Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

From a few days I'm working on Comptall (I took a break from Tekwall). This version is not finished, there are two identical pieces and color is not perfect. I'm afraid that I exaggerated with the space between particular components.

Reinchard666 said:

I'm afraid that I exaggerated with the space between particular components.

Perhaps you should look at the normal maps of Doom 3's computer textures. They actually have some textures in there that are based on COMPTALL.

Sodaholic said:

Perhaps you should look at the normal maps of Doom 3's computer textures. They actually have some textures in there that are based on COMPTALL.

Yes, I know, Doom3 version is called "cpupanel", is little modified, and in very low resolution.

Scypek2 - only textures for now.

I think the contrast might be too high. I'd also keep the grime texture you've added to the gray backdrop much more subtle, given that the original texture is just a solid color there.

I just wanted the point out the lower right corner has a panel with some numbers on it "50 99 35 500" that part of the texture looks like some early tacky Star Wars computer panel.

Looks fine to me. And I agree that this looks a lot better than the last one. As a complement :)

You did a different version of this before, correct? I don't remember, but I'm willing to bet that I like this one infinitely more! only thing I'd do differently is having the circuitboard parts have different arrangement instead of exactly the same.

Are you going to keep the polygon meshes for these textures? It'd be pretty cool to keep around if any ports were to ever have normal map support. Not sure how you'd handle the lighting of them in sector based lighting, though...

Reinchard666 said:

Yes, I know, Doom3 version is called "cpupanel", is little modified, and in very low resolution.

I know it's low res, but I meant that you could use it as a reference for how deep the space between components should be.

Sodaholic said:

Are you going to keep the polygon meshes for these textures? It'd be pretty cool to keep around if any ports were to ever have normal map support. Not sure how you'd handle the lighting of them in sector based lighting, though...

I know it's low res, but I meant that you could use it as a reference for how deep the space between components should be.

We could also use the for Doom 3 maps and possibly even Doom 4.

Of course, I keep the files on disk, they may be useful someday for making bigger versions and normal/displacement maps. I don't quite understand what "last version" you're talking about. Maybe you think about my version of Compute texture?

Little update of Comptall. I'm make new tech-mess panel, increase size of rivets (maybe I should use a smaller ones) and do little work on metal texture.

Reinchard666 said:

COMPTALL

On the top right panel, Access is incorrectly spelt as Acces.
Just nitpicking.

Fixed. Here is final version. I took care that the individual components are correctly positioned on the X axis, because previous version looks strange st some corners.

I know that this is going to sound ridiculous in the context of Doom but anything that stands up out of the carpet would constitute a tripping hazard and be unlikely on the floor of an office (or whatever).

The first one looks the closest to the original but the second is the most realistic. Would it be possible to have something as distinct as #1 but without looking like something that was sitting on top of the carpet (like a heat-pressed-on logo that is flush with the carpet surface... or something)? The original gives no indication that the logo is sticking up above the carpet (though that could just be a function of it not having enough pixels to show the detail).

Now, if we could get the UAC to do something about all those unguarded pools of nuclear waste and walkways without handrails that they fill their bases with, the UAC would have a safer, happier workforce.

The COMPTALL texture looks great in the screenshots BTW.

Yeah, the second one is the best imo. Keep in mind that some people often also use that texture in places that are NOT offices. Maybe you could experiment with materials that would fit both environments. The same goes for all the other textures. I think that because the original textures are low res, they can be interpreted in different ways - it is not always clear what they are (which gives them a lot of charm). When you remake a texture and add more detail, it is much more evident what they are "supposed" to be.

Also, if want more inspiration for extra detail for your remakes, I suggest you take a look at the Doom 3 textures. Now I am no artist myself, but I personally see a large part Doom 3's textures an evolution of the classic Id Software style. What do you think?

Second image looks a little too blurred.

Perhaps try taking the third one, remove the shadow as well as the shine from the logo and smooth out the outline of the shapes just a little so it's not so sharp. This way it blends better and just might be a little more convincing as a carpet? Don't smooth it out too much, otherwise you'll end up with result two again.

My two cents.

From the carpets I've seen IRL with embedded images, they usually simply have a slightly different hue to the logo/image embedded into the carpet (or are a complimentary color to the surrounding carpet). I agree that it shouldn't look like it's sticking up from the floor.

Oh, this appear when I move panels on the X axis. Its fixed for now. Thanks guys for interesting opinions. I agree with most of you. Logo shouldn't stand up from the carpet. I had a little problems with the correct embossing, but for now I experiment with two versions:

Version 1

Version 2 (with different texture for logo, more evenly like that thing from original)

DooM_RO - I often look at Doom3 textures, especially now that I play often in BFG edition. I know that Kevin Cloud was the main artist responsible for textures and I think his textures have good Doom feeling, but they fit perfect for new engine. In D3 there are no more solid walls in like in classic Doom, every wall have few segments and models put in to them, so the game art must be different from classic Doom. As you see he don't recreate any of old textures, probably because he know the old textures will not fit to new Doom. So I don't think that D3 textures can feet to old Doom. But this textures can be good inspiration in some cases.

I thought that the lites were more yellow than orange :/ Also, they don't look really bright enough...maybe make center white and then gradient out?

I think the outer part of the circle may be brighter but the centre isn't (I don't think). The overall colour is too orangey though - particularly at the outer part again. The original is a tan-ish sort of colour

Thanks, I'll be back to light texture in this week. Today I tried make Sladwall. The most similar version that I was able to get:

Here next to the original: