Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

Glad to see this becoming a reality. I never played PSX Final Doom much, but I liked its HUD and SSG graphics.

Say, although there has been PSX themed TCs, would the almost 1:1 replication of PSX Doom TC be a gateway (no pun intended) for maps designed for use with the PSX TC resources e.g. required so the map will look and work properly ala mapping for D64 EX? Would breathe new life into yet another one of my favorite incarnations of Doom.

As of since, I am only pseudo-PSX Doom theming any normal D1/2 mapset I play by simply using the sounds/music and Sigvatr's palette (since it makes the game really dark and gloomy).

@Cyanosis: I don't see why not. Technically, there's nothing preventing you from doing that.

Also, I've finished MAP02 and I've come a cross a couple of issues:
- There are weapons in MAP01 before there should be (DM only, perhaps?) - the plasma gun by the water in the central courtyard and the rocket launcher by the stairs to the west of the starting room.
- Due to the way PSX Doom handles Spectres, there aren't any. All of the demons in MAP01 in the outdoor area (with the erroneous plasma gun) and the blue key room should be Spectres, the Demon released with the blue armour and the one in the circular area with the red key in MAP02 should be Spectres, and the one in the room with the chainsaw should be a Nightmare Spectre.

@fender: Nice!

EDIT: Here is the modified TITLEMAP. It resets the title screen and copyright screen back to regular PSX Doom, but adds the updated Williams credits and Final Doom credits at the end of the loop.

D_GARG said:

btw, I'm working on a PSX style project myself, I'd love to have the PSX hud, but I dunno how to make things work out

is there and easy way to fix this?

When I upload my newest changes to the TC, I'll PM you a link too. Grab the bigfont from it, the status bar graphics (including faces, and the selection icon), and the SBARINFO lump and it should work fine in another project. If you want to use the one from the current TC, you'll need the ACS library and a bunch of blank graphics to clear Doom's existing status bar resources.

Cyanosis said:

Say, although there has been PSX themed TCs, would the almost 1:1 replication of PSX Doom TC be a gateway (no pun intended) for maps designed for use with the PSX TC resources e.g. required so the map will look and work properly ala mapping for D64 EX?

I was working on an add-on episode for the PSX TC; I had planned on releasing it alongside my updates, but then decided to just make it for vanilla instead. I still kind of want to do a separate PSX-ized copy of it. Realistically I'd rather be mapping for a Doom64EX-like PSX port than a GZDoom TC, though. I just don't have the programming experience to make that happen myself.

scalliano said:

PSX Final Doom only has 10 extra music tracks, the rest are recycled from PSX Doom, so it shouldn't be that much bigger.

I am also in favour of combining the mod, keeping the original title screen, but perhaps modifying it to include the Final Doom part of the credit roll. Just a thought.

What's wrong with keeping them separate?

buttspit said:

What's wrong with keeping them separate?

I think it would make it more convenient, but there's no problem having them separate either.

Honestly I think putting the Final Doom-exclusive stuff into its own pk3 and having it automatically load the normal TC would be the most convenient, just to avoid the HUD and SSG sprite conflict at least. I'm not opposed to merging it all into one project (back when I was considering looking into Final that was my original plan too), but if you're going off of convenience, keeping Final separate but dependent is probably the best bet.

I just fired off PMs with the updated copy of my tweaks.

Master Levels as an add-on to the original TC
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q43gh01rdud6376
replace the original PSXDoom.CFG and PSXDoom.BAT

Final doom Music
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1excng5z8ufx4r2

Includes:

Fenderc01's final doom textures
scalliano's modified TITLEMAP and weapon and spectre fixes to map01&2 (now map61&62)
episode End text
and modified D2END that allows you to continue on to map61 after the doom 2 end text has been displayed.

Ill get the rest of the maps done asap.

Scottgray,

Been play testing for an hour, you've done a really great job, I would say this is about 95% perfect.

Minor faults I have found so far:

-No echo when you pick up items like on the PSX
-When collecting the berserk pack on Map 62 Virgil, I had a lot of missing sprites. I've saved screen captures if that's any help at all
-Some of the darker parts of levels are too bright.

Could you also confirm should you be using the doom2.wad or the plutonia.wad?

I would be more then happy if the rest of the levels were uploaded in the same manor and no further faults were fixed, it's perfectly playable in it's current form.

I would agree with Dragonsbrethren though, I think to stay true to PSX I would have liked to have kept the Final Doom TC separate, and kept the Final Doom intro.

I also think the Sony America screen should be removed from this and the regular Doom PSX TC to keep them universal for all non US players, again just my personal preference.

francis247uk said:

I would agree with Dragonsbrethren though, I think to stay true to PSX I would have liked to have kept the Final Doom TC separate, and kept the Final Doom intro.

On the other hand, I like the idea that they're merged as a single whole. The Final Doom intro can be kept, by the way. It's a TITLEMAP, so it's not especially complicated to glue both intro loops together and have them cycle.

(Given that it's ZDoom it'd even be possible to have the statusbar change between levels with some SBARINFO trickery.)

Cyanosis said:

Glad to see this becoming a reality. I never played PSX Final Doom much, but I liked its HUD and SSG graphics.

Say, although there has been PSX themed TCs, would the almost 1:1 replication of PSX Doom TC be a gateway (no pun intended) for maps designed for use with the PSX TC resources e.g. required so the map will look and work properly ala mapping for D64 EX? Would breathe new life into yet another one of my favorite incarnations of Doom.

As of since, I am only pseudo-PSX Doom theming any normal D1/2 mapset I play by simply using the sounds/music and Sigvatr's palette (since it makes the game really dark and gloomy).

I'd really like a D64 EX equivalent to PSX Doom to be honest. But this TC is a great step in this direction IMHO.

francis247uk said:

Could you also confirm should you be using the doom2.wad or the plutonia.wad?

Neither TC use any original Doom2/TNT/Plutonia textures, so they should work with any of the three.

As for the echo effects, that's not hard to add in. Something to worry about when all the maps are up and running.

This is awesome the way you guys are getting into this, every bit of info helps make it better and I know you all are spending your own free time to make this happen, that is special and it goes to show how much DOOM still has a grip even after 20 years.
(Ether that or we are obsessed)

There is a few of you seem to like the idea of having a separate Final Doom conversion. I don't see why we can't have both an add-on and a stand alone so I'll make shower there's a download for that at some point with the final doom intro and stuff.

Francis247, I use the doom2.wad but as Scalliano said it doesn't mater if its tnt or plutoinia.
As for the brightness, am not changing any brightness values they are the same values used in the PSX, same with the color lighting, however I also noticed it didn't look exactly like the PSX, probably due to difference in how the renderer/hardware handles brightness/gamma, as Dragonsbrethren mentioned earlier. I found if you run it at a low resolution, say 640x480 the colors and brightness look closer to the PSX, try messing about with the display options.

I think I put the wrong Map 62 into that download, an early one with few problems, PM me the pics If you could, I fancy a look at them.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4bpiaz9am4ybwvu
Try this one, It has the spectres and nightmare spectres courtesy of Scalliano. Drop it in the map folder in the PSXFINAL.pk3

The downloads seem to be down. Could you please re-upload them?

Version 2.135

You need a Doom2 Iwad and GZDoom to play (Tested with windows version of GZDoom 2.4.0 32bit and 64bit).

doom_front.jpg final_doom-front180.jpg.b41372f348cfc4f5b31e8389dc395708.jpg
PlayStation Doom TC (PSXDOOMTC_V235.zip) (36MB)Unzip into your GZdoom directory and run with PSXDOOMTC.EXE.
GAME MUSIC (PSXTCMUS.PK3) (77MB) drop into your GZdoom directory (do not Unzip).

If you are not using windows, Unzip (THESE FILES) into your GZdoom directory and load PSXLOAD.PK3 first not PSXDOOM.PK3

If the PSXDOOMTC.EXE will not start you need to install the following:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (41 MB)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable (4.8 MB) (even if you are running x64 Windows)

Edited by ScottGray

Is there a way ti se it up to run without having to put it in my gzdoom folder? I keep my sourceporsts and wads/iwads all separate.

Is there a specific reason it needs to be run from a batch file instead of just being loaded like a normal wad?

Nope, just load psxdoom.pk3. It has a gameinfo lump that'll set the iwad to Doom 2 and automatically load the music pk3 if it's in the same directory.

The batch file is mostly there to make a copy of your config with some settings changed to better match the PSX version. All of the compatibility settings (barring cosmetic stuff) should be set properly in mapinfo, so you don't even need it for those.

Kind of bug but level exit (teleport to level 8) on map 7 will always lead to map 7 instead to next map 8.

Is the psxdoom music pack linked to bigger than the original because the psxfinaldoom music tracks were added? Because if so I already have the original psxdoom music pack and would prefer to download the psxfinaldoom tracks seperately rather than a bigger file with both the original and final doom tracks and add them into original psxdoom music pack I already have because my lousy internet would take too long to download the whole music pack.

Dragonsbrethren said:

That's strange, I just checked the mapinfo and it's set up correctly:

map MAP07 lookup "HUSTR_7"
{
	music = "PSXMUS07"
	next = "MAP08"
}

It happened to me in PSX Final Doom standalone version, not in regular PSX Doom what is rather obvious by title of this topic but it's fixed now. ;-)

ScottGray said:

Avoozl, here is the final doom tracks only, compressed from 50Mb of 128kps mp3 to 27Mb of 64kbs Vorbis OGG format, The quality is still very good, Vorbis is excellent at low bit rates. Just add them to the original psxtcdoom music pack.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zbj7yvji4ii86rj

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

Great TC, looks really authentic.
Will there be Final Doom STBAR? It looks different from PSXDOOM one (other base texture, less contrast, darker and more bluish)

Why there are semi-transperent pixels in the fldcred1? In the original psx doom, there are only opaque and transperent places (from which the flame can be seen) ("1 bit alpha")

Also, the music for the master levels you have is overused and cut (I've seen it on doomdepot long ago, and compared it to the original. You may compare the tracks too to make sure I'm not lying. Even track durations are different!).
I may record the tracks directly from the emu and post them here.
(i let the track play several times, to include precise pause between looping)

Here are the tracks:
I loaded PSX Final Doom in the emu, then recorded sound (mus vol 100; snd vol 0) using emu's sound plugin. I let the tracks play several times to precisely find when they loop.
For tracks with "crossfaded" looping I applied slight "fade-out" effect in the very end.
Also I included pauses (in the end of each song,
though I'm not sure about lengths of the pauses in tracks for LEVEL @: VIRGIL and LEVEL 8: MINOS because these tracks seem to have been played once(without looping)on these maps. I don't know is it really long pause, but I let it continue for about 5 minutes - tracks didn't play again. I managed to include pauses there, and they are of the same duration as of the LEVEL1: ATTACK's one.
After having tracks cutted, I maximized peak values for each track, so they are loud enough.
Having been directly converted from lossless WAV to 64k vbr OGG, tracks together still have small size of about 20 megs, but I can hear significant difference in quality, comparing to doomdepot tracks
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?m5d4s0554aelw75