Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

Just my opinion, but I think it's a little too green. I'd reduce the saturation a tiny bit, but not by a lot.

At Reinchard_666. You are right but I was referring to only about 25% of the textures. For instance look at these:

http://media.map-factory.org/screenshot/640x480/alpha-labs-sector-6-6400.jpg

http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetdoom.gamespy.com/walkthroughs/alpha4_3.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/y90LWmEiCqg/0.jpg (the ones on the left and right)

I think these give a very Doom like vibe, what do you think? Oh, I have an idea! Would it be possible to modify to these textures so that they will look good along side the classic Doom textures? This would give mappers a great deal of resources.

Sladwall looks nicer now. The sladrip liquid flow seems a bit too bright compared to the nukage flat.

I wonder how SLADRIP (or any other animated textures, for that matter) is gonna look with three-frame animation while the texture is this hi res.

Thanks. I still experiment with tlite. What do you think about something like this?

This one still need lots of work, but this is only proposal.

I think that there is a danger in adding detail that there is no evidence for in the original texture. I doubt that many people will have assumed that there were "frames" of that shape around the lights and that may make the flat look out of place in some maps.

Also, I don't like the pink/magenta effect on the "frames".

Enjay said:

Seconded. Get rid of that I think the metal might be alright.

Enjay said:

I think that there is a danger in adding detail that there is no evidence for in the original texture. I doubt that many people will have assumed that there were "frames" of that shape around the lights and that may make the flat look out of place in some maps.

I think this particular texture needs extra detail, it would look dull in HD without it. Also, there is no need for evidence, if Id had made these textures in 2012, I am almost certain they would have added more detail for reasons stated above. Just look at the Doom 3 version of this texture, it looks great.

DooM_RO said:

I think this particular texture needs extra detail, it would look dull in HD without it./B]

Well, yes, extra detail certainly otherwise the texture could just be sized up and look awful. Added grainyness of the background etc need to be there.

DooM_RO said:

Also, there is no need for evidence, if Id had made these textures in 2012, I am almost certain they would have added more detail for reasons stated above. Just look at the Doom 3 version of this texture, it looks great.

I think there is a need. However, evidence can be slight. eg these are round lights sunk into the ceiling so it makes sense for them to have a metal border around them. There is no evidence that there is a metal border in the original texture but adding one doesn't take away from the flexibility of the texture. I would argue, however that adding those 4 "lugs" on to the metal adds detail that there is no evidence for and changes the feel of the texture - and (more importantly) the shape of the lights.

I hear what you say about "if the textures were made today" and it makes sense. However, the textures were not made today and for the last 2 decades, people have been using them in their maps. If you change the texture too much, you may start to make it not look good in those maps where the original texture was used in ways where the appearance of it was critical. Given that one of the primary functions of a HR texture pack is to replace the texture in old maps with new compatible ones, this would seem to be ill advised.

If the texture was being made for the first time and hadn't already appeared in any maps then, fine, add details, change colours, whatever. If you are trying to make a texture as compatible as possible with older maps, then don't do that. In fact, doing just that underpins one of the most common criticisms of the existing HR packs - that they don't look like/don't have the same feel/are the wrong colour/etc/etc compared to the originals.

Well, I don't think you can avoid adding detail to texture remakes because, as I said, they would actually be uglier than the original.

I think this particular texture, though very simple, looks good and has its charm BECAUSE you can see the pixels, when remaking it, the texture loses this property so it has to be interpreted in a new way but as you said, it should be done in a way that not only looks good in the official Id maps but also on the countless user maps.

Maybe you could add a few cracks or bloodstains? Exposed circuitry? What about a very subtle hexagon pattern? Also what Vermil said.

They look much better IMO. I'm not sure which one I like the most but I think #2 might be the closest to the original colour-wise.

I like the fourth one the most. The brown metal looks a bit strange though but that could be just me.