Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Xaser
Forum Staple

http://dtwid.herokuapp.com/images/doom_small.png
[/idgames link] -- [official site] -- [dev thread]

[Version 1.1a released on 2-24-2012 -- update if you haven't yet!]

For those who haven't heard of it, Doom The Way id Did (or DTWiD for short) is a 3-episode tribute to our beloved DOOM.WAD, designed not as a homage-spree but as an answer to the question "What would it look like if id had decided to create a 10th map for each episode?" The end result is a full set of maps that's meant to look, feel, and play like they came from the hands of Romero, Petersen, and Hall, and we hope that they send a chill of nostalgia down your spine.

Some Official DTWiD Promotional Material:
http://i.imgur.com/HmhJq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/230Zg.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/BSzZV.png
http://i.imgur.com/wUmi5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/K8Nv9.png
http://i.imgur.com/AdsFY.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/Cll8u.png

What are you waiting for? Download it!

Also see the official DTWID site and development thread for more behind-the-scenes info, if you're brave enough to read it all!

Huuuge thanks to Hellbent for starting it, a few key guys (Ellmo, Essel, St. Alfonzo, and Marnetmar) for being there throughout the entire development process, Kracov for the amazing artwork (check out the intermission screens!), and to all our talented mappers for making a smashing (in my somewhat-biased opinion) set of maps. It's a loong list of credits... that's a good thing. :)

Last edited by Xaser on 02-24-12 at 17:50

Old Post 12-11-11 01:22 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

We did it!
Happy birthday Doom!

Old Post 12-11-11 01:24 #
ellmo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

It's done, it's finally done!

Huge thanks to everyone who contributed, everyone's names, including those whos maps did not make it in, are in the text file.

Old Post 12-11-11 01:25 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BloodyAcid

AWESOMESAUCE!

Downloading now! Great job on it from the screens :D

Happy Birthday Doom

Old Post 12-11-11 01:30 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Thanks Team. I lit the flame and you all carried the torch. Wish I could have been more involved in the last few months, but very glad that you all carried the vision through to the end!

Old Post 12-11-11 01:32 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Nice, now to see the Runners Up map megawad(s) eventually?

Old Post 12-11-11 02:09 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

AWESOME!!! =D

It was great contributing to this, even if I only made one small map.

Old Post 12-11-11 02:20 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

This might be nitpicking, but...

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9852/doom04.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

E3M2

Old Post 12-11-11 03:49 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

It took you that much maps to notice the misalignments?

Old Post 12-11-11 03:51 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

No, I started with e3m1 cuz Inferno is my favorite and noticed this one. Kinda stared at me worse than the others, it looks like something Id wouldn't have done ;).

Old Post 12-11-11 03:59 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

All the textures are aligned to 0,0.

Old Post 12-11-11 04:07 #
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Not really a big deal and there are almost surely some similar examples in the iwad maps, but I know an easy and rather id-like way it could be fixed... get rid of the 16-or-so wide extra linedef to the left of the switch. ;P

Old Post 12-11-11 04:09 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Grain of Salt
Forum Regular

Last edited by Grain of Salt on 06-01-12 at 16:40

Old Post 12-11-11 04:17 #
Grain of Salt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular

now that's great to see it released as planned right on doom's birthday. congratulations.

Old Post 12-11-11 07:25 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vaporizer
Forum Regular

Finally! This looks awesome, I'll definitely try this.

Yay, I'm mentioned in the text file. I still have the map I was working on but it's in very early stages, didn't finish
it.

EDIT: Through the first four levels now (didn't find the secret level). Great job so far!

Last edited by Vaporizer on 12-11-11 at 09:29

Old Post 12-11-11 08:50 #
Vaporizer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Glad to see that this project is finally finished, kudos to the project team for a job well done. :)

Old Post 12-11-11 09:24 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Captain Toenail
Forum Regular

Was great taking part in this project, making classic Doom themed maps was a nice challenge. Having my name omitted from almost all the credits is not nice though... :(

Old Post 12-11-11 13:16 #
Captain Toenail is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Those demos are far too obviously being played badly! You can see the player consciously avoiding health and weapon pickups and making a point of running past safe zones.

Otherwise a fantastic job team! I'm glad we got it all out at last and on time, too! Good work everybody involved.

Old Post 12-11-11 13:19 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Evolution

Congrats guys! As I've said in the channel: this wad relit some fires that went out with far too many e1-e2 doom runs. :)

Old Post 12-11-11 13:46 #
Evolution is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

No music of mine? What the hell is going on?

Old Post 12-11-11 14:30 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dannebubinga
Forum Regular

I recorded a FDA for E2. I didn't care about secrets or kills. I just played E2 casually.

complevel 3

I had fun, but the whole episode was REALLY dark. It almost got annoying at times. Good work with the project fellows. I remember starting a map for this project when it was just starting, but I dropped it because I didn't think it was fun mapping with the rules you made up in mind. I still feel that these maps are waaaay more advanced and detailed than anything Petersen could come up with, which is of course a good thing. You took the highlights from Petersen's design and polished it. Good job

Old Post 12-11-11 15:58 #
dannebubinga is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
HavoX

Mr. Freeze said:
I'd like to know the same thing.

The lack of new music doesn't bother me though, since it doesn't seem to affect gameplay IMHO.

Last edited by HavoX on 12-11-11 at 18:29

Old Post 12-11-11 16:03 #
HavoX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

Mr. Freeze said:

The problem is - you let us know you were working on a new music score a bit late, you also never spoke of it before, so it took us by surprise. After you were finished, you didn't send the music to anyone on the team, so Xaser himself had to bother you for a link. You also didn't put the music score in a wad file, so it wasn't as easy as to just upload it and provide a link.

The general consensus is that your music was going to be provided in a separate *.wad inside the zip, but we really didn't have time for this in the last couple of hours before the release.

Sorry about that, but it was a problem of communication and I don't recall you joining the IRC channel during the development :(

Old Post 12-11-11 16:17 #
ellmo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

ellmo said:

The problem is - you let us know you were working on a new music score a bit late, you also never spoke of it before, so it took us by surprise. After you were finished, you didn't send the music to anyone on the team, so Xaser himself had to bother you for a link. You also didn't put the music score in a wad file, so it wasn't as easy as to just upload it and provide a link.

The general consensus is that your music was going to be provided in a separate *.wad inside the zip, but we really didn't have time for this in the last couple of hours before the release.

Sorry about that, but it was a problem of communication and I don't recall you joining the IRC channel during the development :(

I mentioned several times in the dev thread that I was redoing things. And I sent the files to xaser a full day before release. Are you seriously telling me that it would've taken over a day to put it in?

Dtwid is at version 1.0, correct? So put the files in, call it version 1.1, and everyone goes home happy.

Old Post 12-11-11 16:28 #
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Ha! I love the "promotional" material.

I played through one of the betas not that long ago and I enjoyed myself. I suppose one could get into a big mapping philosophy discussion over the whole project (well...I guess that's already happened), but I thought it was fun and so I'm good with that :P

Old Post 12-11-11 16:49 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

Mr. Freeze said:
(...)I sent the files to xaser a full day before release. Are you seriously telling me that it would've taken over a day to put it in?

Actually yes, there were a lot of things we were still working on. And you only sent the files to Xaser, because he asked you for it. You chose the least comfortable way to communicate with the team.

We had 4 mappers working on last-minute fixes and the entire team discussing lat-minute issues.

We're sorry it came out like this, but music was not a priority at this moment.

Old Post 12-11-11 16:50 #
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

You didn't manage to meet the 2011 Cacoward deadline! Hahaha

Old Post 12-11-11 17:24 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
AlexMax

Aren't some of the maps have missing dm starts?

Old Post 12-11-11 18:06 #
AlexMax is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

ellmo said:

Actually yes, there were a lot of things we were still working on. And you only sent the files to Xaser, because he asked you for it. You chose the least comfortable way to communicate with the team.

We had 4 mappers working on last-minute fixes and the entire team discussing lat-minute issues.

We're sorry it came out like this, but music was not a priority at this moment.

So just insert it right now, and well call it 1.1. The music is all done, its just a point-and-insert process now.

Old Post 12-11-11 18:11 #
Cell

Will the next step be UD the way ID did?

Old Post 12-11-11 18:21 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote