Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

printz said:

How about a new easter egg monster? Unfortunately it will only be able to do hitscans.

How so? Isn't it possible to change codepointers in vanilla DEH?

A set of two Commander Keen maps where you ultimately have to kill four hanging Blazkowitzes would be fun.

Shadowcaster was developed by Raven Software and published by Origin. Yeah, the engine was licensed from id, but that's all. They wouldn't have had any right to it.

Likewise for Catacomb 3D; the copyright remained with Softdisk; that's why they aren't selling it now.

Anyway, the Wolf maps were a copout, as far as style recreation goes. I suppose the equivalent would be to just convert a couple of maps from some Wolfenstein mod (Spear Resurrection maybe; it seems the most famous).

Alternatively, recreate in glorious vanilla Doom features (no slopes, no 3D floors, no swimming in water) the first and last maps of Quake. With ugly sprite rips of the enforcers slapped on the WolfSS AI. I can see MAP32: Chton as a couple switches around a cyberdemon, press them both to trigger a crusher.

Marcaek said:

How so? Isn't it possible to change codepointers in vanilla DEH?

All available projectile attacks are taken, all that's left usable is hitscan.

Gez said:

where you ultimately have to kill four hanging Blazkowitzes would be fun.

Hah, such sprites already exist as generic hanged bodies in a serious Wolf mod [without the dying animation]. It was fairly creepy to repeatedly see yourself in such a grimaced stance.

Commander keen idea for the win. Quake has been done so many times that it doesn't even matter any more.

Maybe we could add new textures for the secret levels? And make 2 space station maps or something. (like Icarus map02)

How dare you guys not even bother do write me a mail it has officially started? :(

Played a bit of maps 24 and 30, liking them so far, although I don't know how you're supposed to

Spoiler

keep the bars open

in map30. Do I have to wedge a caco in there or something?

I have a feeling it will be a lot easier to map for this than it was for the first project.

Boundless enthusiasm!

For those who are preparing to prop up their submissions here in the thread, I will continually be scouring the lot so that they find their way to the OP as well. Until a home page is up and running with a list of submissions, I will aim to store them all comfortably in the next best place. It would be wonderful if you could also state as you first upload your map (as well as when any updates are made) whether or not you have implemented skill settings or DM.

1ntru said:

Please, and like, very please. Put the best effort on MAP29. That is one of my favorite maps ever, and I would love to see it revamped. That's my personal request.

Sorry if I failed to outline the project's aims properly, 1ntru, but there won't be any revamping or homage paying in this project! The project aims not the recreate the maps of Doom II, but rather the techniques and styles of the designers who made those maps such that the end product could fool the unknowing player into think that it was created by Petersen, Romero or McGee. Of course, this means that while you won't see The Living End in any form, you will recognise (hopefully) much of what is contained in that map architecturally, in terms of layout etc. in many of the other maps for the project.

Avoozl said:

I wish I could attribute to this but I don't think I have gone far in my mapping skills ever since I started a month or less ago, even learning the guidelines for the project when they are available won't be enough either

I think the best way to approach this project is as a mapping process rather than a show of quality to see who can conform to the goal best of all or who can clinch the key slots. For someone who has had little experience in mapping in particular, I think that this project could prove to be the most valuable learning curve on offer; especially if it's classic style maps you're most interested in creating. Not only that, but it flexes the power of imagination, innovation and resourcefulness, tools which will come in handy for just about every project you attempt in future, Doom or otherwise. My sole contribution for the last project was also my first release, and I like to think I got off to a good start.

Give it a go!

Also, I should stress that there really aren't any guidelines as such except for those fussy limitations; just an exploration of style with the extent of that exploration set completely at the discretion of the mapper.

How will you guys do the special maps then? I find it hard to make map 07 not homagy when restricted to vanilla behavior. Also, map 30 will be hard to be convincing since any room with the boss texture is "homagy".

E: I guess what I'm saying is that by using the monster special lines for map 07 at all is making it an homage, and by using the Romero Head at all on map 30 is intrinsically homaggy. Good luck with those.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I guess what I'm saying is that by using the monster special lines for map 07 at all is making it an homage, and by using the Romero Head at all on map 30 is intrinsically homaggy. Good luck with those.

Well I'd have to disagree with both there. For map07, making use of an action that is exclusive to that map is really nothing more than that. There are so many ways in which that action could be seen to be used - and that's essentially where homages are born - so by employing it in any other way than a Dead Simple manqué pillar arachnowall-down arena map is top dollar.

As for map30, well, the Icon of Sin is a monster that is comprised of many parts, and only ever named as the whole. The Cybermon's leg in Vault was never condemned for appearing in e2m8.

...using the monster special lines for map 07 at all is making it an homage, and by using the Romero Head at all on map 30 is intrinsically homaggy. Good luck with those.

I'd imagine map guidelines are the same for special maps as last time, at least considering "boss" maps. In e1m8, you fight the barons, the cyberdemon on e2m8, etc. I'm not sure about map07, but having a baphomet battle in map30 is about as id-standard as it gets.

stuff about homages

Not necessarily. The use of bosswall textures is required to give personality to the final encounter with the Icon. It's reasonable to assume for the sake of the project that Id could have used a different final boss level and even level concept while retaining the Icon's character. The existing map30 in the OP does a pretty good job.

As for map07, clever mapping can account for the special tags. Perhaps have the player face only Mancs and Aracs but not require that they be killed to finish the level. Maybe killing all of a type of monster could reward the player by revealing different treasures?

Keeper of Jericho said:

Yeah, like Spear of Destiny!

=p

Note that the boss music, as it is, is in reverse order of that of SoD. The music from MAP31 is the same as the music of a SoD level that looks pretty Doomified.

Marcaek said:

hah

I suggest a homage to a completely different game!

Doom 2.

That is the game these two levels should pay homage to.

You're welcome.

ellmo said:

How dare you guys not even bother do write me a mail it has officially started? :(

Cheer up, Elmo. :P

Anyway, I can't wait for this, it'll be like a late birthday present for me!

kristus said:

Commander keen idea for the win. Quake has been done so many times that it doesn't even matter any more.

Yes, this. Some Commander Keen secret levels would be really neat to see.

i've played map20 (my fav of the bunch) this afternoon and i get extremly pleased.... Actually reminds me a spiritual hommage of map23, or a first half hell episode map....

The last convincing Doom II remake I have played was "remain1.wad". It had only 11 levels, that was the downside of it. If you can make it last for the full 32 levels, it'll be remarkable! You already did a great job with the first Doom, I don't doubt the second run will be just as enjoyable!

NightFright said:

The last convincing Doom II remake I have played was "remain1.wad". It had only 11 levels, that was the downside of it. If you can make it last for the full 32 levels, it'll be remarkable! You already did a great job with the first Doom, I don't doubt the second run will be just as enjoyable!

Actually there's Doom 2 Reloaded somewhere... ;-)

But good side we have three amazing projects (Hadephobia, TNT2, D2TWiD). coming this year. ;-)

NightFright said:

i must have missed that one, and it's the usual quality by alexander s. one recognizes the corresponding doom2 maps instantly, yet it's still different. nice map set.

Awesome to see this has been announced! Once I get access to my computer, I'll try to make some good contributions.

This is my first time trying to emulate somebody's style, so this is weird for me lol. I'm trying out McGee's style, because he seems to be the closest to my own.

After about 20 minutes I have the first room finished. map pic. To prevent myself from making it too homag-y I'm trying to make a pure hell map, which (as far as I know) McGee didn't do much of in Doom 2.

Having lots of fun so far.

I might like this more than DTWID, just because I didn't have Doom II when it came out. This way I won't have unrealistic/impossible expectations of what everything should look and be like. I will have to find some time to make a map!