp3 soundtracked, room-over-room set of 80 maps!!"), your screenshots tell me you probably dont need arbitrary limits to guide you (that is, You Know Your Shit).

The competitive speed demo scene is dead as far as I know, so if that's in the back of your head for sticking to vanilla, again I would tempt you towards the VPO Free Zone of Joy.

The generalized linedef actions in boom make mapping way less annoying for me, and no annoying all ghosts bug in cl9 I think.

You're familiar with limit removing right? As in your wad only works properly on ports that remove visplane (and various other) limits? You don't have to switch the map format to Boom.

I want to keep it in vanilla format because of my purist elitist faggot principles but I'm not even sure anyone uses vanilla/chocolate anymore, or even cares.

I love me a good Choco-romp on occasion, but I certainly don't begrudge a WAD for requiring a limit-removing port. I use GZDoom just as much as (if not more than) Chocolate Doom. Just don't force me to use Vavoom *COUGH KORAX HERITAGE COUGH*.

ultimatecarl said:

Just don't force me to use Vavoom *COUGH KORAX HERITAGE COUGH*.

what's so bad about it?

Basically, for whatever reason, using Vavoom feels "wrong" to me. I don't know why and I don't have any legitimate complaints, I just don't like it. :P

I'd say keep your map in doom2 format and just use a limit-removing port to remove visplane overflows. I think complete vanilla compatibility is also cool, but it looks like it would take a lot of work to fix your map, judging by the screenshots. So, I say just keep doing what you've been doing. Lots of people make limit-removing maps as well.

Vorpal said:

The competitive speed demo scene is dead as far as I know

lols wut?

I quite like mapping for vanilla, it's limitations generally keep me more focused and keeps from losing track of the primary objective of making a good level. If I could go back in time and make the megawad I'm working on be vanilla compatible I would.

ultimatecarl said:

Basically, for whatever reason, using Vavoom feels "wrong" to me. I don't know why and I don't have any legitimate complaints, I just don't like it. :P

Agreed.

DeathevokatioN said:

I quite like mapping for vanilla, it's limitations generally keep me more focused and keeps from losing track of the primary objective of making a good level. If I could go back in time and make the megawad I'm working on be vanilla compatible I would.

i really really agree with this. it's easier for me to be creative, not intimidated by freedom, when there are already limits set for me. though of course that doesn't work for everyone.

these maps look beautiful as they are, though, so i think you ought to go with limit removing. don't bother chopping your existing work up just to escape design freedom that you are clearly very comfortable with.

I will enter my chambers and debilitate over this for at least thirteen days. Look to the north. When the smoke changes from white to black, I will have made my decision.

After listening to community feedback and trying all the alternatives, I have decided to go with strict vanilla capability. I had to get rid of/join a couple of sectors and more or less ditch my fancy lighting effects, but I think it will be worth it. Making a nice looking wad doesn't really fall in line with my objectives. I'm going for strictly good gameplay first and then looks after that. I'm not going to make compromises for gameplay in any situation and I don't want to feel constrained by fancy looking sector and lighting effects by principle.

Mapping for vanilla capability is turning out great. It forces me to map more conservatively in the sense that the addition of more sectors should only come about when it is necessary for gameplay.

I had to go back and change a few things, but not many. The results are still just as fun as before, and any future mapping I will be doing in this will be done with the aim of making maps fun first.

Will any of these maps use the new textures you posted a long time ago? I really liked those. I also like how green all these shots are.

jute said:

Will any of these maps use the new textures you posted a long time ago? I really liked those. I also like how green all these shots are.

No, it uses all stock textures.