Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

I'd love to upload a short map for candidacy. I've never released a map before, so I'll understand getting passed up for something higher quality. That aside, I'd like to take a shot, even if it's only so I can get some feedback. I will try my best not to submit crap, though. [:

Just looking back through the thread, so maybe this has come up already, but is there a certain theme or narrative progression we're going for? If so, I'd tailor my submission around that.

P.S. I for one am totally fine with being limited to vanilla Doom 1 or 2, or whatever, for the sake of having it all in one pack.

EDIT P.P.S. err, strike that... Still reading... Maybe I should just bow out of this one.

I'd prefer if all submissions were compiled into several MegaWADs if necessary, simply because the thought of having to constantly close and re-open the game just to play another map turns my stomach - D_RUNNIN, over and over again... Just have port-specific compilations or something.

Anyway, just to show that I've been doing something:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/135/imighthaveoverdonethis.png
No it's not finished yet, and no you can't have any in-game screenshots either. Because no.

It was going to be Vanilla-compatible, but Doom2.exe decided to eat itself with a Visplane Overflow as soon as the very first door opened. Oh well. Requires Boom-compatible stuff now.

schwerpunk said:

Just looking back through the thread, so maybe this has come up already, but is there a certain theme or narrative progression we're going for?

I hope not, seeing as I've chucked all that together with no regards for any sort of possible story or anything.

Kappes Buur said:

My contribution: RoundAndRound.wad
A map for GZDoom, but can also be played with ZDoom.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/IVEkOP4sCo/roundandound.7z

From the text file:

moderate to difficult

Boy, you weren't joking.

It's fun! Though I kind of got overwhelmed and fell in a pit that I couldn't find a way out of.

Either I just missed the exit, or you're one cruel son-of-a-bitch for making an inescapable pit without lava at the bottom. [;

Just to add my two cents into the packaging debate: Megawad = megabetter... For example, I've had Master Levels sitting on my hard drive for almost a year and I haven't played one level from them. I was disappointed to find out they were packaged like that. Even if the themes and difficulties are disjointed there's just that extra something you get from playing a megawad/pacakaged episode/whatever that's much more appealing.

Sign me up! I've had an idea for a wad bouncing around in my head for a while that I'd like to make. Gonna be leaving the country for three weeks so it'll be three weeks before I can do anything but its about time I add my own contribution to the community. :)

As the above poster mentioned, it would work much better as a megawad, and I would probably never play all the levels were it packaged like the Master Levels.

I would probably have to redesign my map as it is a piece of crap, compared from what I can make these days :/

My map "The Space Base" is finished. This is my 2nd map that I found worth enough to release. However I put a lot of effort into it trying to make a good map. I started making this map with something different (and simplier) in mind, but I changed the theme very soon. Maybe I will change the ending for the sake of the project if you complain. As I said, it's just my 2nd released map, so I appreciate any feedback.

It's MAP01, but for the sake of the project it can be moved to any other map - sky and music are changed via scripts. Play it with Skulltag. Although it can be run with ZDoom and GZDoom, there will be sound problems (missing door sounds). Jumping is required (there is lower gravity ;)). Designed also for coop and deathmatch.

Download link: http://www.ulozto.net/xck2UHS/tspacbas-zip (use limited downloading and you must rewrite text from picture before you can download)

Screenshots: see my previous post in this thread.

I do have a map that I would love to submit to a complete WAD, since I don't have the patience to create a full mega-WAD. I have a map on my harddrive that I've been working on for months, whenever I could find time.

The WAD is about 75% done now, and features only Doom 2's stock textures and materials, but I made it with GZDoom in mind (its in UDMF), so its very heavy on the dynamic lights, slopes, 3D floors, and it also has a Quake 2 style skybox and a few static 'friendly marines'.

Its a serious map, that plays at the time when hell first makes contact with earth. Some strange dimension makes a connection with our own, and that leads to various hellish scenery.

Please leave me a reply if this sounds appropriate for this WAD.

TimeOfDeath said:

- ALL MAPS WILL BE ACCEPTED

So why not? What you explained sounds well.

Ok. I just wasn't sure if there was any kind of limit in configuration. Most people like to play Doom 2 in the most primitive vanilla-way possible, but my maps are always in UDMF so I was just checking.

I haven't mapped about 2 months (had high school final exams) and now I'm back to the basics, my map should be ready in a few hours.
I've finished designing it and now I'm placing the monsters and working on the secrets.

forevervile and scifista, you make really cool maps! I liked much more the scifista's space base map.... but they're cool stuff

EDIT: So, tonight i checked out my map for seen if some tagged skies are been tagged properly, and in the meanwhile i've just few more detailing on the map and added a better mountainous outdoor in the hellish part (the one of the red fortress with cyber...):

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/jTWyq_pyAn/sahkeh.zip

Awesome NES pad. Way too good looking for a 90s-styled wad. ;)

looks cool from that shot, mspaintrocks and....
why timeofdeath don't update my map link with the newer one?

I'll see if I can whip something up over a weekend or month. Not until after I finish TNT2 stuff thought. Consider me interested.

I'd like to try making a map for this. I'm currently making music for a project, so it'll be a week or so until I have something.

Played Big Cibyes House. A very cool classic style house level, with huge spacious rooms and that realistic detailing usual of that kind of level from old times

Spoiler

it could be fine also in "earth base" lol

and actually it's a real funny map, anyway i just found these two things can need to be fixed:

- If you jump in this spot, you're trapped. Add something that leave you to get away from there...

- I had a little bit confused when i get the yellow key, something to make you understand to go in the hell sky in the NES room it could be cool.

- this wall needs to be aligned...

TimeOfDeath: please replace the link to my map in the first post with this link: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/5yfYDoDW-D/tspacbas.zip

It's exactly the same map, but now it's at Drdteam site, because I think it's better. (there's also one absolutely unimportant change in the text file)

And by the way: Have anyone else than Walter played the map? :P
btw2: thanks walter :)

Well I didnt post anything on this Forums for a longer time but I just saw I am still on the list for intereseted mappers.

So heres my map, small and ugly but well :D
http://www.mediafire.com/?8b63j5hbcad6m3k

Oh forgot to mention my map should be 100% vanilla compatible but tested with prboom+