Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

There is a nasty bug in MAP10: if you use secret teleporter to grab blue armor after you kill both archviles (but before you enter the exit room), you're unable to get inside yellow door again.

This was a great mapset with understandably varying quality. Real standouts for me are are maps 15, 16, 19, 20, 23, 30 and 31. I really enjoyed how maps 16 and 23 flowed into each other in really interesting ways.

Great job, everyone!

Thanks a ton for the elaborate review; I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that when I first began mapping, it was always my hope to see one of my efforts on your site.

Yeah thanks for the really in depth review, I'll be sure to have a much better map for the sequel, & no more sector toilets.

Speaking of a sequel it is currently June, I believe kildeth said he would be able to start something up around this time, I sure would like to redeem myself by actually making a good map.

woohoo! I was hoping this would get reviewed soon. and it's okay to use my former name.

Woo, I'm a superstar! :D

Thanks for the review from me also. I might be able to start another Nova sequel soon but I don't know how much time I'll have in the future to lead it as I have a LOT coming up. I'll see where I am in few weeks or so maybe and find out who's interested?

I very much want to see a NOVA sequel, as I consider this megawad one of my all-time favourites.

kildeth said:

Woo, I'm a superstar! :D

Unless you get banned from the forums, everyone who posts on Doomworld is a superstar!

Getsu Fune said:

woohoo! I was hoping this would get reviewed soon. and it's okay to use my former name.

whatever your handle is in the .txt is what you get, but I keep the author index up to date

also if you guys do anything I would love if you used some custom textures, stock stuff is starting to make my eyes bleed. But, more than anything,

~follow your dreams~

Not bad at all. It seems to look fine in ZDaemon 1.10. I will post here again when this gets hosted on FMM.

Except for map30, whoa, why is this unfriendly to multi-player?

kmxexii said:

also if you guys do anything I would love if you used some custom textures, stock stuff is starting to make my eyes bleed.

I was planning on allowing stock textures from Doom, TNT and Plutonia as well as Doom II for Nova's sequel just to spice things up a bit if it goes ahead.

I might make a thread for Nova II on June 21st or thereabouts if there is enough interest. I might be having a hectic six months coming up with finishing Uni but since we're only starting the project it shouldn't interrupt schedules too much.

I was thinking of also doing a slight update to Nova: The Birth just to fix the bugs that people have been catching in the /idgames version.

killbotvii - Yep, you'd be a perfect candidate; pretty much how I started off in the first Nova along with a few others. If you start something, feel free to share your progress in the inevitable Nova II discussion thread. If you get a map finished and its of good quality I can put it into the Nova II wad for you. :)

joe-ilya - I'd be interested to have you in Nova II just to see how you've progressed.

kildeth said:

joe-ilya - I'd be interested to have you in Nova II just to see how you've progressed.

Yeah! That's basically what I meant.

I might photobomb the sequel too, or you can find somebody else with years behind them and get them in on it in my place, if you'd prefer.

kildeth said:

I might make a thread for Nova II on June 21st or thereabouts if there is enough interest. I might be having a hectic six months coming up with finishing Uni but since we're only starting the project it shouldn't interrupt schedules too much.

I was thinking of also doing a slight update to Nova: The Birth just to fix the bugs that people have been catching in the /idgames version.

killbotvii - Yep, you'd be a perfect candidate; pretty much how I started off in the first Nova along with a few others. If you start something, feel free to share your progress in the inevitable Nova II discussion thread. If you get a map finished and its of good quality I can put it into the Nova II wad for you. :)

I know it is for Doom 2 but would you be willing to accept Doom 1 maps as well? I have been slaving on my first map for 3 years and I have made some really good progress.

Here is a thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1276453#post1276453

And here is a video showcasing some parts of the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68B2JFx8iUw

I am eager to hear your response!

I have the tools to make it and the basic idea for my first level sketched out, I just need a few good guides to get me comfortable with them. anyone know any good tutorials?

@DooM_RO - Watched the video, excellent start! The map only uses Doom I stock textures yeah? Cause if it does, I (or you) can simply port it to Doom II with Doom I custom textures provided and it'll be fit for inclusion, as I'm allowing Doom I textures to be used in Nova II. Once its ported to Doom II, you can add Doom II monsters if you like, as well as Doom II textures (and also TNT/Plutonia textures as I'm allowing those as well).

Watch your use of ceiling flats though. Some of them were getting way out of alignment and had the effect of red lights getting cut off on an edge which looks bad visually. You have to align textures like that to the mapping grid unfortunately cause you can't realign flats. :(

@killbotvii - Sorry, I don't know any. :( I kinda just made my maps myself and looked for advice from others to get better. We could always do that this time around once the Nova II project properly commences.

@kildeth

AWESOME!I am really excited to be part of NOVA2! My map has a home!YAY :D!

Yes, the map uses only stock Doom 1 stuff...and I would like to keep it that way even though I was sorely missing some Doom 2 textures.

I am very aware of the lights texture. The room was tilted by 45 degrees which is the reason why it is misaligned.

Do you want me to upload more? I have another very cool area.

Upload all you want! NOVA II: A New Dawn hasn't even officially commenced yet so there's plenty of room for maps and ideas.

Here is the Hell part of the map. Keep in mind that it is slightly unfinished. Dunno why it is in 360p

If my map is going to be part of this, do you think it could be in the latter half of the WAD because it is quite big? It starts in a base being taken over by Hell and then gets into hell itself. It could even be the map before the hell levels.

I haven't really followed NOVA's development but will the progression of the maps be consistent? My map starts in an underground tram station part of the map so what do you think about the previous map ending with a tram station?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWCD2pkZtDM&feature=youtu.be

Excited and hopeful to see the results of a new NOVA project kildeth, hope you have the perseverance in you to spearhead another one, as any project on these forums takes longer than expected :P

I too think it would be neat if we had a handful of old authors from NOVA I pop up to show the progress they've made, although I think it'd be best to get all the newbies to contribute first.

@DooM_RO - Not sure where the map will go or what progression we'll have as the new project has barely begun. We'll see when we get there, we didn't really have a plan last time and things turned out alright.

@dobu gabu maru - I will hopefully have the perseverance, I've got a lot of stuff coming up but seeing there's demand for a NOVA sequel, I'll let the project begin and handle it as best as I can. If there's plenty of interest and support from everyone else I should do alright with it, or at least be able to handle things better than last time if I do struggle. I myself may only donate one map to the project, but I'm happy for a whole mix of new, old and experienced mappers to participate in the sequel. Things look promising so far, moreso than the start of the first NOVA which was quite frankly, a mess for the first year of development until most of the team stepped in. We might be able to pull off Nova II within 2 years for a 2016 release date.

@Kildeth

Ok, fair enough, there's no hurry, especially since my map is evolving at a snail's pace.

What do you think of the second video?

I'm definitely in for NOVA 2, if I'm allowed to participate. I've already started working on a Map 01 candidate that I am calling "Reveille". It takes place at a UAC barracks that DoomGuy is stationed at when the demons mount a surprise attack. I'll try to keep working on it so that it might be ready shortly after thread launch.

@DooM_RO - I think the second video showed potential like the first one. Hard to make any further comments until I actually play the map itself though.

@Arjak - Everyone is allowed to participate; I just want new mappers to feel more comfortable joining in than they might with a more demanding megawad project. I actually am particularly interested in having Nova I mappers come back just to see progress and continue on from where we left off.