Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

[WIP] Sinful Dimension - 3 maps done

This is a small set of hellish maps made for Zdoom/GZDoom/Skulltag. I currently plan making at least 6 maps for it (plus a Boss level).
These maps are made planned to be played with Brutal Doom, but you don't need it to play. (Just keep in mind that playing it without Brutal Doom will cause a completely different gameplay. For example, the begin of map 01 may be frustrating for some players without Brutal Doom, you will have to fight against lots of imps and zombiemen using the pistol before you find a Chaingun or Shotgun, when you were supposed to be using the Assault Rifle to quickly take them out.)

Attention: These levels uses 3D floors. It either requires OpenGL Mode, or the latest builds of Zdoom/ST that supports 3D floors in Software Mode.

Download latest version:
http://www.4shared.com/file/DxqJYK19/sindimv3.html
(3 Maps done)

I just played it and I think it's awesome, I also love the red sky. Keep up the good work! :)

Bug:In the area with boats,I couldn't get any of the contents of the boat with the chaingun.
Edit:also,the megasphere secret is pretty obscure and weird.If you're gonna make walls destroyable by rockets,at least mention it in the textfile somewhere,as it's a very unusual thing,even in ZDoom mods.Also,you don't really need the megasphere,as the exit is just ahead.
Aside from these quirks,I liked it very much.Really nice atmosphere and setting.Can't wait for more.

DeathevokatioN said:

Nice architecture, and a really cool sky. Where did you get this sky from?

hmm.. reminds me of quake3, but slower.

I really liked this map! Great atmosphere, great music, excellent environment...Very impressive stuff.

The only flaws that I noticed were pointed out by killer2:

killer2 said:

Bug:In the area with boats,I couldn't get any of the contents of the boat with the chaingun.
Edit:also,the megasphere secret is pretty obscure and weird.If you're gonna make walls destroyable by rockets,at least mention it in the textfile somewhere,as it's a very unusual thing,even in ZDoom mods.Also,you don't really need the megasphere,as the exit is just ahead.

Fix these two little things, and it's perfect. Do you plan on adding more maps to this "Swamp of Sorrows" WAD? It would be nice to see more levels like this one, because it's so well done. Obviously, that's your choice, but I'm just curious if you're going to add more levels.

I like this! Nice n' simple, really good looking, solid gameplay, nice n' subtle use of 3D floors. Keep making maps, my friend. :)

Thanks for all your feedback, guys.

killer2 said:

Aside from these quirks,I liked it very much.Really nice atmosphere and setting.Can't wait for more.

I haven't mentioned it anywhere because I just don't like giving away the solutions to find the stuff in my maps. Thanks for playing and reporting bugs.

DeathevokatioN said:

Nice architecture, and a really cool sky. Where did you get this sky from?

I think it's from Doom 64. I extracted from a wad two years ago, edited, and left it in my hard drive. But I have seen the base texture everywhere in many wads.

Mr. Chris said:

I might just do a video playthrough of this :)

I was thinking about doing it myself, but my low-end computer can't handle this map with Brutal Doom and Fraps (that for some reason, kills my framerate when I am recording BD) at the same time, but if you can do it, just wait until I fix the level bugs :)

gothic said:

looks really good

Xaser said:

I like this! Nice n' simple, really good looking, solid gameplay, nice n' subtle use of 3D floors. Keep making maps, my friend. :)

fullmetalvaran33 said:

I really liked this map! Great atmosphere, great music, excellent environment...Very impressive stuff.

The only flaws that I noticed were pointed out by killer2:

Fix these two little things, and it's perfect. Do you plan on adding more maps to this "Swamp of Sorrows" WAD? It would be nice to see more levels like this one, because it's so well done. Obviously, that's your choice, but I'm just curious if you're going to add more levels.

Yes, I am. I plan doing a small map pack of 6 Hellish levels (+ a Boss level) for it. Swamp of Sorrows will fit as MAP02. I am working on MAP01 right now, and I will post some screens when I have something interesting to show.

Now I have decided to turn this into a small map pack. The current map Swamp of Sorrows will become MAP02, the first map will take place in a Hellish city after crossing a portal, then going through the city docks, you will reach the swamp. I already posted screens in the Doom Picture thread, but I will repost here.

http://i55.tinypic.com/op32ps.png

http://i51.tinypic.com/vdpif.png

OH MAN!
This inspires me to map more!

But, I've always loved swampy/foresty maps. (Because, again, doom for what ever reason reminds me of a lot of the areas here down south... or vise versa)

I was about to ask for maps like this, but here you are with these already!

Great stuff!

Thanks for the comments =)
Update. I have edited the first post with the link for the latest version. It includes a new map, and some fixes with Swamp of Sorrows (now Map02). I fixed the items inside the boat that couldn't be collected, added a Berserk Pack, added a new secret area, and fixed the textures on doors.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Thanks for the comments =)
Update. I have edited the first post with the link for the latest version. It includes a new map, and some fixes with Swamp of Sorrows (now Map02). I fixed the items inside the boat that couldn't be collected, added a Berserk Pack, added a new secret area, and fixed the textures on doors.

I'll take a look at this new version sometime today. I'm quite excited :)

Ok, I played both maps with Brutal Doom 0.12, and they were AWESOME. I like how you added several berserk packs in map 2--that made a huge difference. I'm not too sure about all those chaingunners in coffins near the end, though. That's kind of a cruel trap. I found some misasligned textures in map 1, although, it's nothing major. If you want to see the screencaps I took of these, just let me know.

This WAD is definitely one great piece of work. I am anticipating the rest of the maps in this atmospheric game :). I actually want to nominate this for a Cacoward, even though it's not completed yet. It's just that incredible!

Great level and gameplay flow. This should turn into a megawad. And, be converted to Boom and/or Vanilla level format. :)

I've just played through the two maps that are currently available.

Pretty cool gameplay, I liked it. I ran out of ammo, but punching demons in the face for a while with berserk wasn't that bad. I don't really know how you've kept me entertained through the first map which I was playing for like 12 minutes until I've found the exit with only 90 monsters, but good job ;)

I liked your architecture style as it was clearly inspired by Quake and that game had quite a unique architecture because of engine limits I assume? Still your maps reminded me heavily not only because of Quake music but for example your very thick 3d floors you were using in some areas. Also I liked the fact that your maps were quite wide so the player felt like an ant crawling through a castle (at least in the first map).

What I didn't like was the placement of locked doors. They were just so randomly placed and it made no sense. Every time I found a key I had to look at my map because otherwise I would be completely lost as to where to use the key. Some directions or maybe "landmarks" or key places in the map were a better spot to have those doors I think.

Another cool thing were the bushes or whatever it were in the swamp areas. Haha they looked even better then some bushes of modern games like RAGE (they use only 1 flat sprite in rage for bushes lol) :P

The waterfalls on the other hand looked like crap. The white spray looked... awful. But that didn't really bother me.

Last but not least I wanted to say that the house was a very cool location to have a fight in. It strongly reminded me of the movie L.A. Confidential, if you know that movie you will exactly know the scene I'm talking about. If you haven't checked that movie out - give it a watch it's a pretty cool movie :)

Oh and the ending felt kinda abrupt, but you said you wanna make it into 6 maps so hopefully it will connect nicely :)

That's my 2 cents, overall a good gameplay experience with some oldschool Quake-ish architecture to get a nice nostalgia trip from ;)

BlueEagle said:

I've just played through the two maps that are currently available.

Pretty cool gameplay, I liked it. I ran out of ammo, but punching demons in the face for a while with berserk wasn't that bad. I don't really know how you've kept me entertained through the first map which I was playing for like 12 minutes until I've found the exit with only 90 monsters, but good job ;)

I liked your architecture style as it was clearly inspired by Quake and that game had quite a unique architecture because of engine limits I assume? Still your maps reminded me heavily not only because of Quake music but for example your very thick 3d floors you were using in some areas. Also I liked the fact that your maps were quite wide so the player felt like an ant crawling through a castle (at least in the first map).

What I didn't like was the placement of locked doors. They were just so randomly placed and it made no sense. Every time I found a key I had to look at my map because otherwise I would be completely lost as to where to use the key. Some directions or maybe "landmarks" or key places in the map were a better spot to have those doors I think.

Another cool thing were the bushes or whatever it were in the swamp areas. Haha they looked even better then some bushes of modern games like RAGE (they use only 1 flat sprite in rage for bushes lol) :P

The waterfalls on the other hand looked like crap. The white spray looked... awful. But that didn't really bother me.

Last but not least I wanted to say that the house was a very cool location to have a fight in. It strongly reminded me of the movie L.A. Confidential, if you know that movie you will exactly know the scene I'm talking about. If you haven't checked that movie out - give it a watch it's a pretty cool movie :)

Oh and the ending felt kinda abrupt, but you said you wanna make it into 6 maps so hopefully it will connect nicely :)

That's my 2 cents, overall a good gameplay experience with some oldschool Quake-ish architecture to get a nice nostalgia trip from ;)

Thanks for your comments, dude. I'm gonna try placing doors on more visible spots on next maps. About the waterfall, I know it's your taste, but I want to keep them as they are (for now, at least).

A new update with Map 03 included. I also fixed some unalignated textures in Map01.

Map03 Screenshots: