Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Shadow of the Damned: Boom-compatible WAD project (image invasion on page 2)

Oooh, so that was the enemy I missed! :P Yeah, something got messed up in there, then, because the Revenant never showed up for me.

I guess I also should have mentioned (not that it matters much, but still), all of my testing was done with the latest version of GZDoom.

Yes, I am testing on GZDoom too, because Boom can't run the WAD in Doom Builder. It's strange, because if I go to the folder where I store the WAD, I CAN RUN IT with PrBoom+!

Doesn't matter. Tetsing with GZDoom is easier. PRBoom+loading time is a bit long for me. :D

I played through map 1 (on UV with GZDoom) and I really enjoyed it! It wasn't too difficult, although,

Spoiler

The chaingunners that popped out when I got the red key were a pain. But this isn't a flaw with your map--chaingunners are malicious all the time.

Was something supposed to happen when I got the yellow skull key? The entryway was boarded up then I moved around on those two telepads and it opened again but no monsters, nothing had changed.

If you feel worried about not finishing another project, why don't you make this WAD 3-5 maps only--and that's it? If you want to continue with this theme and story, you can then just make a sequel. This way, you don't feel pressured to finish a big project, and you don't have to feel bad if you don't finish it--you already made a short but entertaining episode.

Good work, Katamori :)

fullmetalvaran33

Thanks, I fixed both of the problems. I made the final trap a bit easier, and the other parts a bit harder.

Well, my entire review has already been summed up by the previous testers, but I'll say how it went for me.

Started off on UV. Started doing the map, obliterating everything in sight. Hell knight posed no challenge. When I walked in the yellow key area and when it closed then opened it posed a wtf moment for me. I walked in again, where this time it locked up permenantly. Since nothing gave off an impression of a shootable switch, I enabled infinite ammo, went to console to type in sv_fastweapons 2 and fired away. After no result, I turned the fast weapons and inf ammo off, and noclipped through. Once I pressed the switch in the mini room after the small blood river, I saw the red thing, a clear indication that the red key is free now. Took the teleporter. Then spend 10 mins looking for the red key. Frustrated, I quit.

Opened it up in doom builder, and only then did I realize that there was a friggin lift sitting at my face the whole time with the key on it. And the whole time I thought it was teleporting me to the start assuming I already had the red key, hence it being so close to the red key door, so I went back to the teleporter a lot of times, trying to search the red key.

Gave it another shot now knowing where the key is. Obliterated everything in my path with the ammo on the ground being in the 100's and whatnot. Found out that you can get out of the yellow key room by going behind the key facing the door, then grabbing and running the key towards the door. Finally when I got to the red key, walls opened up. This is the only time in the whole map where a challenge was posed.

Verdict: Very easy, too much ammo and linear, but the detail and texturing is a sight to behold.

I was busy in recent days, so I had time only now to update the test version of the WAD.

All of the playtesters: try the previous link again (SH_D.WAD only, SH_D_RES.WAD is still the same) and hopefully you will download the new version of MAP01 and my tries on the other levels.

Nice to see progress. :) The rock formations in the last shots could use more height and texture variation though.

Khorus said:

Nice to see progress. :) The rock formations in the last shots could use more height and texture variation though.

Thanks! I wouldn't like to do it yet. Of course, later I will do, but now, it's the source of he river yet.

I'll make a complete river from the source to the ocean, and the first ways may be a bit boring.