Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

After looking into the matter I've decided I am going to try my hand at a slaughter map. Turns out I used to make those when I was first learning how to map, LOL. I'll make sure my submission is Doom 2 format. Meanwhile, I think I want to try a zDoom type slaughter house.

I've only been here an hour and I already love DoomWorld!

I decided to release my map separately, as it is quite different from what you guys make. Bye!=)

The map is now pretty much finished, the only thing that is left is some playtesting. Anyone wants to playtest for me?

EDIT: By finished I mean finished in terms of gameplay, there are still some visual tweaks that I might add to the map here and there.

Here are some screenshots:

Mind if I do some playtesting? I've been doing the same for Scoredoom.

Edit: I'm a huge fan of slaughtermaps, by the way.

gun_psycho said:

Mind if I do some playtesting? I've been doing the same for Scoredoom.

DoomHero85 said:

You don't have to ask me to playtest these guys. Just send me a link. Of course I'll playtest.

I will send both of you a download link to the current version of the map via PM. Once the two of you have played it, just post your thoughts back here on this thread :)

Ok, I see you guys dropping on ludicrous amount of monsters but I see no BFG or cells. What do? D:

1ntru said:

Ok, I see you guys dropping on ludicrous amount of monsters but I see no BFG or cells. What do? D:

Trust me, there's plenty of cells and a BFG not on my screens.

Also, 13,603.

Ok now that I finished that Creature of Despair map the fair way, time for a few things I liked about this map, and what needs to be improved on.

+No Archviles. This is good for an early-level map where the Archies aren't supposed to be introduced until later on in the mapset.

+Almost no switch hunting. The less of that, the better I always say.

+Only three revenants, and that's considering I'm not a fan of these guys, especially in huge groups.

-A little more medkits and ammo would be nice.

-A megasphere somewhere in the map would be wonderful, particularly if the player would save it until after they clear out the whole map.

All in all, the map took me 16:40 to finish, not counting the times I reloaded.

TrueDude said:
10,800. Also, using the Gothic Texture Pack now. [/B]

Nice screens, I'm liking the design even more so than the slaughtering, post the link

gun_psycho said:

Ok now that I finished that Creature of Despair map the fair way, time for a few things I liked about this map, and what needs to be improved on.

+No Archviles. This is good for an early-level map where the Archies aren't supposed to be introduced until later on in the mapset.

+Almost no switch hunting. The less of that, the better I always say.

+Only three revenants, and that's considering I'm not a fan of these guys, especially in huge groups.

-A little more medkits and ammo would be nice.

-A megasphere somewhere in the map would be wonderful, particularly if the player would save it until after they clear out the whole map.

All in all, the map took me 16:40 to finish, not counting the times I reloaded.

-Agreed about the Archviles. Though interestingly enough the OP complained about about the fact that there are no Archviles. But like you said if its a early map then its ok.

-Agreed again.

-Once again I agree.

-I will consider adding some more ammo on key locations.

-A good idea. I will find some place to fit it.

Also, I should probably point out that I found it really annoying having to fight all of the hell knights and the cacodemons during the later part of the map because of how much ammo they soaked so I replaced some of the hell knights with large groups of imps to decrease the tedium. The caco demons are still there though.

EDIT: Also, since I am still polishing the map I don't mind more people playtesting it.

I didn't know you were trying to make this an "easy" slaughtermap for earlier on in the wad. It's a very good map, I just thought you were going for something more...hardcore...pun intended.

rofl at some of these screenshots. especially since a lot of them just look like regular ass maps with the monster count multiplied for some reason.

DoomHero, you are my WAD hero. Holy hell this looks amazing. PLEASE let me play test the hell out of some of these? I wish i could make some maps.. ive got some grand ideas for this... But my idea would be somewhere along the lines of a room so huge, if your standing on one side you can not see the other cause its to far away.. There would be pillars and all kinds of things in the middle but the sheer size of it would be redonkulus. Then of course there would be the wave of monsters, 20K or so just kinda thrown in.. And just to top things off in a pissy attitude, put one of the Goat Head Spawner Boss (you know the final boss in doom 2) things at the other end of the room from where you start, and its been modified to shoot not 1 but 6 monster boxes, and its not only spawns regular monsters, but bosses as well! *ohh snap*. Hows that for pandemonium? Someone should take notes, i'm telling you this would be an epic map.

Ohh something i wanted to also suggest? Maybe one of you map makers could also make a weapons mod that would be good for the mega wad? Maybe some new monsters? Maybe not new monsters but i dont think the original weapons are good for slaughter maps.. Maybe stuff thats not like completely over powered but def gives you more of an edge, but not to much of edge that its no longer a slaughter map.. If anyone gets my drift?

Love these maps. Can't wait to see em.

One of my favorite slaughtermaps is Shai'tans Luck. This level is a unique level consisting of 1-2k creatures, in addition to some very well placed monster spawners which adds a unique perspective to slaughtermaps.

I don't understand how people can love Doom enough to a point of playing levels with insane amounts of monsters at once in one or more rooms, I tend to get bored easily because of how repetative and tedious they are, but that's just me.

Doomsfall said:

I don't understand how people can love Doom enough to a point of playing levels with insane amounts of monsters at once in one or more rooms, I tend to get bored easily because of how repetative and tedious they are, but that's just me.

There's a difference between good and bad slaughter.

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: When I load the WAD (MAP021) I can't find any new levels. Where is the map?

You must've got confused with the filename, Filesmelt put a 1 on the end of it for some reason. The map is on MAP02.

Grain of Salt said:

No.

This just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Slaughtermaps are not fun purely because they have a lot of monsters in them. Play the last ten maps of Scythe II, and look at how much purpose there is in the placement of every single monster. Those maps only have ~200 monsters in them, but they achieve a high standard of slaughter style gameplay because of the skill of the designer. Your maps will also succeed or fail based purely on your skill. No one is going to play them just to look at the monster count.

I love slaughtermaps, but the fact that everyone here is talking about nothing but monster count just makes me lose interest in this project. Sorry.

Looking forward to Jodwin's map, though. :p

I totally agree, slaughtermaps are a type of gameplay its not about the amount of enemies. Quality of your map is far more important then the amount of monsters.

And odd-o-matic ive played your map but sorry too say its kind of bad. The architecture is quite nice altough its not really original. The big flaw is the gameplay though, the rooms are far too small for the amount of monsters in it. The gameplay is annoying and boring too say the least. And it doesnt really resemble a slaughter map at all, its just a normal techlab map stuffed full of monsters. Id consider using the first version as a map for some other wad and making a new one for this project when youve played some sunder or deus vult.

Well. In my map anyway, I am paying a lot of attention to what monsters and where. Perhaps you'll have to play these to feel differently. My estimation of monsters was based on the last few years of slaughtermaps that I've seen. Y'know the huge ones that Eternal made, and Sunder. Of course there are good smaller slaughtermaps, but I'm trying to push the engines here.