Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Best enhancement WADs
 
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vdaxzter
Mini-Member


Posts: 60
Registered: 02-12


Having searched through the forums, I don't think anyone has asked this question before. What are the best enhancement WADs available for Doom (gore wads, sound replacement/improvement, animations, textures, etc.)? I'm particularly interested in finding a WAD with sounds for the super and regular shotgun that are really powerful and satisfying. Thanks.

Old Post 02-22-12 06:32 #
Vdaxzter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey
Member


Posts: 518
Registered: 09-11


Brutal Doom has to be one of the best
Then i would probably recommend Project MSX

Old Post 02-22-12 06:33 #
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Seeker_of_Truth
Member


Posts: 330
Registered: 05-10


I'll second Brutal Doom.

I also like this Particle Enhancer Mod that may have what you're looking for, which is found here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...-8-for-gzdoom/.
Beautiful Doom could work as well, but I don't have a link for it offhand.

Old Post 02-22-12 06:47 #
Seeker_of_Truth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NightFright
Junior Member


Posts: 223
Registered: 08-10


Definitely the two mods from Per Kristian:
> Smooth Weapon Animations (there is a ZDoom-compatible version in this thread)
> Hires Doom Sound Pack

With the weapon animations you have to be careful when using custom wads, though. If they replace weapons, you'll have to deactivate it since the mod contains additional frames for the weapons which will break mod support. For normal Doom or vanilla pwads, there's nothing better you can possible use, though.

Old Post 02-22-12 08:59 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rsl
Mini-Member


Posts: 92
Registered: 01-10



sgt dopey wrote: Then i would probably recommend Project MSX


Yet I wouldn't classify it as a pure enhancement WAD, because it quite scraps the original gameplay system and arsenal to introduce a totally new one. Not that it's bad in any way, mind you... ;-)

Anyway, I would collect the most prominent enhancement mods in this list:

- GZDOOM Advanced (http://iddqd.ru/download?idclick=do...%EB%FF%20GZDoom)
- ReDOOM (http://kinsie.helloiaminter.net/imgs/doom/redoom.7z)
- Beautiful DOOM (http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16484)
- Brutal DOOM (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920)
- DOOM Plus (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...ons-blance-mod/)

In all honesty, a myriad of these has been made so that this list might be four of five times longer... But I'd dare to say these are the most prominent I can immediately remember.
I also made a couple ones, although they go a bit beyond the mere enhancement (don't know if it's really what you're looking for; also, they're getting upgraded):

- Revenge (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15913)
- DOOM NG (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16080)

So have fun... :-)

(EDIT) I thought I'd better clarify what I intended as "enhancement": to me, an enhancement mod is something that retains the fundamental DOOM arsenal structure (and possibly, aesthetics) and provides additional features to it, even slightly changing the gameplay. In the above list, you'll find mods that even add a reload feature...

Last edited by rsl on 02-22-12 at 22:45

Old Post 02-22-12 09:45 #
rsl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo


Posts: 4450
Registered: 03-04


What are the subtle differences between Beautiful doom and Brutal doom?

Old Post 02-22-12 15:58 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KiiiYiiiKiiiA
Senior Member


Posts: 1412
Registered: 04-11



NightFright said:
Definitely the two mods from Per Kristian:
> Smooth Weapon Animations (there is a ZDoom-compatible version in this thread)
> Hires Doom Sound Pack

With the weapon animations you have to be careful when using custom wads, though. If they replace weapons, you'll have to deactivate it since the mod contains additional frames for the weapons which will break mod support. For normal Doom or vanilla pwads, there's nothing better you can possible use, though.



Seconded.

Both of these superbly enhance the Dooming experience, and are two of my favorites.

I'm glad this thread got posted, as there are a few mods I haven't tried, namely Doom plus and ReDoom.

Old Post 02-22-12 16:05 #
KiiiYiiiKiiiA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple


Posts: 3373
Registered: 06-09


Beautiful Doom is more of a graphical overhaul, with only small gameplay changes (alt-fire for weapons and minor behavior differences here and there). Brutal Doom makes enemies more powerful, changes several weapons and adds cinematic takedowns.

I haven't had much experience with either mod, that's just how I remember it.

Old Post 02-22-12 16:32 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Porsche Monty
Member


Posts: 454
Registered: 06-10


I avoid these so called "enhancements" like plague, but the venerable Delirium patch by Denis Fabrice somehow worked for me.

__________________
Pirates are nothing but trash. Be a good citizen and support SOPA/PIPA.

Old Post 02-22-12 18:21 #
Porsche Monty is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL
Senior Member


Posts: 1984
Registered: 03-09



Seeker_of_Truth said:
I'll second Brutal Doom.

I also like this Particle Enhancer Mod that may have what you're looking for, which is found here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...-8-for-gzdoom/.



Pretty much this. PFEmod has a lot of cool features that don't really affect the gameplay too much whereas Brutal Doom makes Doom...well, brutal, increases the difficulty quite a bit.

__________________
Facebook | Twitter | Music on Facebook | Youtube | SoundCloud | ReverbNation

Old Post 02-22-12 18:48 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vdaxzter
Mini-Member


Posts: 60
Registered: 02-12


Someone posted these enhancement WAD links in another thread, but they're dead:

"enhance.wad includes:
-Perkristan's smoother weapon sprite animations (I made the pistol left handed again, the offsets are a little off but its hardly noticeable)
-the BFG from Z86's Particle Fire Enhancer Mod beta (has smooth animation) resized to more closely resemble the original
-shell casings (taken from above mod, but modified slightly) I also made it so that hitscan enemies eject shell casings
-Nash's Gore Mod, I removed all of the decals earlier because I play without decals
-new Zombieman sprites (holding pistol) taken from Beautiful Doom
-one new enemy, the Zombie Trooper (uses original Zombieman sprites and behaves exactly the same as the Wolfenstein SS) replaces Zombieman 25% of the time and the Wolfenstein SS
-an HUD with only Doomguy's face (it kinda sucks, I'm going to move the face to one of the bottom corners of the screen instead of the center and add a background for it)

music.wad includes:
-high quality version of the Doom soundtrack, no idea where it came from"

I looked up enhance.wad and music.wad but couldn't find them. Does anyone have working links for the above wads? Thanks.

Also, thanks for all of the responses so far.

Old Post 02-22-12 20:33 #
Vdaxzter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[PROTOTYPE]
Well it's obvious I haven't learned anything.


Posts: 390
Registered: 03-12


Zero Tolerance is very polished.The pistols also rock.

Old Post 03-04-12 21:17 #
[PROTOTYPE] is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Senior Member


Posts: 2472
Registered: 03-09


I made a PK3 that disables ZDoom's default decals. I just find them terrible looking, personally.

Old Post 03-04-12 22:10 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular


Posts: 780
Registered: 11-04



Vdaxzter said:
Someone posted these enhancement WAD links in another thread, but they're dead:

"enhance.wad includes:
-Perkristan's smoother weapon sprite animations (I made the pistol left handed again, the offsets are a little off but its hardly noticeable)
-the BFG from Z86's Particle Fire Enhancer Mod beta (has smooth animation) resized to more closely resemble the original
-shell casings (taken from above mod, but modified slightly) I also made it so that hitscan enemies eject shell casings
-Nash's Gore Mod, I removed all of the decals earlier because I play without decals
-new Zombieman sprites (holding pistol) taken from Beautiful Doom
-one new enemy, the Zombie Trooper (uses original Zombieman sprites and behaves exactly the same as the Wolfenstein SS) replaces Zombieman 25% of the time and the Wolfenstein SS
-an HUD with only Doomguy's face (it kinda sucks, I'm going to move the face to one of the bottom corners of the screen instead of the center and add a background for it)

music.wad includes:
-high quality version of the Doom soundtrack, no idea where it came from"

I looked up enhance.wad and music.wad but couldn't find them. Does anyone have working links for the above wads? Thanks.

Also, thanks for all of the responses so far.




is it this one by ceejay?

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1541

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...-doom-for-edge/

the bad part, as it was hosted on megaupload i'm just getting an FBI banner when trying to download it ;)

otherwise, i use nashgore, perkristian's enhanced sound & music wad and sigvatr's palplus pretty much as a standard when playing doom maps.

beautiful doom and brutal doom are also often used, however they change also gameplay, especially brutal doom.

Old Post 03-05-12 00:35 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomQuaker
Mini-Member


Posts: 67
Registered: 02-12


There is a way to use BrutalDoom flares and projectiles in a separate wad/zip file. When I play with models, the projectiles are very low quality

Old Post 03-05-12 17:12 #
DoomQuaker is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple


Posts: 2650
Registered: 08-10


What about AEons of Death?

Old Post 03-05-12 22:02 #
Katamori is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple


Posts: 2838
Registered: 09-10



Katamori said:
What about AEons of Death?


No

Old Post 03-05-12 22:03 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris


Posts: 4889
Registered: 07-02


There is a guy on this forum and various Doom forums (ZDoom, etc) making a complete sound replacement with his own work.

Old Post 03-06-12 02:34 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
 
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Best enhancement WADs

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are OFF
[IMG] code is ON
 

< Contact Us - Doomworld >

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.