Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > NOVA: The Birth - undergoing bugfixing for v1.1 release, courtesy of Plums!
Pages (59): « First ... « 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:01. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Death Egg
Forum Regular

Is this project still taking maps? If so, I have this from an old map project of mine that could be spruced up and added in.

Old Post 03-11-13 05:00 #
Death Egg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Paul D

Ok, here's my final re-design of Teleportarium.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/telep3.wad

I fixed the bugs and changed the aesthetics on a segment of the level somewhat.

added tentative difficulty settings, but I'm not sure how well any of them are balanced.

Last edited by Paul D on 03-11-13 at 05:33

Old Post 03-11-13 05:27 #
Paul D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

Paul D said:
Ok, here's my final re-design of Teleportarium.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/telep3.wad

I fixed the bugs and changed the aesthetics on a segment of the level somewhat.

added tentative difficulty settings, but I'm not sure how well any of them are balanced.

Really nice map, I love the look and the layout of it. A couple of things - did you know you can get the yellow key without raising the slime, by running across the platforms? I guess it makes things harder because you miss out the SSG if you do that, just wondered if you planned it that way.

Also, in the SSG room, you can just run out of that room without fighting any of the monsters, which makes them a bit redundant - seems a shame because its quite a fun battle in there.

Good job on fixing it by the way.

Old Post 03-11-13 19:02 #
mouldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Paul D

The yellow key thing:

I kinda like it: originally I had removed it but I decided to put it back in because it's fun, but I can understand if it trips up the flow of the level too dramatically. If that's the case, I'll fix it.

regarding the supershotgun room fight: How can I make it less easy to skip, but without doing something frustrating like putting bars over the entrance door or something?

Maybe add a new room on the other side of the SSG room to put the key in, so that the player has to come back through it to get back to the other area?

Old Post 03-11-13 21:39 #
Paul D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

Yeah I think you should keep the yellow key as it is, cos skipping the SSG can be quite punishing later. Maybe you could also move most of the juicy ammo into those containers the mancs are in as well, so you have to deal with them if you want to grab all the goodies...

Or some other reward in there that involves dealing with the monsters if you want to get it, like pressing the switch also lowers a platform that lets you get on that little ledge that skirts the edges of the room, and theres a soul sphere on the opposite side...

Old Post 03-11-13 22:33 #
mouldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed01

Death Egg said:
Is this project still taking maps? If so, I have this from an old map project of mine that could be spruced up and added in.

The Project is welcoming any new maps!

Old Post 03-12-13 02:01 #
EvilNed01 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yakfak

I'm new and interested in contributing something, should it meet the project manager's standards, but don't full grasp the limit removing requirement. Can I just make a map in DEU which is too big for doom.exe to save safely and thereby be considered limit-removing?

Old Post 03-12-13 19:38 #
yakfak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

yakfak said:
I'm new and interested in contributing something, should it meet the project manager's standards, but don't full grasp the limit removing requirement. Can I just make a map in DEU which is too big for doom.exe to save safely and thereby be considered limit-removing?

If you stick to using vanilla linedef actions then all is fine. You can make the map as big and as detailed as you like :)

Old Post 03-12-13 20:10 #
cannonball is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Paul D

mouldy said:
Yeah I think you should keep the yellow key as it is, cos skipping the SSG can be quite punishing later. Maybe you could also move most of the juicy ammo into those containers the mancs are in as well, so you have to deal with them if you want to grab all the goodies...

Or some other reward in there that involves dealing with the monsters if you want to get it, like pressing the switch also lowers a platform that lets you get on that little ledge that skirts the edges of the room, and theres a soul sphere on the opposite side...

Ok, I changed the SSG room to be a bit more dynamic and meaningful. Added balconies, stairs, and an upper area of different height, with a good amount of resources. Spruced up intro area's appearance and reduced number of redundant sectors. Same download link works for newer version.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that this map is finished at this point. All that's left is perhaps some testing and minor edits.

Last edited by Paul D on 03-13-13 at 08:10

Old Post 03-13-13 03:35 #
mouldy

Paul D said:

Ok, I changed the SSG room to be a bit more dynamic and meaningful. Added balconies, stairs, and an upper area of different height, with a good amount of resources. Spruced up intro area's appearance and reduced number of redundant sectors. Same download link works for newer version.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that this map is finished at this point. All that's left is perhaps some testing and minor edits.

Excellent stuff. I like what you did to that SSG room.

Old Post 03-13-13 15:53 #
EvilNed01

So what maps are still WiP?

Old Post 03-17-13 16:59 #
EvilNed01 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dobu gabu maru

Presumably all the maps I listed on the last page, plus yakfak's map. I'm still working on one of mine, trying to hit the March 31st deadline, but progress is slowing down as I'm struggling with some of my map space.

Old Post 03-17-13 17:47 #
dobu gabu maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yakfak

Is this dark, or too dark? The basic idea is an abandoned industrial workplace.

Old Post 03-19-13 23:23 #
yakfak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed

I think it looks very good. Perfect light level for what you're trying to achieve.

Old Post 03-19-13 23:36 #
EvilNed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed01

Paul D,

sorry didn't see your PM until now.

Let me know if the message stands.

Old Post 03-20-13 19:56 #
Paul D

Yeah, it does.

Also, do you have two accounts or what is this?

on relevant note:

I'm thinking of making another midi: It will be a remix of the marching song/ Glenn Miller swing tune "American Patrol"

Old Post 03-20-13 22:25 #
EvilNed01

Yeah, they're both mine.

I intend to switch to the other one, but right now I'm lazy.

Old Post 03-20-13 22:35 #
Paul D

Here's another cool midi I found from the game "Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness". "Dr. Cranium's Laboratory"

again, not my work. I slightly abridged it and fixed some weird error that made it play wrong when looping. I have no idea why the file size is so large, I removed a bunch of cues and stuff for tracks that aren't involved in the song, instrument changes, etc. (The whole game's soundtrack came as one midi so I had to truncate it to this part) I'll try to figure out how to reduce file size.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39292814/qf4crlab.mid

It would fit really well for a semi ambient tech-hell or just really tough techbase level.

Old Post 03-21-13 08:00 #
mrthejoshmon

is there still time to make a submission?
if so: http://www.mediafire.com/?27g2llre2yzcxzu

Old Post 03-22-13 17:54 #
mrthejoshmon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

mrthejoshmon said:
is there still time to make a submission?
if so: http://www.mediafire.com/?27g2llre2yzcxzu

Thats a neat little map. Fairly easy but in a map01 kind of way. I think this project is still welcoming new maps.

Old Post 03-22-13 18:14 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

My 1st map ever created is near the end. It's in Ultimate Doom style, pinkies and spectres are the protagonists. I wonder if it can put in this wad(Maybe Map02 is suitable), however I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

The name of this map is "Mansions of Pinkies".

Screenshots:

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4968/72307199.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img707/5642/99460078.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/1063/94738192.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img33/2650/10132651.jpg

九泉底下十徘徊,奈何橋上恨正長
腸百折,愁千縷,萬般無奈把心傷 - 袁樂梅(「梅花三弄之」岳翎的角色)

我是中華民國的台灣人! I am Taiwanese of Republic of China(ROC)!!!

Old Post 03-22-13 19:17 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed01

I played through most of the maps like a week ago.

We have very many "easy" or starter maps at the moment, so anything you guys can do to up the difficulty just a little bit would be great! I could rework my MAP01 as well, make it a bit tougher. Add chaingun guys and stuff like that.

Old Post 03-22-13 19:23 #
mrthejoshmon

mouldy said:

Thats a neat little map. Fairly easy but in a map01 kind of way. I think this project is still welcoming new maps.

thanks, I was thinking it could be used as filler material for any absent maps or just as a quick intermission map.

Old Post 03-22-13 19:26 #
mrthejoshmon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

PRIMEVAL said:
Scrap map from me. Very hellish looking, slightly inspired by Minecraft caves / nether realm. Unfinished. Anyone can take over if they'd like. I may make a song for it, not sure yet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62445669/NovaMapII.wad

Just a reminder, there's still this scrap map to finish if anyone wants to take it. :)

Old Post 03-22-13 19:37 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mouldy

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

I'm assuming music/mapname will be sorted by whoever is putting it all together. I never tried converting from doom to doom 2 but you could try opening it in doombuilder in doom2 configuration. I guess you might need to load the doom2.wad as a resource and change any doom textures as well..

Old Post 03-22-13 19:43 #
mouldy

PRIMEVAL said:

Just a reminder, there's still this scrap map to finish if anyone wants to take it. :)

I might have a mess around with it. I don't think this collection has much in the way of hell going on.

Old Post 03-22-13 19:44 #
dobu gabu maru

Yeah there's like 2-3 hell maps so far. Difficulty is going to be all over the place but I'm not sure whether we should do anything about it, as I like the idea of preserving each individual author's mapping style/decisions. We'll see when we have everything compiled... the first "episode" is possibly going to be underwhelming/quick in the gameplay department.

Also, Daiyu, I think you can just copy & paste the linedefs and things from a D1 map to a D2 map (there may be a few textures errors however so you just have to look out for unique D1 textures). kildeth (or I) will take care of music, dehacked map names, and CWILV## stuff. It'd be neat if we could get some artists on board for a title, inter, and endboss pic. I might possibly give it a try since this is a project for newbies in the first place.

Old Post 03-22-13 20:15 #
dobu gabu maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Doom 1 and Doom 2 map formats are the same so just rename E1M1 to MAP01 and that's it. But yeah, you might need to change some textures that aren't present in Doom 2.

Old Post 03-22-13 20:22 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dachauncinator
Mini-Member

I'd be happy to work out a soundtrack, seeing as how I have tiny case of mappers block.

Old Post 03-22-13 21:52 #
dachauncinator is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
My 1st map ever created is near the end. It's in Ultimate Doom style, pinkies and spectres are the protagonists. I wonder if it can put in this wad(Maybe Map02 is suitable), however I don't know how to change the music and map name. I also don't know how to convert Ultimate Doom maps into Doom2.wad, like changing its complevel.

The name of this map is "Mansions of Pinkies".

One minor nitpick with the ceilings, you're using lights for the ceiling coupled with other lower lights (referring to screenshots 1 and 3). I'd say maybe a bit more ceiling variation (personally) but this is looking grand for a first map Daiyu. Certainly better than what I can do and I've been mapping for a fair few years.

Old Post 03-22-13 22:52 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote