Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

PANOPHOBIA - Community Project (Let's get this going again shall we! )

You think they detract from the experience? Would you care to explain that a bit more? I personally feel they tie the maps together nicely, plus it gets us to 32 maps so we can take advantage of the secret slot (MAP15) and the telefragging properties on MAP30.

Sorry, turns out I was using an outdated beta. From the v.3 alpha, I meant the box-name maps like MAP25 that don't have a running scared component as of yet. (I retract my previous statement due to my own shortsightedness).

On a quick note, is there still room for a few more maps (both running scared and standard phobia maps)?

Oh yeah, we will replace those single box rooms. I think every standard fear map is accounted for, but we have three Running Scared maps that we have left to complete. I dunno if MajorRawne is doing any of those (I know he has them started, but it seems as though he's prioritizing his main maps for the next deadline), but if you want to work on one or two that would be great. I listed the rules for them a page or two ago.

Starting the next few days, I'll be posting which maps I'm working on and what needs doing. I'll also email "completed" maps to Dobu to fix the teleporter traps as we've discussed, as I simply cannot get teleporter traps to work consistently, a perennial nightmare which been a major factor in not getting any Doom maps released in the last 6 years!

I'll be finishing off two Running Scared maps which are in rough outline shape. If these bog me down too much I'll hand them off mid-Jan to someone who works faster.

Woah, double post!

My new girlfriend has got involved! She is very visually creative and used to hammer Doom back in the 90s. We are going to spend the next couple of days evaluating my maps and comparing them to popular maps by skilled authors, including of course the Panophobia team's to improve megawad coherence.

Acid Reign: Final arena needs a visual upgrade; gameplay flow needs intensive testing, as I usually get killed in the Hell Knight corridor near the E1M1 room, and haven't actually beaten the map yet; teleporter traps don't all work; light levels need heavy revision; Doom 2 tribute secret doesn't work as planned.

Nightmare in Spiderland: Second half of map is unfinished; no gameplay flow beyond the starting area; secrets need implementing; need to heavily investigate how to make good outdoor maps.

Welcome to Hell: Pretty much finished.

Temple of Forgotten Gods: Pretty much finished. Just need to sort out the Lost Soul problem, tweak the silver road and final area including final secret, and to prevent the player skipping half the fething map!

Running Scared 1 (Rising Horror): Only a shitty placeholder map at present, but I've got an unusual idea which will hopefully turn out to be memorable. It's definitely unique.

Running Scared 2 (Stairway to Chaos): Again, this is currently only in a rough draft as I just wanted a placeholder which I could revise later.

Updated The Circulatory; it now includes all difficulties. Download here. BK arena still remains bumpy, but otherwise I tried to implement all suggestions.

Started work on Gluttonous Myriad, and I have some pretty wild ideas so it's going to be a long time before my next update. We're on track for our February beta so far!

Can anyone advise me how to add custom waterfall textures into Doom? I am looking for blue and brown waterfall textures. It really pisses me off these weren't included in Doom 2 for some reason (I apologise if they are but I cannot find them in DB2), it's preventing me from finishing my water and spider maps.

6-IWAD resources only (except music)

I thought that the whole gist of the challenge with this mapping project was the required creativity in using stock IWAD textures.

I'd try and stick to just the stock stuff Major—the Hydrophobia map is more impressive given there's no WFALL texture of any sort IMO. That and I'd rather not have to fiddle with adding animated textures.

I'm nearly ready for beta releases of my phobia maps (Nightmare in Spiderland is still in alpha though). My maps in the released alpha wad are ridiculously unplayable and represent my work from 2 years ago.

I've made more progress in the last 3 days than I have done in all of 2014!

WELCOME TO HELL (panophobia):
* Significant visual improvements to the starting area including better use of colour, more vertices to create natural looking terrain, slightly increased height variation and additional terrain features, with many more Things for decoration (trees, torches, corpses).
* Commencement of greater height variation in the second half of the map (the claustrophobia section gave the illusion you were descending into the bowels of the earth - when I'm finished, you actually will be).
* Most of the main cavern section and all of the water/heights, madness, death, blood/meat sections are now finished!
* Gameplay should now be balanced and is therefore finished!
Still to do: Certain areas need to be made more natural-looking; the claustrophobia section now actually descends into the earth; the canyon/corridor area connecting the start area with the cavern needs way more colour and detail (already started) with better height variation.

NIGHTMARE IN SPIDERLAND (arachnophobia):
* Significant breakthroughs in mapping style including a nearly map-wrecking accident which actually inspired an overhaul of the final (ruins) section, hugely improving the visuals and adding lots of nice gameplay ideas for the end of the map.
* The bland ROCK5 areas including the tunnels which connect all areas of the map are getting a huge visual overhaul, using simple techniques from Mishri Halek and other AV maps.
Still to do: The map is only half-playable and I really, really need to fix the Madman's Bluff area in order to make the boss fight worthwhile. The secrets also need implementing. Really, this map is the one holding me back.

I would like to thank my beautiful (and she really is beautiful) girlfriend Kelly for sitting by my side as I painstakingly compared my Panophobia maps to the following Alien Vendetta maps: Beast Island, Toxic Touch, Nemesis, Mishri Halek, Firewalk With Me and Point Dreadful. I was about ready to give up on my fething maps without her support. Now they are hugely improved.

I've found that maps tend to look better when playing them than they do in the editor and they look MILES better when playing them than they do in screenshots. Here are examples of Welcome to Hell:

grouchbag said:

I know it sounds silly,but has anyone thought of doing a map about the fear of fish?

Yes. It's MAP32 of D2TWID. :)

Much nicer looking shots Major—the green helps the browns to pop a little bit more. Remember that you can pull the F_SKY1 down a bit in certain areas to give the mountain walls a little more variance in size.

Throwing out a little teaser for my map; it's been a real headache trying to properly design its layout, but hopefully it turns out like I'm planning.

Dobu, that's the part I need help with. It might be all I need to finally finish some of these maps off.

Your own map is looking bloody impressive.

Double post again.

I am working on two Running Scareds but do not know if I can get both completed and playable by February, with four main maps to finish as well. Let me know if you need me to surrender a Running Scared map. I want to keep what I've made for future use, so anyone submitting a new RS map will be building one from scratch. EDIT: If it's too late to change, at least one of the Running Scared maps I submit by Feb will be in alpha.

What are the texture and gameplay guidelines for RS maps and how strict are they? My current idea involves hitting switches while being pursued by 438 Demons.

The rules for the RS segments are as follows:

1)The level should not take longer then 3 minutes to beat
3)Outside area must be pitch black (brightness set to 25)
4)Use flat MFLR8_4 for the ceiling
5)Use ROCKRED1 texture as your primary texture

Remember that it's WAY more important to get the main maps done and squared away over the RS segments. Come the end of January, if we're missing some RS maps I can probably get a couple done in a single day so it's not really that big of a concern. Check out the alpha if you need ideas on how the gameplay fares in the RS segments (your idea sounds good).

Hi Dobu,

Hopefully the RS won't take too long. If only I was good enough to do a map in a day! :P

The main maps should be finished by end of Jan. Three of them just need re-texturing and possibly more monsters.

Only Nightmare in Spiderland, that eternal thorn in my side, is living up to its name. LOTS of work to do on the last part of the map.

Temple of Forgotten Gods (aquaphobia): This map is basically done. I can't be arsed to spend hours pulling down F_SKY1 to make walls seem more natural, maybe before the final release. The map is here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?kr2hkhp1g2ukfn8

Music is Tower of Stars from (I think)Chrono Trigger. Personally, I think this is a pretty good map, I'm pleased with most of it.

Screenshots from the alpha of my (very rough-looking) Running Scared map, no point saying "It's fugly" yet, there is plenty of work to be done. Dobu can decide which map this goes before, although currently it is using the Aquaphobia exit:

I'll probably run through your maps again once they've all come in. Also, I don't think the "RUN" is necessary for the running scared segment, as the player knows that's basically the point of these maps.

In lighter news that should hopefully help you Major, I'm postponing the beta until the end of February. I'm largely doing this because I don't want to rush any work on my map (it takes me a couple days to finish a single room), and seeing as we're the last ones working on the project (and that it's years late), I don't think the delay does any harm. With that said though, I still want this thing out the door ASAP, and if we can get the beta out sooner than that it'd be great.

That's a relief. I'll submit Welcome to Hell, Acid Reign and Forgotten Gods as complete (or near as dammit) by the end of Jan.

Spiderland and Running Scared 1 should be at playable beta by the end of Jan/early Feb.

If at all possible, I will try to work on Running Scared 2 in February.

I might need help with Spiderland. The last half of the map is just a gameplay disaster: a couple of huge, open spaces connected by a mile of empty tunnels. This fething map. I *think* I can make consistently workable teleporter traps now, so the open areas could turn into epic fights.

MajorRawne said:

Temple of Forgotten Gods (aquaphobia): This map is basically done. I can't be arsed to spend hours pulling down F_SKY1 to make walls seem more natural, maybe before the final release. The map is here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?kr2hkhp1g2ukfn8

Music is Tower of Stars from (I think)Chrono Trigger. Personally, I think this is a pretty good map, I'm pleased with most of it.

Nice map. Found three small things:

Some sort of visual error here, sector tag 85 (same error, different distances)

http://i.imgur.com/5SmQref.png
http://i.imgur.com/Nfj9KMj.png

Floating helmets, sector tag 89. Just need to move them all closer together.

http://i.imgur.com/L9I3MeJ.png

I've been told this is a ZDoom only issue, but: linedef tags 39 and 78 - monster teleports. You have 32 units past the linedef to the wall in one closet and 16 units in the other. Over half of a monster needs to cross the linedef before it will teleport. Demons are 64 units wide. On Easy, neither Demon teleported in. On Hard, one Baron didn't. Need more distance past the teleports.

Feedback! Thank you!! I will get on them tonight. I am now able to make teleporter traps that work consistently, so will fix the ones you mentioned and add a few more.

Anyone got any updates about their maps?

I have looked at the areas in your screenshots Effingham, but I cannot find the visual error. What source port were you using, or was it vanilla? (It's not designed for or tested in vanilla.)

Floating helmets and teleporter traps were all fixed. Teleporter traps are now more efficient. The final Hell Knight teleport ambush has been made far nastier. I have made more of the final arena crash into the sea. There have been several re-textures, nothing really noticeable, just correcting mistakes.

I am going to need help with pulling down F_SKY1, I cannot make it look consistently good. Map now 98% done.

MajorRawne said:

Uhhhh I don't know how closely you've been following development, but the project is just you and me now, and every other map is basically finished (barring fiends' [which I'm editing] and the RS segments). The error Effingham points out is with Linedef 4982—you'll want to move its nodes around to get rid of the slime trail. I also spotted bleeding with Linedef 4925. If you don't know how to find specific linedefs/sectors, just press F3 in Doombuilder and it'll search for you (under linedef index)

And yeah, pulling down the F_SKY can be a bit of a hassle, especially since it can give the border a flat zigzag pattern. If you want to give the background depth, you'll want to pull the sky down around the border and then pull up the ground next to it. Here's an example map you can download to check out in Doombuilder. Remember that if the sky is low in the middle of the map, it will bar your vision if you make the border really tall, so if you want to do a lot of variation in the walls you'll have to press F3 in Doombuilder, find all the sectors that have the FSKY flat, and then click "edit selection" and make the height something like 2000.

MajorRawne said:

I have looked at the areas in your screenshots Effingham, but I cannot find the visual error. What source port were you using, or was it vanilla? (It's not designed for or tested in vanilla.)

I'm using ZDoom. I looked at the map in an editor and couldn't find a missing texture or an open sector or any reason that line (4982) is behaving that way. So I tried saving the map (rebuilding the nodes) without touching anything else, and the error went away. No idea what happened.