Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > The Ultimate DOOM: No End In Sight - beta 2.0 release
Pages (4): « 1 2 3 [4]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
40oz
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

NICE!

Old Post 11-12-12 12:50 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Evolution

Took me a while to figure out one of the secrets in e1m1... :)
I'll run through the pack and post some demos or a youtube video per episode, because this looks too tasty!

Old Post 11-12-12 13:14 #
Evolution is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NaturalTvventy
Forum Regular

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:
NT, I hear, (about 2 posts up) that you were looking for some skies. Are you still? I have a few you might like to look at.

Also great work on this. :)

Thanks! And certainly, send me what you have! You still have my email, yea?

Evolution said:
Took me a while to figure out one of the secrets in e1m1... :)
I'll run through the pack and post some demos or a youtube video per episode, because this looks too tasty!

I'd love to see 'em for sure. What's your youtube?

Old Post 11-13-12 00:21 #
NaturalTvventy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz

E3M1 was pretty cool. It was very creepy and suspenseful with so few monsters, and the puzzles were great! I really had to think and be extra observant when I was playing which is unusual but at the same time very Doomy. And the two hell barons almost wrecked me!

The puzzles were a little over the top though, it might help to use health bonuses and armor bonuses as markers to indicate where you are supposed to go, especially on easier skill levels. More casual players are gonna need a few hints. Very nicely done though. I'm up to E3M7 and I'm getting whooped.

Old Post 11-30-12 14:48 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Its depressing that the maps Romero suggested apparantly didnt end up in the main project. I found that kind of insulting.

But at least some live on here.

Old Post 12-01-12 02:27 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Ragnor said:
Its depressing that the maps Romero suggested apparantly didnt end up in the main project.

UAC Receiving did. Twice now. :P

Old Post 12-01-12 02:57 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NaturalTvventy
Forum Regular

Ragnor said:
Its depressing that the maps Romero suggested apparantly didnt end up in the main project. I found that kind of insulting.

0_o which ones did he suggest? I can find no such thing in his posts...

40oz said:
E3M1 was pretty cool. It was very creepy and suspenseful with so few monsters, and the puzzles were great! I really had to think and be extra observant when I was playing which is unusual but at the same time very Doomy. And the two hell barons almost wrecked me!

The puzzles were a little over the top though, it might help to use health bonuses and armor bonuses as markers to indicate where you are supposed to go, especially on easier skill levels. More casual players are gonna need a few hints. Very nicely done though. I'm up to E3M7 and I'm getting whooped.

Thanks 40! Hmmm... I'd like to think that the only 'puzzles' the player has to complete to simply beat the level are pretty blatant. The secrets, on the other hand...

I'll see what I can do about lower difficulty levels.

e3m7 is one of my personal favorites :) I did get a bit nasty here and there in it.

Thanks for playing through!

Old Post 12-01-12 03:14 #
NaturalTvventy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

Ragnor said:

IIRC Romero only suggested some map names for inspiration, not actual levels that had been made.

Old Post 12-01-12 09:09 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NaturalTvventy
Forum Regular

purist said:

IIRC Romero only suggested some map names for inspiration, not actual levels that had been made.

Oh right, that! Yes, just his e3 name is MIA from NEIS. Maybe a name change is in order... e3m5 perhaps.

Old Post 12-01-12 09:38 #
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

It was more like if there was one more level in each episode, what would he have made, and he gave pretty detailed descriptions for each. Biosphere for E1, Receiving Station for E2, and Sheol's Spiraling Descent for E3. I know Xaser did the second, but the other two arent in the final release. I found it poor taste to reach out to one of the creators of the game, whose levels are very famous and well-loved, and then fight and squabble over them (Biosphere). Dont know what happened to the E3 one.

Still havent played the completed product due to the bad taste it leaves when I remember it, but I'll get around to it.

Old Post 12-01-12 09:58 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

Ragnor: The E3 one is the one I made. I think it was supposed to be in the "runners up" wad, but that's obviously never getting released.

Old Post 12-01-12 13:03 #
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NightFright

I hope work on this hasn't stopped in the meantime. Wanted to wait for this to be finished first, but since the final version didn't show up, I have started playing it anyway.

After beating the first episode, all I can say is that those are excellent levels, most of them well worthy being in a second DTWiD release. Some passages maybe are a bit too simplistic (right now I remember a few long corridors leading to exit doors with absolutely no decoration - some different texturing in those places might work wonders), and E1M8 is a bit short (but hey, it's a boss map after all).

Main thing is that even with the limited monster cast of Doom 1, you managed to create challanging and fun gameplay - I was quite amused by the slaughter scenes you have to survive in E1M7 and E1M9.

[BTW if you need someone to write nice intermission texts for the episodes, I'd be willing to do it.]

Anyone who hasn't done it yet: Play this beta, it's well worth it as far as I can tell (need to continue with the remaining two episodes today)! :)

Last edited by NightFright on 01-25-13 at 10:04

Old Post 01-25-13 09:47 #
NightFright is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz

I'm not sure if i'd call it a DTWiD thing, but it certainly takes the principles of DTWiD to a new level, which truely makes this wad one of a kind.

Old Post 01-25-13 13:32 #
_bruce_
Doomed Member

Very nice shots - this could be great.

Old Post 01-25-13 15:01 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

The basic procedure for myself always seemed to be "start making a DTWID map, but keep on going when you inevitably break all the rules". :P

Anyhow, it'll be done this year. Can't get any more specific considering that one of the big hold-ups is that I still need to do one more map, but that's something, I guess. :P

Old Post 01-25-13 18:45 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NaturalTvventy
Forum Regular

Thanks for the kind words Nightfright & 40, t'is really nice to hear. As far as the intermission text, I think I'll want to write it myself eventually, but thanks for the offer. If you have further feedback on e2 and 3, don't be shy.

Xaser said:

it'll be done this year.

Maybe. Since a few seem curious, here is a list of the various factors that are influencing when this project will be fully released:

> Xaser's final contribution. Not just any map, but the coveted e4m7 spot! The last map-map before the final last boss map! Can he handle the heat? Is there any hope he might fill such big boots and create a map so amazing and awesome it can be honestly stated worthy of it's slot, surpassing even my fan-farking-tastic e2m7 and e3m7?? TIME SHALL TELL!

> Xaser's half of e4m8, THING placement of e3m4 (unless he likes my 45-second BFG/Trooper/SS job) and various bugfixes in his various maps.

> Chris' final contribution. Chris has taken a year to complete each of his maps (for a total of 2 years thus far). I have recently received an update from him on his last map, in which he informed me he's been able to put an hour of work into it in the last month. RL. He has a vision though. I'm going to wait to see that vision for as long as it takes.

> BTSX ep 3. One of my maps in NEIS e4 is a UDOOM conversion of my BTSX map, which is slated for release with BTSX ep 3. BTSX gets first dibs on it, so I can't release NEIS until BTSX ep 3 is out.

> Difficulty settings. I dunt wanna do em!

So that's the run down. It ain't coming out tomorrow. Enjoy the first three episodes for now, and just think of this wait as parallel to the time between DOOM and UDOOM. I hope you find it worth it in the end.

NT

Old Post 01-26-13 01:53 #