Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > adding wads to zdoom or gzdoom

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:45. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thx134
Warming Up

i'd like to play all these awesome wads,but i'm running zdoom and gzdoom and i'm having trouble installing the wads. mainly because i don't know how to do it and doom wiki isn't helping can someone please better explain how to install wads to zdoom and gzdoom?

Old Post 06-13-12 01:03 #
thx134 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_...cution_of_ZDoom

Old Post 06-13-12 01:07 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
thx134
Warming Up

yes i know but i just can't any info from that maybe if you can explain it in lament's terms.

Old Post 06-13-12 23:21 #
thx134 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

drag and drop the wad onto zdoom/gzdoom

Old Post 06-13-12 23:29 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

thx134 said:
explain it in lament's terms.

A lament in free verse:

alas, how sad is it,
the woe of the frontend, the plight of the right-click,
no dragging and dropping anymore to start a modded play,
information overload makes the wiki confusing.

what is a newb to do?
those who know do not get it,
blind as they are to the doc's weaknesses,
they read between the lines and see what is not plain.

no matter how simple the task might be,
the timid soul, afraid of messing up,
stays wary of the manual
-- far too impersonal --
and looks for a helping hand,
to walk him down the lane.

is understanding possible?
when something is too simple for one to explain,
yet too complicated for the other to grasp?
if poetry fails, all hope is lost.

Old Post 06-13-12 23:54 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

haha

Old Post 06-14-12 01:41 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
thx134
Warming Up

i tried dragging and droppin already. am i supposed to have everything in a specific folder?

Old Post 06-19-12 00:42 #
Edward850

If you tried it already, and it didn't work, then you are doing something wrong. Make sure you are dropping the .wad or .pk3 into (g)zdoom.exe.
No, you don't need everything in the same folder. As long as it is capable of finding the IWADs on its own (steam folders or its own folder), then it should work.

Last edited by Edward850 on 06-19-12 at 01:08

Old Post 06-19-12 01:01 #
Edward850 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

You are all making a lot of assumptions here, including but not limited to:

• That he actually has the IWADs to begin with, legally or otherwise.
  • That he understands the concept of "folder", "folder path visibility" and "manual installation".
  • For all we know, he could be trying to run the .exe from a .zip file, and/or dragging PWADs on the zip file itself.

Granted, I understand that in this day and age it may appear shocking that there are things that don't "just work", e.g. IWAD locations are not automatically detected by all source ports, but unless source ports start being shipped with "for dummies" wrappers, this ain't gonna change and we're gonna get such posts time and again.

Granted, 95% of Doomers seem to "get it" on their own and are probably "up' n' doomin'" in less than 10 minutes after unzipping their source port of choice, but that remaining 5% is gonna need a LOT more help.

A launcher makes things easier, but even setting one up requires a pretty good understanding of the above concepts.

The only solution would be for source ports to start being shipped with "for dummies" installers, using some commonly agreed-upon canaries (e.g. create community-accepted Windows registry entries for IWAD locations that all "dummy compliant" source ports can look up, plus a tool to actually set them, possibly integrated with the Steam version). The good, old method of unzip + run is apparently too oldskool, hardcore and 1337 for the CoD youth.

Old Post 06-19-12 12:03 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

Most actively developed source ports already do support things like the DOOMWADDIR and DOOMWADPATH environment paths and some even check the default Steam install directory.

Doomsday's frontend also features an install wizard which guides you through the process of locating your IWADs.

Old Post 06-19-12 14:54 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ellmo
Custom Title

Do your ZDoom and GZDoom work when you simply run them by themselves?

Old Post 06-19-12 15:24 #
ellmo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

thx134 said:
i tried dragging and droppin already. am i supposed to have everything in a specific folder?

You should have the following files in the same folder:
  • zdoom.exe (or gzdoom.exe)
  • zdoom.pk3 (or gzdoom.pk3)
  • fmodex.dll

Those are the bare minimum. Note that Windows, by default, hides file extensions, so you might just see "zdoom", "zdoom.pk3", and "fmodex". It might be a good idea to show file extensions first. Here is how you can do it on Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

These three files are the bare minimum and they should be together.

Now you need IWADs. If you have bought The Ultimate Doom or Doom II on Steam, make sure they actually are downloaded on your computer. ZDoom will find them automatically.

If you did not get these games from Steam, you need to retrieve the IWADs. For The Ultimate Doom it is doom.wad; and for Doom II it is doom2.wad. There are also other IWADs you can use, see Doom Wiki or ZDoom Wiki for further information.

If you do not see a doom.wad or doom2.wad file in the folder where you have placed your Doom games, make sure the game is properly installed. You might need to run install.exe in DOSBox. If that seems too complicated, download Freedoom.

You should then have zdoom.exe, zdoom.pk3, fmodex.dll, and doom2.wad, all in the same directory. Double-click on zdoom.exe: the game should start. It will create a zdoom-<username>.ini file in the same folder, where the game will store the changes you make to the configuration (for example, if you change the key bindings). Once you have that file, you can edit it to change the paths in which the IWADs are sought, so you no longer need to have the IWADs in the same folder if so you want.

If the game started correctly, you can try the next test. Choose a mod you want to play, verify it is for the same IWAD (don't try a Heretic, Hexen, Ultimate Doom, Strife, etc. mod for Doom II), and drag-and-drop that file onto zdoom.exe. The game should start with the mod.

Old Post 06-19-12 15:32 #
Maes
I like big butts!

DaniJ said:
stuff about most actively developed ports

ZDoom and most other source ports support nothing more than DOOMWADDIR, whose existence is also quite a big assumption to make.

Doomsday might be much more advanced than that, but the problem is that it's seldom going to be the #1 port of choice for a newbie: most of these posts mention prBoom+ and ZDoom, and for a reason.

Old Post 06-19-12 18:02 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Maes said:
ZDoom and most other source ports support nothing more than DOOMWADDIR, whose existence is also quite a big assumption to make.

ZDoom looks into the Steam folders too. By default, the IWADSearch paths include DOOMWADDIR (if defined), the current working directory, the user's home directory, and ZDoom's own installation directory; in addition to Steam.

Chocolate Doom does look for Steam IWADS as well; and Quasar once said he has some code to do so as well that he might one day remember to plug in Eternity.

Old Post 06-19-12 18:09 #
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Maes said:
Doomsday might be much more advanced than that, but the problem is that it's seldom going to be the #1 port of choice for a newbie: most of these posts mention prBoom+ and ZDoom, and for a reason.
Lots of people start off with Doomsday.

Old Post 06-19-12 21:28 #
Vermil

Lot's of people start with/prefer/continue to use etc etc Port X

Let's not go down that road again...

Old Post 06-19-12 22:03 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl

... and most of them never get beyond the IWADs.

Old Post 06-19-12 22:03 #
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
thx134
Warming Up

thanks guys you really helped now i can play all the doom wads that i download turned out all i had to do is go over to my wad of choice right click hit copy then right click on (g)zdoom and hit paste then the program would start up ask me which wad i wanted to use depending on if it was for doom1 or 2. after i make my selction it would start the custom wad file. so thanks for the help.

Old Post 06-20-12 06:06 #
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

That works? Holy crap. That's a much easier way to load multiple wads. Thanks thx134.

Old Post 06-20-12 07:14 #
thx134
Warming Up

im not sure it'll work like that but i'll give it a try

Old Post 06-23-12 01:35 #