Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Best WADs to have never won a Cacoward
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fullmetalvaran33

d@ngib5on said:
I had thought of several others getting read for sleep, but fullmetalavaran got some of them (I'm really surprised he/she caught Hell on Mars because I was going to bring it up and it received near zero attention or even recognition)!

I'm just as surprised as you are about the lack of attention Hell on Mars got. I believe it's everything that Knee Deep in ZDoom wanted to be. The only problem with Hell on Mars was, in my opinion, that it was too short.

Old Post 06-14-12 21:19 #
fullmetalvaran33 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
savagegrant

I'm past halfway with adding more info to the list. I've now included multiplayer WADs in the list and added an author field.

Old Post 06-15-12 05:24 #
savagegrant is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Not mentioned above in this thread
Cleimos II for 1995
Realm of Shades for 1998
City of Doom, even in its beta/ unfinished state, for 2000. Check out MAP05!!

Old Post 06-15-12 10:53 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
T-Rex

Some wads I felt deserved a Cacoward, but didn't.

1994 - The Interdiction Zone by Jim Flynn.
1995 - Bf_thud! by Chris Klie, and The Raven Episode by Tim Willits and Theresa Chasar.
1996 - Diabolos, Pazuzu, and Odyssey, all by Unreal mapper Elliot Cannon.
1997 - Soldier of Fortune by Lisa Moore.
1998 - Dead Perfect by Yonatan Donner, and The Call of Ktulu by Rudy Jurjako.
1999 - Pax by Ty Halderman, and Vengeance by Paul Fleschute.
2000 - Vrack by Fredrik Johannson. How could the first one have been overlooked?
2001 - Castle Of Eternal Carrot In The Sky by Fredrik Johannson, and Trust by Tommie Quick.
2002 - One Bloody Night by Erik Alm.
2003 - Vrack 3 by Fredrik Johannson.
2004 - Hollow Minds by Kristian Aro.
2005 - ToxicHole and The Cursed Generation by Kaiser. They would have been great on Plutonia 2 as originally intended.
2006 - Zero Tolerance by Dutch Devil.
2009 - Scythe X by Erik Alm, even if it's only the first two episodes. Hope to see it as a full 32-level megawad eventually.
2011 - Deimos: Slight Return by Rex Claussen, Doom Core by Michael Jan Krizk, and Riot Control by Dutch Devil.

Last edited by T-Rex on 06-15-12 at 14:27

Old Post 06-15-12 13:46 #
T-Rex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
d@ngib5on
Loser

That Vengeance is pretty overlooked. It's on the easy,side, but quite good.

In fact I'd say Fleschute is overlooked in general, since he made another decent UDoom megawad Invasion, a Doom II sequel Invasion II that shamefully was left somewhat incomplete, and I think he also did a real nice single level at the end.of his career (I can't remember its name but think Vengeance was in the name).

Last edited by d@ngib5on on 06-15-12 at 16:44

Old Post 06-15-12 16:32 #
d@ngib5on is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
T-Rex

d@ngib5on said:
That Vengeance is pretty overlooked. It's on the easy,side, but quite good.

In fact I'd say Fleschute is overlooked in general, since he made another decent UDoom megawad Invasion, a Doom II sequel Invasion II that shamefully was left somewhat incomplete, and I think he also did a real nice single level at the end.of his career (I can't remember its name but think Vengeance was in the name).

You mean this? Vengeance: Skybase Sirius IV

Yeah, that was Paul Fleschute's last single-player map. His very last offering to the Doom community was a map he made for the Boom DM megawad Surge 2. The Invasion megawads were decent, but it's a shame that Ultimate Invasion, a TC which is meant to be a reboot of the first two Invasions, never saw the light of day. Paul Fleschute is one of my favourite mappers, and Vengeance was probably the only good full 4-episode Ultimate Doom megawad right next to 2002ADO.

Old Post 06-16-12 07:26 #
T-Rex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
savagegrant

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I've finally finished fleshing out the Cacoward winners, runner-up & honourable mentions list. Next I will do the same with a list of all the recommendations.

By the way, do you think I should include the Mockaward winners in the list?

Old Post 06-17-12 19:40 #
savagegrant is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gatling
Warming Up

Phobus said:
Somebody should sticky the first post in this thread as the definitive response to "What are the best Doom wads?" - a question we get every other week, it seems. A true win would be if it had links to /idgames archive downloads and said what port and IWAD it was for though ;)

That's way too many wads for anyone who's looking for 'the best Doom wads'. That's a list of wads you would recommend to somebody who has played over a dozen megawads, but that person would most likely be familiar with the cacowards.

Old Post 06-18-12 02:57 #
Gatling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
T-Rex

I forgot to mention that with Paul Fleschute's Vengeance: Skybase Sirius IV, he was going to make a full 32-level megawad for Boom back in 1999, but it was another cancelled project like his remake of Invasion.

Old Post 06-18-12 04:05 #
savagegrant

Phobus said:

Somebody should sticky the first post in this thread as the definitive response to "What are the best Doom wads?" - a question we get every other week, it seems. A true win would be if it had links to /idgames archive downloads and said what port and IWAD it was for though ;)

Gatling said:

That's way too many wads for anyone who's looking for 'the best Doom wads'. That's a list of wads you would recommend to somebody who has played over a dozen megawads, but that person would most likely be familiar with the cacowards.

Yeah, maybe we could have a Cacowards ceremony for the previous Cacoward winners to narrow the list down. Like a Cacowards Hall of Fame. lol. That or we can put all these WADs to the vote right here? heh

Old Post 06-18-12 11:49 #
Chex Warrior

vdgg said:
Cleimos II for 1995

Absolutely.

Old Post 06-18-12 13:36 #
Chex Warrior is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Scuba Steve

Vader's Blackrock. It was included in the ZDoom Community Map Project. ZDCMP was pretty bad save for several maps... and Blackrock was one of them. It never won an award because I wasn't going to award one map from a megawad. His other map, Thunderpeak, won an award because it was released separately... but Blackrock was only to be found in ZDCMP. A damn shame.

Old Post 06-18-12 13:59 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Scuba Steve said:
Vader's Blackrock. It was included in the ZDoom Community Map Project. ZDCMP was pretty bad save for several maps...

ZPack. ZDCMP was a single map made by several people and got an award. ZPack was 30 maps and got a bit of a backlash against it, though it wasn't that bad, IMO.

Old Post 06-18-12 14:02 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gatling
Warming Up

savagegrant said:

Yeah, maybe we could have a Cacowards ceremony for the previous Cacoward winners to narrow the list down. Like a Cacowards Hall of Fame. lol. That or we can put all these WADs to the vote right here? heh

yes please. I'll come back in a couple years to see if doomworld will compile a Cacowards Hall of Fame for the 20th anniversity of Doom. There will have been over 200 wads selected for Cacowards by that time!

Old Post 06-18-12 16:34 #
Gatling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

I think it'd be better for the 20th anniversary if awards were given to wads that were overlooked by the Cacowards or The Top 100 (like the stuff mentioned in this thread).

Old Post 06-18-12 16:41 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

rrward02
skepland
voodoo guns

Last edited by Memfis on 06-19-12 at 00:33

Old Post 06-18-12 17:45 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Holyhell is nice. It was supposed to be a parody of dv or something. If it's true, then it kind of failed, because I like it more than dv, especially from gameplay perspective.

Old Post 06-18-12 19:25 #
j4rio is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Scuba Steve

Ah yes, ZPack... my mistake.

And for 20 years... it needs to be something better. I've been thinking of something to do for the last year now and have some ideas.

Old Post 06-19-12 00:00 #
Scuba Steve is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

I thought there was that webpage up that was teasing at something being done for Doom's 20th. Or was that just a wad people were going to make?

Old Post 06-19-12 00:13 #
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Processingcontrol

Well there's this and this, but both seem to be dead now (hopefully not because the first one looked like it could be a really awesome project).

Old Post 06-19-12 01:04 #
Processingcontrol is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Capellan
Forum Regular

savagegrant said:
Alien Vendetta | Martin Aalen Hunsager | 2002 | Doom II | Vanilla

This should be "Various authors". For some reason, Martin's name is listed in the Author field on idgames, but a check of the text file shows this is incorrect.

Old Post 06-19-12 05:58 #
Capellan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Snakes

Processingcontrol said:
Well there's this and this, but both seem to be dead now (hopefully not because the first one looked like it could be a really awesome project).

I forgot how awesome Exl's screens in the first project were. Exl, if you're out there, sally forth!

Old Post 06-19-12 06:19 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
savagegrant

Thanks for the correction Capellan. It's fixed now. I've been reading all the .txt files to make sure that the information in the list is correct. I must have been having a brain fart when I did that entry. hehe

I have decided to add the Mockawards and Best Gameplay Mod award. They have been noted as such in the list. I've also added some honourable mentions from the 2006, 2010 & 2011 Cacos that I've overlooked. :)

Old Post 06-19-12 11:20 #
savagegrant

I've started compiling the list of member recommendations. So far it features WADs mentioned by Snakes, lupinx-Kassman, Xaser, dew, fraggle, Gez, kmxexii, scalliano, darkreaver, d@ngib5on, Not Jabba and jute. More to come!

(List has been moved to the first post of the thread)

Last edited by savagegrant on 06-24-12 at 19:44

Old Post 06-20-12 20:36 #
Processingcontrol

Here's some more you can add:

Oracle

Community Chest (1)

Old Post 06-20-12 21:00 #
dew
experts

savagegrant: 32in24-4 is CTF and therefore requires C/S ports. 32in24diet is a regular SP wad. :)

Old Post 06-20-12 21:43 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
darkreaver

Skepland

"An attempt to create difficult, non-linear maps in the plutonia visual style, without going the slaughterfest route."

Old Post 06-20-12 22:03 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
pcorf

Endgame.wad but that was released before the first Cacowards in 2004. One of the best and most underrated wads of all time.

Old Post 06-21-12 05:37 #
pcorf is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
savagegrant

Nice spots there dew, thanks. Those list entries have been fixed now. :)

Old Post 06-21-12 09:01 #
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Insertion has many authors, not just David Shaw (Tolwyn)

Old Post 06-21-12 20:55 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote