Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Compatibility of texture resizing in GZDoom with Brutal Doom and Beautiful Doom

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vdaxzter
Mini-Member

Hello,

Before I explain my issue I will post my system specs:

GPU: HD 6950 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00GHz
RAM: 6GB DDR3

When I play Brutal Doom .14 and Beautiful Doom 5.3 (separately, not together) in the latest build of GZDoom, I get perfectly fine performance for the most part. However, really chaotic levels and scenes (especially from certain wads like Hell Revealed) will cause my framerate to drop below 20 fps. I'm running GZDoom with high settings (although I have shaders for dynamic lights off), notably HQ4X high resolution texture resizing. I've been told that AMD cards have particularly shitty OpenGL drivers, so I'm wondering if my performance issues are the result of my card not being optimal for GZDoom, or if I'm simply encountering universal limitations of the engine. Particles and gibbing have the most dramatic negative impact on performance. For anyone else who has tried these wads with high settings in GZDoom, what have your experiences been like? Thanks.

Old Post 02-11-12 07:06 #
Vdaxzter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
phi108

The texture resizing filters are always a performance killer, there almost needs to be a warning next to them. Either off or 2x should give better performance on enhancement wads like Brutal doom. Try to set the filter to Textures only, as I think the resizing of many new sprites is what slows it too much.

Or you can fiddle with "Gl_texture_hqresize_maxinputsize" in the console, maybe settting it at 256 or 128 will speed things, or it might do nothing.

Old Post 02-11-12 16:32 #
phi108 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vdaxzter
Mini-Member

Even with resizing off it would seem that the particle effects (from Beautiful Doom especially) really hit the framerate hard. Running GZDoom with max settings (without enhancement packs) I get about 800 fps regardless of the scene's complexity, so I find it strange that the blood particles can drop the frames to 30 and sometimes lower.

Old Post 02-12-12 21:45 #
Vdaxzter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Are they "real" particles, or are they faked particles using actors?

Old Post 02-13-12 05:17 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vdaxzter
Mini-Member

Gez said:
Are they "real" particles, or are they faked particles using actors?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to distinguish between real and faked particles. Do you know what I can do to find out which kind Beautiful Doom uses? I've now determined that the poor performance is just with Beautiful Doom. Brutal Doom runs fine unless I use HQ4X resizing. When running Beautiful Doom, I have the option of using "Particles," "Sprites and Particles," or "Sprites" for things like blood and smoke trails. Switching between these settings doesn't seem to impact performance at all. I even tried disabling textures and the framerate was still really low while in a room with a bunch of dead enemies and blood particles all over the place. For instance, when I kill a Spiderdemon in Beautiful Doom, the particles that fly around after the death animation will bring the framerate from something like 600 down to 15.

Old Post 02-13-12 06:04 #