Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2012 - Released July 17, durr hurr

ITS JULY LOLOLOLOL

http://www.speedyshare.com/7gXuP/MAYhem2012.zip
The mission of this project is to create a good caliber full sized map pack (Single player, boom compatible) in one month. Im gunning for an early Summer final release.

I'm not going to /idgames this quite yet. Knowing me as well as I do, I probably goofed up something.

Single Player.

Its already been proven that DM megawads can be done in a single day, to say nothing of a single month.

Certainly doable. I can fart out a reasonable SP limit-removing stock-textured map in a couple of evenings.

I would be more interested if there was a new texture pack and some unusual theme progression (not base->base/city->hell). For example, we could make a wad where you travel between planets (and there would be some spaceship maps too), kinda like in Icarus.

@DeathevokatioN: The process is exactly how you imagine it :P

@Memfis: Nice idea, but then we get worryingly close to having to organise things and introduce an element of planning.

yeah, why not?
Another thing is postponed the other projects I'm working on is always good ... especially when you have no ideas!

If I wasn't so far behind with all the other Doom related stuff I am already doing, I would totally do a map for this.

Good luck with this project Mionic. Has plenty of potential to be a good mapset.

Oh goodie, this project seems to have some support. All right, here are a few more specifics.

Boom compatible. Ensure maps are completable from pistol start, and non reliant on jumping, advanced straferunning (ToD!!!), or other bells and whistley features that the average doomer may not utilize.

The CC4 texture pack seems to be readily available, and has a good variety of textures for themes. Is everybody cool with using that? If not, any other alternative ideas?

This will, again, be a Single Player wad set across 32 original maps. There will be four map themes/episodes to select from. Themes will be able to be made with only vanilla textures, usage of the texture pack will be merely cosmetic. The map themes will be announced on May 1st. Ideally this will be evenly spread for a straight up episodic format, (1-6, 7-11, 12-20, 21-30) but given the time constraints, it is all good and will make do with however skewed the theme count is.

Only exceptions are the special maps. (07 15 30 31 32) Those are on a first (qualifying map) provided, first served basis. (Qualifying map means upholds the special properties of the map, and is decent enough to play)

New midi music is welcome. Ensure credit is given where credit is due, et cetera. Preferably no new textures outside of the pack provided.

Open beta/testing. Levels can be posted in this thread. Deadline for maps is 11:59:59 (Eastern because thats the general doom fare) on May 31, 2012. Compilation and maybe new Intermission screens will follow, so shooting for a mid June release.

Thanks for the support!

Cool idea. I'd participate, buuuuuuut I've got other things tying me down ATM. Keeping an eye out for the finished product, though :)

I think CC4tex is too... general. A more specific texture pack would make the wad feel more consistent.

try realm667 or the afterglow here...

also, i played to 2012 demo wad from cannonball and it use a very cool texture pack that uses some cool textures from gothic textures and some random nick baker stuff...

Cool. Searched Realm667, got a more sensible pack. Will announce on May 1st.

Marnetmar said:

I'm considering this, any particular design style in mind or is it mostly free for all?

Mostly free for all. What I'm asking from it:

-Boom Compatible
-Single Player (coop and difficulties highly preferred)
-Pistol Start
-Uses Surprise Texture pack, can uphold map motifs, just for continuities sake.

I feel we are in need of a good scythe style of difficulty this year. If you want something specific, go for that, but all stylings of maps are welcome, as long as they meet the guidelines. The goal of this is 32 maps in 31 days. Do what works best for you.

Wooo - two days to go until the announcements then! I'll be keeping my submission relatively small, as I REALLY should be getting on with a map for a certain vanilla project that's going to rock everybodies socks off.

It's a cool idea of course, and while I do appreciate the enthusiasm for megawad making, this thread, in addition to a lot of other megawad idea threads is lacking in a lot of things. Why don't you just do the work already?

I really think pitching ideas isn't exactly the best way to get a project going. I'd like to see more threads where the opening post has:

-A quick anecdote that summarizes the plot of the megawad
-A preview of the M_DOOM logo, or TITLEPIC (Interception got some nice feedback with this.)
-Some episode names, premeditated themes
-An already made texture resource (It doesn't even have to be a lot of textures, just a few will already give the wad it's own identity. Look at Plutonia or Hell Revealed.)
-Maybe a list of pre-made map names that people can volunteer to make
-A screenshot or two of some WIPs

I don't mean to school you, (I'm probably better off starting an example megawad project instead) It's just a lot of people seem to come off rather silly when they start an idea thread, and thirty posts later, the people that would like the participate don't even have the resources they need.

40oz said:

It's a cool idea of course, and while I do appreciate the enthusiasm for megawad making, this thread, in addition to a lot of other megawad idea threads is lacking in a lot of things. Why don't you just do the work already?

I really think pitching ideas isn't exactly the best way to get a project going. I'd like to see more threads where the opening post has:

-A quick anecdote that summarizes the plot of the megawad
-A preview of the M_DOOM logo, or TITLEPIC (Interception got some nice feedback with this.)
-Some episode names, premeditated themes
-An already made texture resource (It doesn't even have to be a lot of textures, just a few will already give the wad it's own identity. Look at Plutonia or Hell Revealed.)
-Maybe a list of pre-made map names that people can volunteer to make
-A screenshot or two of some WIPs

I don't mean to school you, (I'm probably better off starting an example megawad project instead) It's just a lot of people seem to come off rather silly when they start an idea thread, and thirty posts later, the people that would like the participate don't even have the resources they need.

If not for this being a time sensitive project, that is how I will go about it. Once the project starts and a few maps get in, I will probably update the OP accordingly. Will also keep this in mind for any future projects.

Alright Ladies and Gents. (Do we have ladies here?)
Shows starting.

The four themes are:

Abandoned Outposts
Rocky Laboratories
Metallic Hive
Hellish Descent

Texture pack is the Recolored Doom Texture pack from r667.
http://realm667.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=217&Itemid=

Maps are due on May 31. 3 map limir per participant for now. Can possibly change later.

Happy Mapping!

Updates to OP forthcoming. Updates will likely happen there!

If you have like 40 people interested, you'll likely get things done within a month.

I'll do a map or two - we'll see what I can fit in around my more pressing duties.

I'm somewhat less psyched about things because of the texture pack chosen (NB_RECOL seems really impractical and I'm afraid it would invite really strange color theming). I might still do a one-off with stock textures, though, and at least the set contains a few Doom1-exclusive textures that I can't seem to live without these days. *glares at SKINTEK*

I have to agree with Xaser on the texture pack, but I still will do a level, though all my levels using stock textures tend to result in maps which look like they belong in the 90s, not that it is a bad thing though.