Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Cool map danne. No fda because I didn't find bfg and it obviously didn't end well (and yes, I'm aware of the fact that it's close to impossible to miss). If I were to change something, maybe I'd put bfg to AV house and change cells into rockets in manco house. It played pretty well without bfg given right away.

Anyway, here is DH's kinda big map which he sent me to do gameplay edits to, but unfortunately I haven't thought of too much because no matter what, it lowers to absolute zero FPS within a minute. Besides, the layout and the way stuff is placed just invokes headache so I'm washing my hands of it. Maybe ToD or somebody could make something out of it. Requires gothictx.wad.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xtvd1zfd0d9gffh

BTW, with this pace of doing maps, sf2013 should be finished by the end of this year.

Thanks for demo and feedback guys. That coop teleporter broke the map quite hard IMO. I have to block that teleporter once hell breaks loose in the final room.

Next upload will be with the BFG in the AV room like j4rio said. I think it can work both as a way to spice the fight up, but it could also become annoyingly hard.

Edit: Try this one

So I did a FDA (on the first version) and died plenty, but I forgot to put -record in the command line.

I liked the BFG in the manc room just fine, myself. Having to deal with that many archviles with just rockets I wouldn't be so big about.

PEs seemed to get hit by other monsters before their ambush happened.

On my first try I picked the available megasphere (in the lower hellknight floor) right away and so found myself having to deal with the next part with 40hp. Needless to say, this is where I died. :)

I'd think having the megasphere on a pillar that would lower at the same time as the other walls might show it is meant for what's coming further. Although I suppose you might have put it there so there's the choice to pick it whenever the player wants. Perhaps a berserk pack or a soulsphere on the other side of the wall could help?

(Some?) switches didn't animate and that cost me my second life, as archviles popped up and did their stuff silently while I was having a stare down contest with that lion.

I crossed the linedefs triggering the final fight too early and got my ass kicked, badly, so I can't comment on that one.

Very enjoyable. It's funny to see how small the map is in DB2, because it really doesn't feel like gimmicky or cramped at all. Great one.

Edit: did a FDA on the second version and... forgot again to add -record. King of stupid is me.

The BFG being moved to AV room wasn't as bad as I feared, although still very hard to me. Haven't completed the final fight yet. I got further but died, with about 1300 monsters killed... Yep, you can guess what my problem is, archviles. :)

If Ancalagon got out in merely two lives on his very first try, I guess the difficulty is alright for people good enough to handle it, and I should just play on HMP.

Checking the lower difficulties on DB2 it seems most of the changes are bigger powerups. I feel it might be more interesting if it was mostly less archviles (and powerups wouldn't have to be bigger; that said, I like the extra medikits). Specifically:
- first AV room: 4 AVs instead of 8
- lava teleport fight: 4 AVs instead of 16

Skill 2 could also use invul spheres, in my opinion. The starting area can be overwhelming. I'd throw one right near the spot where the backpack is, and possibly one other near the lava teleport fight.

ToD: Here is a list of the q1tex.wad resources that wasn't included in the sf2011-tex.wad. Should I put the stuff in the resources and send it to you, or do you want to add it?

textures:

qmet11
qcity04
qcity14

flats:

litef14
cityf07
copf10
grave11

Phml: I compromised a bit with the BFG after reading your reply and testing some more myself. I Settled for BFG in the manc room, but with only 200 cells. Better use them wisely now.

Thanks for the heads up on the PEs taking damage. I moved them back 64 units.

The switches is now animating correctly. Dunno why it didn't work in the last version.

The megasphere stays as it is.

This version might be screwed since I removed the q1tex.wad and added some stuff from the sf2011 resource. But I guess it's ok to use both q1tex and sf2011 resources to play it til the q1 stuff is added to the sf2011 resource.

Edit: I saw your edit now. Will look into the other skill levels more. I wasn't thinking to much when I made the skill levels.

And yeah, ancalagon... Strolling through this level in 2 tries likes it's no big deal. I won't make it harder because of that though.

Slaughtenstein 18/02

Danne mentioned missing textures, so I took a look and also found some minor architectural problems (detail stuff, nothing important). No gameplay changes.

DH's unfinished map is without any of my edits, so no reason for me to show as an author in 1st post.

dannebubinga said:

And yeah, ancalagon... Strolling through this level in 2 tries likes it's no big deal. I won't make it harder because of that though.

Lol don't, map was actually hard and I got lucky many times. got problems with ammo and had to abuse the coop teleporter.

j4rio said:

DH's unfinished map is without any of my edits, so no reason for me to show as an author in 1st post.

Incidently I wondered what all the fuss was about, it had a fantastic layout and creative flow of enemy placement but it felt lacking in some traps, especially the end one.

Your referring to Bane's Atrium I assume.

Bane is mostly finished, I referred to that slightly larger map. The ending of that map is the unfinished part. I'm not saying a thing about it further because I've already found out that tastes of players tend to differ a lot and trying to please everyone is close to impossible. If you like it, I'm sure DH is glad. However, I would be glad if all maps that make it to final wad are maxable from pistol start.

danne - it's no problem, you can use new textures. Myself, I won't think about adding the new textures into the resource wad until all the maps are finished. So, saying your map "requires q1tex" is fine.

j4rio - the wars map uses the pink bfg, right? so it'll have a death exit?

I will say this about my larger map. It will be mostly unplayable on UV by those with less than a top of the line PC from 2 years ago. It already has more monsters than Holyhell and it's not done. I actually have some time this week so I might do something with it and finish it up.

ToD: No, it will not have a death exit. I want it to be the final map of SF 2012.

Please, tell me you haven't populated that map with only thought in mind being that you surpass holyhell. I have just checked it a little more closely and noticed 5000 monsters being on entirely empty platforms unnecessary to visit for reaching exit - out of which is 1000 chaingunners that take out each other within a few seconds. Sorry but holyhell had a purpose for placement of majority of monsters and you never see 1000 just simply take out each other there within seconds. That layout can be used so much better and without putting monsters everywhere just for the pure hell of being there. You can make gameplay with that layout interesting with 10X lower monster count. Besides, you use teleporter traps so it won't be possible to be map 30.

FDA for damned legion

It started of good and everything looks really nice.

The later parts of the map was quite dry on ammo though. That's the only reason the map was hard (til the part where I died).

Giving away more SG ammo would be a big plus, cause as it is now, you are given 1 chance only to optimize the use of your ammo.

This one has potential to be a very good map. This is just my first impression of the map though, maybe there were hundreds of shells I missed along the way, but I don't have time to play anymore this week.

GJ

I liked it - cool

Rather minor stuff I disliked
- Two archviles behind invisible walls. I'd remove them both.
- Cybers crusher. I'd put a button on the upper stony ledge rather than make it a walk-on trigger.
- Secrets. Megasphere and bfg in a secret is a thing I really, really dislike. Here are 2 megasphere secrets, and also bfg one that I assume requires avjump - no good. Also fourth one with really generous ammo surplus (600 cells and over 100 rockets) is way too generous. Fifth one with soulsphere is fine. What I'd do is either remove them completely (bfg one especially) or move their content to non-secret area and downgrade them (megasphere -> soulsphere ; ammo -> less ammo)
- Last fight - it's cool, but I'd lock player in and also add more ammo, so it won't just turn into camping rockets in hall.
- Area with shotgunners, cacos and 2 avs needs a coop teleporter or it can stuck player in without a way out.

Of course, it's all only minor stuff. As a whole, I really liked it. Good job.

FDA for Damned Legion. Dies a lot, doesn't complete.

I liked it, although I had several issues with it.

Playing pacifist for the first few minutes turns every fight up to that point into a joke. There isn't really anything obstructing your way, all you need to do is hug the imps and move along. Making it harder to squeeze through silently (i.e. more imps) or simply waking the monsters right away (i.e. shootable switch right at the start) could take care of that.

Additionally, the archvile trap near the plasma gun can be made fairly easier by staying at the edge and activating the switch from the upper floor. Not sure if that's worth changing, this little ambush feels hard enough regardless.

In the next room, the number of cybies coupled with their position, the relative lack of ammo, the small room in which you have complete safety and the crusher makes activating the crusher and just hiding out until they're dead a very appealing strategy, which isn't too interesting. I'd say removing the crusher or making its trigger much closer to the cybies, along with adding plasma ammo on the top floor and possibly removing a few cybies would go a long way towards making this more fun.

Beyond that, things were all good, save for one thing: I have to echo danne, this really needs more ammo. At times it felt like I was punished for not having already perfect knowledge of the map - i.e. against mancubuses when I wasted much of my ammo on them only to trigger cyberdemons right behind, right after.

I assume I got to the final fight, and, yeah, I think I had all of 200 or 400 cells to deal with that gigantic horde including cybies and archviles, so after playing "match the projectiles" with revenants and hellknights for what seemed like a dozen minutes I ran around more aggressively and quickly died. At which point I gave up, because I know unless I crack open DB2 or play with saves, I'll never figure this fight "the right way".

The map was also especially dark. I first raised gamma level to 2, then for that final fight it still seemed super dark so I went to 3. Probably should have just played the whole thing on gamma level 4, seeing how tight it was on ammo, but I was reluctant to do so - which, in the end, is a good thing, meaning I liked the looks and atmosphere enough to not want to ruin it right away. ;)

Thank you.

I left a special opportunity for the players consciously. I would like to look at how different people will pass this level, so did special loopholes and secrets, mainly for this purpose.

But I will take note of your advice and I will try today to share an updated version.

Btw cool demos. Really makes feel where I forgot to put ammo/health.

So, updated version.

Archi, that is some good looking architecture. Or,should that be, Archi-texture... Lololllolloll. I'm so funny. Really.

But seriously, nice work. This is shaping up to be a really interesting project.

I think it plays fine, but it will be no FDA friendly business. In the second version you can still play pacifist and skip some fights - requires a shootable switch, barrels or something like that in the way. Also, can you enter first secret without archvile jump? Also I tried last room a bit and it plays really fine if player is locked right in there without a way out to camp in the hall. Maybe moving the additional ammo in there and then locking player in without access outside the room?

Hi everyone, really sorry that I have not been active at all in this project so far but I have had real life stuff that had to take priority over my Doom commitments! I still hope to submit a map to this project; seems like you've made huge progress, so congrats to everyone, and my apologies if my entry doesn't match up to everyone's standard!

It's ok, we still have 10 months left. I'm sure people will FDA your map when it's done and will give suggestions if they want. Hopefully everyone who showed interest in the beginning is still interested. :)

Yes, I'm still interested. I have a couple of ideas too but I'm not yet certain whther or not they will work due to my inexperience in the genre.

First I want to finish my first D2TWiD submission, which is a couple of nice areas away from a first draft. If NHFP is still active I should probably map for that first too...

I'm still working on my original Slaughtermap called "Splatter-House", but I use the word "original" lightly as it is a tribute to Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta maps that should be recogniseable instantly. I've added my own twist.

I've got a simple idea for another map called "Point Defence", but it would definitely need a good computer to cope with the pile-up of corpses.