Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

DHspd002: Speedmapping Session! Sign up (Starting June 24th)

As dhspd001 finishes up I have decided to do one more, this time correctly. This is the thread to sign up for it. It will start June 21st 8:00 PM EST and end June 22nd 8:00 EST the theme will be a mountain top fortress with a canyon and some caves filled with blood. Again slaughter style gameplay.

I thought the idea of speedmapping was to announce the session in advance but not theme until the session is about to start?

Sorry, just sticking my nose in...

I think if I give people some time to think about the theme, but only a certain period of time to map, it will make for better maps IMO. Btw, it will 100 minutes as usual.

I don't think I want to embarras myself and make more speed maps for you doomhero! You brought out the most horrible side of my mapping! :P

I might attempt the dangerous art of speedmapping... Oh, and I'm not scheduled to work that day. No excuses wheeeeee!

Why isn't this during a weekend? I might give it a try if I have the time (I'm assuming 100 minutes as usual?)...

I would participate, but I don't want to make slaughter maps. Even less I want to make slaugher speedmaps.
It's more harder (and more interesting!) to make a good speedmap with "normal" gameplay, without hordes of monsters.

Also I agree with purist. It is much more fun when you don't know what theme to expect.

We can change it to next weekend if you all want. I'm gonna be away this weekend so this weekend is no good. Also, if you want, I can post a brand new theme when the session starts for those who want a fresh theme, and you guys can pick either theme. Also, You don't have to do slaughtermaps, I just like them since I've gotten better at them.

DoomHero85 said:

...if you want, I can post a brand new theme when the session starts for those who want a fresh theme, and you guys can pick either theme. Also, You don't have to do slaughtermaps...

Cool, count me in then. :)

Yeah, I might be interested in another go at speedmapping, but I'm not keen to try doing so with slaughter gameplay again either, at least not for a while.

At this point, I can't yet say whether or not I'll have time to do this on the 21st-22nd anyway, but I guess you can count me in provisionally. I'm sure I could use some more practice for mapping under a deadline.

Count me in. I haven't touch Doombuilder 2 since since February and could use the practice.

I might try this as I never tried a speedmap session before, and I don't end up completing the map in said time before.

The theme for this speedmapping session is:

Your squadron has found a strange jungle island with hellish imagery. Further investigation yields there is a fortress leading to the underworld on this island paradise.

You may use any textures you need. Time limit is 120 minutes.

Ugh, jungle theme turned out decidedly not jungle theme. Oh well. Took well over an hour over the limit with playtesting, perhaps 20-30 minutes over without. I decided since you stated any textures goes, I'd use speed of doom as a resource. Because I like their texture mix ;) I didn't use too many textures from there - maybe 15 or so. Perhaps when this is compiled I'll put the textures into the wad, but I'm too tired now. The slot is map17, music is whatever sod map17 is, so that will also have to be ripped. This is of course if joshy and/or darkwave don't mind.

Balance is rather theoretical at the end;

Spoiler

sorry if the multiple sm destroy you. Should be lots of cover though.

I got the flats and midi isolated, but xwe crapped out on me when I had maybe half the textures. I'll try again ... in the meantime, if you want to play it, try selecting my wad then sod, and dragging both on prboom/zdoom/whatever and it should load right, or else flip em, experiment a bit. I think to demo it right should go sodfinal.wad then mywad.wad. Could be off on that.

E: Said f it and just pared it down to tex/flat + midi. If anyone wants to knock down the textures I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, 1mb zipped/4mb normal =/

shamwow

List of tex/flats. I could only identify half the tex before being forced to manually go down the list and delete =/

sidedef
ADEL_B14
ADEL_U20
BRICKVI3
BRICKVIN
GHMETAL1
GHMETAL3
GHMETAL5
GOTHBRIC
GOTHDOOR
GSTVINE2
MOULD
N5META19
PLUTVINE
TILE
W107_1

flat
ADEL_F48
BRIKBLAC
FLVINE1
FLVINE2
QFLAT04
TILE

It's a really cool map. And I think it does have a jungly theme to it. Nice. You can make another if you want and have time. Use the other theme i posted before :)

E: Anyone can make more than one map for this if they want.