Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Multiverse - Community Project for Boom

TrueDude said:

I hadn't thought about this but yeah, I was hoping for new maps in the spirit of the original. Homages are completely welcome though.

I asking to myself the same question of Lorenzo... and you give both of us a good answer!

A couple questions/ideas, not trying to hijack your project or anything:

- maybe the games could be from any era? not just 1974-1997? and the mapper chooses the game?
- any genre? could add games like silent hill, zelda, etc.?
- maybe each map could be its own wad, with its own format (doom2/boom/zdoom), its own dehacked/decorate, its own palette, its own resources, etc.? then package all the wads together?
- unlimited amount of mapping slots?

Those ideas pretty much ruin the universe/megawad feeling, but at least there would be no restrictions (except restrictions the mapper gives themself).

eternal slumber said:

- maybe the games could be from any era? not just 1974-1997? and the mapper chooses the game?

I pre-chose all the levels so people could have a list ready of both popular and fairly obscure shooters to chose from. I also took into account how well the games could transfer to the Doom engine and if the resources were available. I am flexible when it comes to the level list though, if it ends up someone really wants to make a map based on a game not listed I could remove one of the ones that's already put down.

eternal slumber said:

- any genre? could add games like silent hill, zelda, etc.?

I intended for this wad to be a celebration of the Golden Age of PC first person shooters. I had an idea for a community project once with a somewhat similar aspect as to what you've said but that can wait for another day. Maybe it will be the Multiverse 2 if this ever gets finished, who knows?

eternal slumber said:

- maybe each map could be its own wad, with its own format (doom2/boom/zdoom), its own dehacked/decorate, its own palette, its own resources, etc.? then package all the wads together?

I don't think this would work, both because this is meant to be a megawad and because there's at least a few people who won't map for a project if there's maps that are a different source port than they use. As processingcontrol put it a page ago:

processingcontrol said:

I'll probably leave if this becomes a zdoom WAD. I'm not against zdoom or anything, but the reason I joined this was to challenge myself in order to create a map that seemed similar to the build levels in the restrictive boom format.

Also I hate it when non-zdoom maps are in zdoom projects.

eternal slumber said:

- unlimited amount of mapping slots?

When would the project end? This would end up being like HPack, years upon years of work and still no end in sight. This would also go against the decision to stay in Boom.

I put limitations down so that people will end up actually completing the levels. If I ended up giving too much free reign the project would lose it's focus and eventually just shrivel up and die due to lack of interest or become so bloated it would feel like a jumbled mess. Not that any of these are bad ideas, they just aren't going for my original vision.

TrueDude said:

I like that idea you have for making maps fit together! That way the maps won't end up feeling completely unconnected.

Thanks!

eternal slumber said:

Id liek 2b removed plz

Alright. :/ Just because I'm curious, it isn't because I rejected your ideas was it?

A Hired Guns (Amiga, 1993) map would be pretty cool, and I think you can do all that in Boom format easily, minus the inventory part (not essential, too bad for the autosentry guns). It just needs pushable blocks (they're used as puzzles), deep water, and everything else like lifts is already covered in vanilla Doom.

I swear on my life that this is a baby boomer year for megawads. Don't think i'm ever gonna catch up on all these good releases. :)

TrueDude said:

Hmmm, since there are a lot of these first person shooters that use slopes and 3D floors, it may end up being better going that route. I know there's a lot of people here at Doomworld who are very against using modern source ports though. How many people would outright reject or leave the project if I allowed ZDoom in Hexen format for the levels? On that note, it wouldn't even be fully required either for the mappers, if anyone feels more comfortable using Boom that will be fine.

That's cool with me.

One advantage of not going ZDoom, Doomsday etc (i.e port specific) is so that the project doesn't end up with a load of maps that try to replicate each games features aside from Doom monsters and weapons.

Indeed, that's something else that should perhaps be made clearer. Should the maps try to replicate each games features and if so, to what degree.

Indeed, I might remove Corridor 7 from the list on account that it's the only game in the list as far as I can remember, that neither has no key's and locked doors or Doom style keys and locked doors.

After a bit of thinking on part of the project, I decided to change a detail that has been requested many times so far. Older maps such as Woflenstein and such can now use varied heights if they want to. The original spirit of the game will still be intact, and it will also help add to the atmosphere.

And you have a point about Corridor 7, Vermil. It's one of the few I've still been debating about for a while. I'll keep it on for now but if someone wants to make another more fitting game instead I'll take it off.

skaman86 has given up the Bad Toys 3D map because he couldn't get it working within Doom's pallete, and has switched to the Blood map. The secret map is up for grabs again.

On another note, for those who want the Strife textures, for a previous (canned) project I already had them all ported to Doom's pallete. You can PM for the wad. (Though I didn't set up the switches or anything else, they're merely using the Doom pallete now)

sgt dopey said:

Can someone convert the Powerslave textures into the Texture and Patch Tables for me

I'll see what I can do.

In boom you can use as many animated textures/flats as you want. Same for switches. I don't know how though.

Huh, I didn't know that. Nevermind then.

Idea for a TITLEPIC: Doomguy is flying through a portal (possibly colored purple with yellow electricity - I dunno why but that's how I always picture portals) with relics from some of the more popular games being featured passing by him like maybe some sort of Nazi symbol from Wolfenstein, the Tome of Power from Heretic, the Sigil from Strife, etc.

I decided to stick to Boom as I thought it would attract more mappers that way. There's quite a few people I know already who would either not sign up or quit the project if I switched to ZDoom. Boom is also more widely used for the most part.

This post also sums up a good portion of what I feel on this:

lupinx-Kassman said:

As far as the boom vs. zdoom argument goes, I think this is very possible as a boom project.

Scripting? Most of this can be accomplished through voodoo dolls on conveyer belts. You would be surprised with the impressive stuff you can pull off with this alone, it just doesn't seem apparent because it isn't used nearly as often as it could be.

Slopes? Has anyone seen dutch devil's riot control screenshots, or played darkening 2? They manage to portray a quake and quake 2 atmosphere respectively without the use of slopes or 3d floors. There are plenty more wads like this. Besides, with some trickery, these two elements can be faked too. People have been faking 3d floors in boom and even vanilla for quite a while, and if you are willing to allow boom-compatible ports to get around the seg limit and absolutely want your slopes, they can be faked with mini-sectors.

Besides, I feel that these limitations pose a creative challenge, and will make the project more interesting.

Also, I'll take the Strife map myself now, so it doesn't feel like I just did the easiest map and made everyone do all the hard ones.

TrueDude said:

I decided to stick to Boom as I thought it would attract more mappers that way. There's quite a few people I know already who would either not sign up or quit the project if I switched to ZDoom. Boom is also more widely used for the most part.

This post also sums up a good portion of what I feel on this:

Also, I'll take the Strife map myself now, so it doesn't feel like I just did the easiest map and made everyone do all the hard ones.

Ok, as I chose Q2 I'll study carefully the darkening 2.

L.