Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NaturalTvventy

Cleverest secrets?

The 'cleverest secret exit' thread below is an interesting one, but I'd like to expand it out and just make it secrets in general. So are there any secrets from PWADs that you find memorable and/or innovative?

I generally suck at finding secrets, and anything beyond the 'slightly different and/or misaligned texture' type I usually can't find. And then grumble in my head about how no one makes interesting secrets, when really I probably just can't find any of the good ones. So tell me about your favorite secrets. You can even mention your own if you think it's pretty neat - perhaps no one has ever found it before, and your genius has gone forever unnoticed.

I made a secret in the Doom 2 version of "Spiraling Descent" where you have to find 3 secrets in a certain order to get the BFG. 2 of them involve shoot switches, and one is a precarious trek over a maze. I won't tell how to get the secrets though :)

Sometimes Secrets inside of secrets are interesting. also secrets that contain a switch that opens another secret somewhere is cool.

In addition to the old standby texture clue or candle in front of the wall/door, other types of subtle clues pointing to it can be interesting.

Long range shooting switches can take some time and some tries to find them. The occasional one of these ads a little re-playability.

Smedley wad had some really hard to find secrets until you got used to them.

Eternal Doom - Excalibur

This level can be an incredible pain - but after completing it I couldn't help but be impressed, and I wanted to play it again.

I also really like inter-connected secrets, kind of like The Abandoned Mines from Doom II had some cool connected areas. It's a really pleasing effect.

From memory:

MM2, MAP09, Soulsphere secret. 5 or 6 W1 teleport linedefs which warp you to the same place. Every player "should" resign at some point, to reach the secret one must cross every W1 teleport linedef to de-activate it, then the teleporter leads you to the soulsphere.

D2reload, MAP13, Soulsphere secret. A pool of nukage is rising, giving access to another part of the map. Before it rises fully, you may enter a niche with a soulsphere, only at one particular moment.

D2reload, MAP32, a sign spelling "TIXE" instead of "EXIT". Difficult to explain without full context, though, why it is so clever.

When I look through my Doom folder, I think I'll post some more.

Artifact by Paul Schmitz,quoting myself from a txt file attached to my demo (MAP01)

The main problem is to reach all the secrets. In artifact.txt we can read the "eye in symbol" passages, which lead to teleporters which lead to some goodies can be useful, but with a trade-off: you pick up some of them and you cannot pick up another ones later on (RL, plasma, megasphere...). Thus, I entirely skip these items. But we are not warned against chaingun/RL/plasma alternative. You MUST pick up the chaingun first if you want to get all three weapons (of course, no-one is going to pick up the chaingun when they already have one, so this is devious). RL and plasma are secrets, BTW, so they must be picked up for a Max demo.

The first secret in Strain MAP06 (megasphere). For me it was easy to find, but the very idea is unusual, especially for vanilla.

A corridor ends with a switch (red/green light). You press it, the floor behind you lowers, forming stairs and revealing two passages, left and right. Red light turns to permanent green, which means you "cannot" press the switch again. But if you do, walls open and you may enter a room with two sergeants. The switch light turns into red again. If you press the same switch for the third time, a megasphere lowers. One switch = three linedefs close to each other, pretty neat mapping trick.

NeoDoom Map 22 - Inside the castle courtyard, there is a damaged wall. If you get close enough, you will notice that there are a few tiny sectors forming the wall. You can climb these sectors until you reach the top of the wall, and get inside the tower full of goodies.