Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

No further commentary needed in the title; the wad has been officially released. Get it here:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/nova.zip

ORIGINAL BLURB

Welcome to the project thread for NOVA: The Birth! Here we are working on creating a 32 map megawad consisting of efforts by those who are new to the Doom mapping experience (including myself).

The restrictions are as follows:
- All maps must be in limit removing format (-complevel 2 if that definition means anything to you)
- All maps are to be made entirely from stock Doom II textures.

Anything else, whether it be theme, size, difficulty is entirely up to you in terms of map creation. Any level that is produced competently and with the restrictions above in mind is eligible for inclusion within the project.

If you wish to contribute maps to NOVA, feel free to introduce yourself and begin posting your in-progress/complete WADs, your screenshots, your queries and your comments in this thread. There is no need to sign up for this project, everyone is free to contribute as they wish without any permission needing to be granted by anyone first.

If you wish to donate or suggest good MIDI or MUS files for this project, you are free to do so but keep in mind that we are unlikely to use all that are given to us as we have received a lot already. They are nonetheless appreciated though.

If you wish to help us out, please download the WAD and give it a play. We would appreciate any feedback in terms of what we could improve on and what we've done right.

Kind regards,

kildeth, Team NOVA project leader.

I had a similar idea to this back when I first joined Doomworld, but never followed through for fear of a [newproject] attack. While I can't commit to any major projects in the foreseeable future, I'd probably be able to playtest the maps and provide some advice in that fashion. Of course, that's assuming this thing goes ahead.

I used to love the idea of this sort of megawad a few years ago. I still do as a matter of fact, but I'd say I'm definitely too experienced in mapping to be a newbie by now.

The real charm with a newbie megawad is that the ideas are usually fresh and more explorative than the relatively "safe" gameplay a lot of more experienced mappers will go for.

This seems interesting. I have a few unreleased and unfinished maps I can probably donate here, or even start some new ones if I have the time.

@Phobus - You can still donate some maps if you wish to, I'm not stopping anyone and they could still be valuable for the newer mappers to learn from.

@PRIMEVAL - If you could, that would be great.

At the moment I'm working on 'Hazard Facility'. If anyone wants to use either 'Blackout' or '1994' as a base for one of their own maps within this project all you have to do is ask. All three levels are included in the zip file linked on the first post of this thread.

This sounds like a great idea!

I guess I could submit this one early never released map that I made.

DeathevokatioN said:

Sounds like a great idea, Snakes should be all over this thre...... oh wait.

One day, I'll find out what this posts means... One day.

@Processingcontrol - That would be much appreciated. Thanks for your interest.

Still working on Hazard Facility and have made some great progress. The level's architecture is nearly done and I only have one more area to complete before it is ready for playtesting. It is short but I hope it'll be fun. I'd post some screens but I'm gonna wait until I've completed it before I ruin any surprises.

@Alwaysdoomed - At this stage I'll accept pretty much anything. If a map is really unfinished/bugged up/just a room we can still work from it in order to make it a proper completed work.

And oh look, a screenie!

Phobus said:

I used to love the idea of this sort of megawad a few years ago. I still do as a matter of fact, but I'd say I'm definitely too experienced in mapping to be a newbie by now.

The real charm with a newbie megawad is that the ideas are usually fresh and more explorative than the relatively "safe" gameplay a lot of more experienced mappers will go for.

OFF: One millionth post!

Put me down for a map. It's going to simply be called Hush. It will certainly be an original idea. What sort of gameplay are we looking at, can we do ZDoom in Hexen format and include new monsters etc?

MajorRawne said:

can we do ZDoom in Hexen format and include new monsters etc?

I hope not.

Newbie Megawad Project + Zdoom custom monsters does not really compute for me. Although ofcourse that's only my opinion...

btw; kildeth that shot looks quite cool although it is in huge need of light variation. If you want to get some tips on how to get lighting to look great, I'd recommend playing Alien Vendetta.

Ok, standard monsters then, I admit it was a bit of a push for new mappers to successfully add custom stuff. However I am currently doing it in ZDoom Hexen cos I wanted some cool features, just traps, changes to the lighting, that kind of thing.

By the way, would anyone have any objection to a map where 100% kills are impossible, as it would totally kill the gameplay if the player got enough ammo to do all the bad guys.

I would absolutely be against such a map. I'd also prefer a project in limit-removing/boom format for the sake of helping newbies understand the basic mechanics of the Doom engine before venturing off into Zdoom land.

Just my opinion, though. Kildeth is the head of this project, so it's up to him.

What Doom 2 maps I have use custom textures, so I'd like to know if that's allowed or should I retexture them to stock?

My map can be amended to boom compatible if necessary, I've just got more experience with ZDoom->Hexen than Boom, and for a newbie it's fun (if very frustrating) to be able to customise every aspect of how fast lifts raise, doors open etc.

EDIT: I'm working in a way to get 100% kills which I think will give the map a spectacularly brutal finish.

I would strongly prefer all maps in this project to be Boom compatible (EDIT: limit-removing actually, -complevel 2) and only using stock Doom II textures. It will make it easier for first timers to get used to the essentials without getting into more advanced stuff.

Hazard Facility is nearly finished now. May even be ready for a playtest release later today. More light variation is featured within the level than appears in the screenie, it's just that the outside area is quite bright cause that's where all the light is shining. Might add some shadows though if they look alright.

A few early alphas of Hush, it's not ready for playtesting at all. This area is going to become a series of small linked graveyards with a large cityscape in the distance. This is when you get outside; the starting area is a dark and horrendously dangerous base.

Once it's ready for alpha playtesting I'll be expecting people to find every last niggly thing it's humanly possible to complain about :)

Don't be discouraged by other's mapping skills. This project is partly here to teach you how to become better at mapping so it would be best to be honest about your level of mapping skill/what you're having difficulty with so everyone else can examine it and give you pointers. If you're too shy to show your maps for fear of them being too shoddy or inferior it kind of defeats the point of this project as it is aimed at new mappers who are still learning the ropes.

Go ahead and list me as a tester in the first post. I'll be pretty booked up until probably sometime next week (CC4 testing) and am too busy to map for this in the foreseeable future (UR + one or two other projects i've agreed to contribute to), but I always like to give advice and encourage new mappers.

You're just in time Snakes cause I've got a map for you to test. Hazard Facility is essentially finished now and is ready for playtesting.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2INZT723

Still need to do some touch ups here and there but tell me what you think. The map includes difficulty and deathmatch settings so be sure to test those out too. Everyone else is free to try the map out and offer critique as well.

kildeth said:

I would strongly prefer all maps in this project to be Boom compatible and only using stock Doom II textures. It will make it easier for first timers to get used to the essentials without getting into more advanced stuff.

Guess I'll have to convert them over as they are just Doom 2 compatible and not Boom. Though, I could make a new map from scratch, which I may do.

Wait, there's a difference between Doom 2 compatible and Boom compatible? I thought Boom compatible was just limit-removing and in that Doom 2 compatible would automatically = Boom compatible.

kildeth said:

Wait, there's a difference between Doom 2 compatible and Boom compatible? I thought Boom compatible was just limit-removing

No. Boom compatible = limit removing + new mapping features.

kildeth said:

and in that Doom 2 compatible would automatically = Boom compatible.

Not equal, but compatible, as Boom changes gameplay somewhat. (Most notably, alive monsters can be pushed down from ledges.)