Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Zones of Fear - Czech MegaWAD

I didn't hear anything about this until I checked out some incoming traffic to my blog and found a Czech Doom blog, the most recent post talking about Zones of Fear, a megaWAD that has just recently gone into beta testing. It's an open beta so I thought I'd put the word out so anyone who's interested can help them out.

Looks really original and interesting. Good find. Keep us posted.

DeathevokatioN said:

Looks interesting, I hope someone translates the page, though.

Google Chrome has a built in translate feature. It's not perfect, but it does an adequate job.

Only few days passed since we published our thoughts, where we mentioned a development of purely czech megawad Zones of Fear by the team consisting of following authors : Damned, Des_Arthes, Enkeli, Jaeden, Klofkac.

I'm proudly letting you all know that the work on this wad has advanced to beta phase, so release of a final version is coming closer.

It would be cool if authors recieved some feedback, so enkeli33 invites active doomers to engage in betatesting at Liquid Doom forum.

So if any of our readers want to playtest, have a look at forum, let authors know and, of course, write suggestions.

Let's show the world that our czech community is an elite one.

Link to forum
*link*

Link to beta
*link*

And just for you to know, that the wad looks really tempting, here is a trailer.
*video*

Let's show the world that our czech community is an elite one.

Looks like we've found the Czech Tormentor667 :P

I've taken another look at the footage and it has a nice classic feel to it, in some areas the level of detail and "feeling" reminds me very much of Heretic, and that area with the green torches and the shawn texture has a heavy Icarus vibe to it and looks like it came straight from the 90's, and I mean this in a good way. The more I analys this the more I'm tempted to play it, I'd probably have to turn my "nitpicky" phasers off, though. :)

Okay, so, you guys need to download and play the beta NOW!. Just looking through it briefly confirms that the level design is stunning. If I've noticed anything about Czech game makers and editors it's that they pay a lot of attention to detail. Some of the levels are friggin' huge too. I'll post a more detailed report when I have time to play through this beast.

looking at all those levels, man am I gonna be having a fun if I get around to playing it. Map30's especially huge for a final level, much bigger than the final levels in the two scythe megawads, which were mega-tough themselves.

Okay so, I looked at and played some of the levels more in depth now. I must say, if this is this crew's first megawad. Nice work. There are problems however, there are many switch and door tags that don't work yet. And some of the larger rooms are kinda plain. But overall, if they fix all the bugs I'd give it 5/5 for awesome out-of-the-blueness.

Those are some interesting and rather unique levels. Nice find kmxexii. :)

General Rainbow Bacon said:

There are problems however, there are many switch and door tags that don't work yet.

Where? Perhaps you tried to play with complevel 2 in prboom? This wad seems to be Boom-oriented.

Maybe I just couldn't figure out the puzzle, but I couldn't get the door to the main area to open in the map "the gate to hell"...or whatever the title was.

and I don't ever play in -clvl2 unless I'm recording a demo

Ok guys, i'm really glad to hear you like it :)

We have new webside about our megawad
http://liquiddoom.net/zof/

You can download it and test! If you found some mistakes, bugs or just something what sucks and you dont like it - write me feedback ;)

I apprecaite all kinds of feedback. But please use screenshots or something... I just want to know what is wrong exactly and screenshots can describe the problem better, then it can be fixed faster...

I's boom compatible. In doomsday engine for example it doesn't work at all. Yeah, you launch the game, but switches dont work and that's unplayable...

Maybe some of switches dont work in pr.boom neither. But we're working hard to fix that... Sorry, i'm stupid and some switches I set up wrong...

Well, that's all. Sorry for my english, not my born language ;)

Wow, these levels are really good. I like the level of detail combined with good gameplay. That first castle level is pretty cool looking

Can't find a working link to acquire this.

The page on Liquid Doom pops up a 404 - Are you a Lost Soul image.

Bloodite Krypto said:

Can't find a working link to acquire this.

The page on Liquid Doom pops up a 404 - Are you a Lost Soul image.

Please, be petiet - we are almost done and everything will be fine ;)

Zones of Fear is now available on the archives, for anyone holding out for the official release. Download it and show your appreciation! (or not)

saifi said:

this sucks, I don't understand the language.

What do you mean? All is in english...

enkeli33 said:

What do you mean? All is in english...

No, I'm talking about the front page that contains the thread, but there's an english page for the official wad..i know...but thanx anyway.

whoopsie on map 12... at the end you are supposed to use the comp map to pick the time, but that area's set for hidden. Luckily I remembered :)

This WAD was not my kinda thing. The only map I liked was map28, even though it was as symmetrical as a bad dream.

My bad dreams are symmetrical.

Played 3 maps so far, and while I agree with some of the criticism, it's been well worth my time nonetheless. The mapper of the first two maps (enkeli33) has a bit of an issue where there's some nice setpieces and detail that have a good classic feel--on the level of say the nicer maps of Final Doom--but elsewhere it lapses back into walls and rooms that are too large/bland, or rectilinear, to look good. Map03, on the other hand, seemed really well crafted all the way around. Looking forward to playing some more.

I guess I found a bug; one may get trapped in a secret room in MAP06. Details have been sent via PM.