Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Final update of Wonderful Doom and a New Project

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:16. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wraith777
Green Marine

Now, since I`ve returned I`d like to post a final version of Wonderful DooM - v.1.3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?va7m70yayll5ayv

And as a bonus for those who`s interested in recreation of historical chronology there are ALPHA and BETA versions (very old) of WD1.wad:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yssd6m2wtbg3hl3

Alpha version (WD04.wad) contains levels e1m1-e2m3. Many of them are greatly distinguishable from those of v.1.0

Beta version has 3 episodes. Levels look much more like in v.1.0. but still have differences in many details.

Also, I want to make an announcement:
I`m about to start working on a ''wad of my life''. Main criteria and details about this 'project':
* game - DooM 1 (Ultimate)
* engine - vanilla
* architecture - complex basic (classic)
* difficulty - challenging (no hash). Not so many monsters but also not so many ammo/items..
* setting - various (human base; ancient/alien city; hell/wasteland)
* awaited impresions - 'little scary', 'strange', 'mamorable'
* nonlinear levels
* some new textures/flats/music/monsters
* new story(parallel to events in D1),
* new titlepic/intermissions/endmissions, texts.

so I ask a community: IS someone still interested in CLASSIC wad
- without tones of secondary architectural details but with advanced basic geometry,
- without over9000 monters/ammo but with their ratio forcing you to shoot sharper and search for secrets,
- with levels clearly distinguishable one from another,
- with D1 atmosphere (surreal setting/decorations/architecture - just like in DooM)?

This time (in difference from WD) it will be something new (but still, classic in it`s nature), I promise:).

A new thread about 'project' will be started as soon as I`ll get something to show..

Last edited by Wraith777 on 11-27-11 at 18:44

Old Post 11-22-11 20:13 #
Wraith777 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Average

If your next project is half as good as WD then colour me excited! I can never have enough of the old style.

Old Post 11-22-11 20:33 #
Average is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

IMHO it's not good to update 3 years old wad, especially when the changes are very minor. Please think about speedrunners! The confusion with different versions is always so annoying!

А "вад всей жизни" звучит очень многообещающе! Давай, жги! =)

Old Post 11-22-11 20:40 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Wraith777
Green Marine

Memfis said:
IMHO it's not good to update 3 years old wad, especially when the changes are very minor. Please think about speedrunners! The confusion with different versions is always so annoying!
Yea, I know, but I`ve discovered and fixed a fatal mistake at e4m2 and automaticly edited some other levels too.. Doesn`t demo of certain level of wad work if only other levels in it where updated?

Buy the way, a new 'project' will be aimed at speed runners to! When there are 3 ways to complete the level it`s up to THEM to discover which way is fastest :).

Old Post 11-22-11 21:27 #
Wraith777 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
phobosdeimos1

Nice sir, keep mapping!

Old Post 11-22-11 21:30 #
phobosdeimos1 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Wraith777
Green Marine

FX, as always done something wrong..

THIS is final (absolutely) version of WD1 -
http://www.mediafire.com/?va7m70yayll5ayv

Sorry for my clumsiness :)..

Last edited by Wraith777 on 11-27-11 at 18:39

Old Post 11-23-11 07:58 #
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Downloading . . .

Wraith said:
so I ask a community: IS someone still interested in CLASSIC wad
- without tones of secondary architectural details but with advanced basic geometry,
- without over9000 monters/ammo but with their ratio forcing you to shoot sharper and search for secrets,
- with levels clearly distinguishable one from another,
- with D1 atmosphere (surreal setting/decorations/architecture - just like in DooM)?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I'll be following the project with interest.

Old Post 11-23-11 11:49 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11
Forum Staple

Classic vanilla style is the essence of Doom. :)

Old Post 11-23-11 12:16 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
aldiboronti

Is someone still interested? I'd lay good odds that huge numbers of doomers are interested in such a wad, especially when they know it's coming from the guy who gave us Wonderful Doom! I personally can't wait!

Old Post 11-23-11 20:19 #
aldiboronti is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Wraith777
Green Marine

Well then.. Can someone upload WD1 v.1.3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?va7m70yayll5ayv) to Idgames?

Old Post 11-27-11 20:34 #
Coldfusio

Wraith said:
Well then.. Can someone upload WD1 v.1.3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?va7m70yayll5ayv) to Idgames?

Done.
And here it is:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/in...rder=asc&page=1

Last edited by Coldfusio on 12-10-11 at 12:55

Old Post 11-27-11 23:50 #
Coldfusio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Steve1664
Green Marine

Halfway through Episode 1, and it's very well done so far. Everything is familiar, yet just different enough to throw me for a loop, especially the extra-mazey E1M4. If the quality continues through the rest of the WAD, then I'll be looking forward to your next project!

Old Post 12-01-11 17:31 #
Steve1664 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NightFright

I didnt realize there was an update to this wad until now. However, it's great to still see support for it years after its release! Wonderful Doom is one of my most favorite wads and a great way to play UDoom again after having grown tired of playing the original lvls over and over again.

Looking forward to your next project, I am sure it will be even more impressive than this one! I LOVE retro style wads, especially those done in ep.1 style which remains the most popular one. You don't have to ask if we want it, just bring it! :)

Old Post 01-26-12 11:12 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Wonderful Doom was cool. You (Wraith) should consider contributing to the next installment of Doom the Way id Did. :P

As for the question regarding classic maps: Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Keep doing it. We need more of this stuff. ;)

[EDIT] Huh. Just noticed that I gave the exact same reaction as GreyGhost without meaning to. Could he be me from the future? o_O

Old Post 01-26-12 18:44 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

I'd like to echo the sentiment for classic maps. But I'd also like to criticize this latest version of wonderful doom for being too easy (at least episode 1 so far is a snooze fest). I like some of the changes-e1m1 and e1m2 are nice. E1M3 has lower texture glitches on the slime pit where you get the RL. I never liked the soul sphere on the slime in e1m3 or the hurting water (is this episode 3 or 1?). Giving up on episode 1 for now do to lack of challenge and there still being glitches. Will try episode 4 now... maybe there will be some challenge there.

Old Post 02-09-12 17:44 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Xaser said:
Huh. Just noticed that I gave the exact same reaction as GreyGhost without meaning to. Could he be me from the future? o_O
Great minds think alike but not necessarily in synchronism. ;-)

Old Post 02-10-12 10:24 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote