Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2002 ADO 10th year edition (RELEASED)

I am planning of updating 2002ADO. Wanna release a 10th anniversary Boom compatible edition next year which not overwrite the original. It will contain improved music, better texture alignment but some of the levels in 2002ADO just do not fit in. So I will consider some of the rejected submitted maps from Doom the way id did or new maps to this project a consideration for 2002ADO 10th year anniversary.

Maps in 2002ADO I wanna replace.

E3M5, E4M1, E4M2 and E4M9. Move E4M5 into E4M1.

I might also consider making new maps to replace these but ahh, ideas are so hard to come by these days and I worry my maps will be bad and symmetrical.

12 Jan 2012. The soundtrack for 2002ADO has been released on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL86FCD238843D8BC3&feature=view_all

FINAL RELEASE - http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/2002ad10.zip

I'd like to comment that E3M7 is also waaaay out of style for that episode; it's too good a map to trash though, and I believe the same for E3M5. I don't think E4M2 or E4M9 should be let go of either, though E4M2 belongs somewhere else. Also I'd say E4M8 is too out of style, but not something to let go of. Yet besides E4M1 (and that's mainly because the level is so small anyways) I don't think any of the maps warrant ditching entirely. Maybe just update the maps that are gone in the new version and release them as a separate wad.

Finally it would be nice if the E2 secret exit problems are fixed at last.(E2M4 has the exit to E2M9 but that throws you forward to E2M6, so you skip E2M5, which has the exit to E5M1 but E5M1 throws you right back to E2M5 - therefore you can play E2's normal secret level and never see E2M5 or the super secret level, or you can play the super secret level and E2M5 in a "loop" infinitely many time if you'd like, assuming you didn't go for E2M9. Clearly not set up correctly.)

pcorf said:

I am updating 2002ADO. Wanna release a 10th anniversary Boom compatible edition next year which not overwrite the original.

Add a Berserk Pack and redesign the teleporters in E3M3!!!

pcorf Romero said:
I am updating doom2.wad. Wanna release a 20th anniversary GZDoom compatible edition in 2014 which not overwrite the original. It will contain improved music, better texture alignment, ... the cyberdemon in MAP29 will have to be killed, etc. but some of the levels just do not fit in. So I will consider some of the rejected Sandy's, American's and my maps replace the most shitty ones.

Maps in doom2.wad I wanna replace.

MAP26 will replace MAP20 (does not fit the hell episode at all).
The most horrible maps: MAP08, MAP23, MAP24 and the now empty MAP26 slot will be replaced by better maps by Sandy, American and myself.

--------------------------------------

Paul, face it, 2002ado is a classic. May have it flaws, but people still play it and enjoy it. Is this worth your effort?

what?! you're crazy. maps 08, 24 and especially 20 are great. 23, the barrels level, was a bit gimmicky and annoying, but it was cool idea.
the only doom2 map i wouldn't miss is 21 and the wolfenstein levels

Firstly, split. Don't hijack threads.

Secondly, there have already been too many new versions of this wad, which have mostly failed to improve it, and just made it very messy for those looking to record demos on it. I think it would have got more demo-recording attention if it didn't tend to have cosmetic but demo-breaking changes every few years.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed playing 2002ADO using Boom or Doom+ instead of ZDoom. I'd like if ZDoomisms were taken out (I didn't find it very funny how the Cyberdemon in E3M3 would kill you with no chance, because a ZDoomism was placed there -- the impaled body blocking projectiles).

Again back to preferring Boom over ZDoom: the stock orange sky and the Classic-Doom (instead of MAPINFO) preserved music were very fitting in Episode 4. I really liked hearing that doomed melody of E3M3 in an equally doomed map that's E4M3 (that map is evil). It was better than that Heretic-inspired E2M9 music copied by MAPINFO into E4M3.

Finally, there should have been no BFG9000 in Episode 2. E2M9 violated both the BFG9000 and the bonus-boss "rule" -- it even has a spiderdemon. I say "rule" because Episode 1 had it in full effect (so much as becoming quite a forgettable experience, no cacos, no skulls, no barons, no biggie).

vdgg said:

Paul, face it, 2002ado is a classic. May have it flaws, but people still play it and enjoy it. Is this worth your effort?

I pretty much agree with this.

WHY not just to make an entirely new PWAD using the classic-postmodern stylism of 2002ADO itself? Redesigning is... not the best taste.

I'd join it anyways, even if there are no other cop-outs from the redesigning project.

Cell said:

WHY not just to make an entirely new PWAD using the classic-postmodern stylism of 2002ADO itself? Redesigning is... not the best taste.

I agree. Do something new. The community still goes nuts for this kind of stuff. Everybody likes original DOOM. Making a thread about updating 2002ADO just comes off as an attempt to attract attention to a 9-year-old WAD that is already highly regarded.

Sure. If it's a PWAD which has brand new levels in it, then the angel mentioned will have BOTH wings! Halfway work doesn't deserve full gracement, as known.

Who agrees that 2012ADO should be made?

Sure, I'd love a 2012ADO but that's a hell of a lot to ask of the guy (Lord knows how long it took him to complete the first one). Still I love Paul's maps so I'll be grateful for anything I get!

BTW I've been playing 2002ADO again. Anybody know how you get to the darn BFG in the first secret map, Lugano Base? I know by shooting the switch you open two secret corridors, at the end of one of which lies the BFG, but I have never been able to figure out how to get past that crushing ceiling. I think it has something to do with the Invulnerability Sphere that is visible through a window next to me but I can't reach that sucker either!

aldiboronti said:

Anybody know how you get to the darn BFG in the first secret map, Lugano Base?

If you have half an hour to spare, I'd strongly recommend you watching our fellow member NoobBait beating the whole first episode killing every monster and getting every secret in 32 minutes, 19 seconds. Note that he grabs the BFG the "unofficial" way. The "intended" way has to do with a door which opens 5 minutes after starting the level and then closes forever. So for a few seconds the invulnerability is available for pickup.

vdgg said:

If you have half an hour to spare, I'd strongly recommend you watching our fellow member NoobBait beating the whole first episode killing every monster and getting every secret in 32 minutes, 19 seconds. Note that he grabs the BFG the "unofficial" way. The "intended" way has to do with a door which opens 5 minutes after starting the level and then closes forever. So for a few seconds the invulnerability is available for pickup.

A timed door! No wonder I've always had trouble with this secret. Thanks for the link, there are a couple of other secrets that have eluded me and I'm intrigued as to NoobBait's unofficial way of grabbing the BFG.

aldiboronti said:

that's a hell of a lot to ask of the guy (Lord knows how long it took him to complete the first one).

He had help. Chris Hansen, Kristian Aro, Metabolist, etc.(I know I'm forgetting a few). But that's most likely how something like 2012ADO would happen; you'd need about 5 or 6 other people at least to help map for it.

Still will be named 2002ADO. But a new 10th anniversary edition. The original release will not be over-written. This time it will be more Zdoom compatible. A bit like an update to twzone.wad.

The new file name will be 2002AD10.WAD

Wanna replace some of the existing levels with new levels, maybe with some of the submitted maps from Doom the Way id did or I could make a new map.

All additional skies will be removed and only the Doom 1 skies will be used.

I might also remove that secret Wolfenstein map too. Not sure right now. But it now contains Wolfenstein SS soldiers with the help of Zdoom's abilites.

There are not going to be huge differences to the existing maps. Firstly I will do texture alignment and improvments to the realism and some basic changes.

Music is all done and made to sound much better in the Roland Sound Canvas sounds in Windows. ALl songs will be MIDI files, not MUS files.

Also working on a 2002ADO soundtrack for release on to Youtube as well. I'm not in any rush with this project but hope to get it released sometime next year.

Vordakk said:

He had help. Chris Hansen, Kristian Aro, Metabolist, etc.(I know I'm forgetting a few). But that's most likely how something like 2012ADO would happen; you'd need about 5 or 6 other people at least to help map for it.

Project took 2 years to complete. Started it in 2000, it was done in 2002.

MAPS
Pcorf
Kristian Nebula
Chris Hansen
Virgil
Rory Habich
Metalbolist
Anthony Soto

MUSIC
Pcorf

pcorf said:

Wanna replace some of the existing levels with new levels, maybe with some of the submitted maps from Doom the Way id did or I could make a new map.

In this case, I'd say that you would be better off making an all new wad (a new episode or something) and leaving the classic 2002ADO as it is. The last time I played 2002ADO, it was solely limit removing/vanilla compat aside from the afore mentioned relying on decoration blocking projectiles that many ports added; I played it in Doomsday IIRC. I don't know if that has changed since (i.e wheter that was the last version of the wad).

Vermil said:

In this case, I'd say that you would be better off making an all new wad (a new episode or something) and leaving the classic 2002ADO as it is. The last time I played 2002ADO, it was solely limit removing/vanilla compat aside from the afore mentioned relying on decoration blocking projectiles that many ports added; I played it in Doomsday IIRC. I don't know if that has changed since (i.e wheter that was the last version of the wad).

Nah. I struggle enough to make singleplayer levels these days. WOS was a big struggle. Many of the maps were symmetrical because of low ideas. We'll see what happens with 2002ADO 10th year edition. I am not in any rush.

vdgg said:

Just a few minor updates and maybe some new maps. Improved music. That is all.

If you decide to go ahead with this and keep map E3M6, don't forget to fix the missing upper texture on line 778.

Now I see. Why in the world do you want to get rid of E3M5? It's a very infernal and tough map of the episode (I'm currently stuck there) and by a point in the episode things have to get rough. So what if it stands out for having unique textures? They fit the theme.

printz said:

Now I see. Why in the world do you want to get rid of E3M5? It's a very infernal and tough map of the episode (I'm currently stuck there) and by a point in the episode things have to get rough. So what if it stands out for having unique textures? They fit the theme.

Agreed.

E3M5 is the most memorable and unique map in here. My only criticism with it is that the last room is way too nasty on UV. It's a classic 'rush to the exit' scenario but your path will be blocked by all the Barons most of the time so that the Cyberdemon has an easy task doing his job. 2 Barons less would work wonders I think.

As for maps to replace my first vote would be E4M6. E4 has great flow if you discount the stylistic differences of the first 2 maps and the jokemap character of E4M9 - and then this ulta-long, ultra-linear monster comes along and brings it all to a screeching halt - just to be picked up again by the last 2 maps.