Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

[/idgames link] -- [official site] -- [dev thread]

[Version 1.1a released on 2-24-2012 -- update if you haven't yet!]

For those who haven't heard of it, Doom The Way id Did (or DTWiD for short) is a 3-episode tribute to our beloved DOOM.WAD, designed not as a homage-spree but as an answer to the question "What would it look like if id had decided to create a 10th map for each episode?" The end result is a full set of maps that's meant to look, feel, and play like they came from the hands of Romero, Petersen, and Hall, and we hope that they send a chill of nostalgia down your spine.

Some Official DTWiD Promotional Material:

What are you waiting for? Download it!

Also see the official DTWID site and development thread for more behind-the-scenes info, if you're brave enough to read it all!

Huuuge thanks to Hellbent for starting it, a few key guys (Ellmo, Essel, St. Alfonzo, and Marnetmar) for being there throughout the entire development process, Kracov for the amazing artwork (check out the intermission screens!), and to all our talented mappers for making a smashing (in my somewhat-biased opinion) set of maps. It's a loong list of credits... that's a good thing. :)

It's done, it's finally done!

Huge thanks to everyone who contributed, everyone's names, including those whos maps did not make it in, are in the text file.

AWESOMESAUCE!

Downloading now! Great job on it from the screens :D

Happy Birthday Doom

Thanks Team. I lit the flame and you all carried the torch. Wish I could have been more involved in the last few months, but very glad that you all carried the vision through to the end!

AWESOME!!! =D

It was great contributing to this, even if I only made one small map.

Not really a big deal and there are almost surely some similar examples in the iwad maps, but I know an easy and rather id-like way it could be fixed... get rid of the 16-or-so wide extra linedef to the left of the switch. ;P

now that's great to see it released as planned right on doom's birthday. congratulations.

Glad to see that this project is finally finished, kudos to the project team for a job well done. :)

Was great taking part in this project, making classic Doom themed maps was a nice challenge. Having my name omitted from almost all the credits is not nice though... :(

Those demos are far too obviously being played badly! You can see the player consciously avoiding health and weapon pickups and making a point of running past safe zones.

Otherwise a fantastic job team! I'm glad we got it all out at last and on time, too! Good work everybody involved.

I recorded a FDA for E2. I didn't care about secrets or kills. I just played E2 casually.

complevel 3

I had fun, but the whole episode was REALLY dark. It almost got annoying at times. Good work with the project fellows. I remember starting a map for this project when it was just starting, but I dropped it because I didn't think it was fun mapping with the rules you made up in mind. I still feel that these maps are waaaay more advanced and detailed than anything Petersen could come up with, which is of course a good thing. You took the highlights from Petersen's design and polished it. Good job

Mr. Freeze said:

No music of mine? What the hell is going on?

I'd like to know the same thing.

The lack of new music doesn't bother me though, since it doesn't seem to affect gameplay IMHO.

Mr. Freeze said:

No music of mine? What the hell is going on?

The problem is - you let us know you were working on a new music score a bit late, you also never spoke of it before, so it took us by surprise. After you were finished, you didn't send the music to anyone on the team, so Xaser himself had to bother you for a link. You also didn't put the music score in a wad file, so it wasn't as easy as to just upload it and provide a link.

The general consensus is that your music was going to be provided in a separate *.wad inside the zip, but we really didn't have time for this in the last couple of hours before the release.

Sorry about that, but it was a problem of communication and I don't recall you joining the IRC channel during the development :(

ellmo said:

The problem is - you let us know you were working on a new music score a bit late, you also never spoke of it before, so it took us by surprise. After you were finished, you didn't send the music to anyone on the team, so Xaser himself had to bother you for a link. You also didn't put the music score in a wad file, so it wasn't as easy as to just upload it and provide a link.

The general consensus is that your music was going to be provided in a separate *.wad inside the zip, but we really didn't have time for this in the last couple of hours before the release.

Sorry about that, but it was a problem of communication and I don't recall you joining the IRC channel during the development :(

I mentioned several times in the dev thread that I was redoing things. And I sent the files to xaser a full day before release. Are you seriously telling me that it would've taken over a day to put it in?

Dtwid is at version 1.0, correct? So put the files in, call it version 1.1, and everyone goes home happy.

Ha! I love the "promotional" material.

I played through one of the betas not that long ago and I enjoyed myself. I suppose one could get into a big mapping philosophy discussion over the whole project (well...I guess that's already happened), but I thought it was fun and so I'm good with that :P

Mr. Freeze said:

(...)I sent the files to xaser a full day before release. Are you seriously telling me that it would've taken over a day to put it in?

Actually yes, there were a lot of things we were still working on. And you only sent the files to Xaser, because he asked you for it. You chose the least comfortable way to communicate with the team.

We had 4 mappers working on last-minute fixes and the entire team discussing lat-minute issues.

We're sorry it came out like this, but music was not a priority at this moment.

ellmo said:

Actually yes, there were a lot of things we were still working on. And you only sent the files to Xaser, because he asked you for it. You chose the least comfortable way to communicate with the team.

We had 4 mappers working on last-minute fixes and the entire team discussing lat-minute issues.

We're sorry it came out like this, but music was not a priority at this moment.

So just insert it right now, and well call it 1.1. The music is all done, its just a point-and-insert process now.