Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTrop

Coffee Break Episode 1 - RELEASED

Played through. Good maps. Looks good and flows good, but they were too underwhelming and easy for my taste.

Good job.

New version! Beta 3.

Fixed some texture misalignments and teleport linedef types for monsters. Also found some monster overlapping on Easy in MAP06.

Hopefully, this is the last version before music and other stuff gets added.

Download here: cafebrk1_beta3.zip

BETA3MAP1: i think that removing the first Demon completely wasn't necessary, i was thinking about moving him simply farther from the first door. I think that he can make player move faster to the middle of the yard, to fight enemies on the right platform.
BETA3MAP3: The red key fight is much better now.
BETA3MAP7: Major fights are more intense now, but i also feel that they've become more random, less controllable.
BETA3MAP8: Area with berserk and arch-vile (keys area) has too many health items scattered around. In fact, you went over the top with all the medikits on the map, plus two berserks (100 hp each) and soul sphere secret (another hundred hp).
BETA3MAP9: Again, two stimpacks at the start, and then two medikits on top of stairs in front of the spawn room. That's too much, considering that the first fight is not hard. Blocking the player in the room with BFG worked really well.
BETA3MAP11: Yes, final battle is now much more solid, i think we hit the spot here.

Beat Beta 2 (I believe) on UV - the cyberdemon never made it that far for me, as I had so much ammo I just took him out in the main arena the first time around. Solid experience overall, just with tons of ammo on a continuous play. I imagine things are a lot tighter on pistol starts. Good stuff :)

Phobus said:

Beat Beta 2 (I believe) on UV - the cyberdemon never made it that far for me, as I had so much ammo I just took him out in the main arena the first time around. Solid experience overall, just with tons of ammo on a continuous play. I imagine things are a lot tighter on pistol starts. Good stuff :)

I wonder if I should do something extra in the last area in case that happens - like some kind of switch hunt or whatever just in case the cyberdemon bites it before the end. Something has to make the player fight the monsters at the end.

I picked them off mostly from the doorway because NO SCUM SHALL SURVIVE MY WRATH!

So, I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding music that would fit the maps, so I'm curious - how do people feel if I don't replace any of the Doom 2 music? Or does anybody have any suggestions in mind?

I played this episode with reqmus.wad (Requiem soundtrack) and I thought it was very fitting, with the exception of dramatic D_BETWEE maybe.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u00i73k8w1cllw8

here's a FDA demopack. first 3 maps are played on version 2. there's a special quirk to my demos - i used complevel 11, because you said your wad is MBF-compatible. the result is quite entertaining - monsters are much more dangerous and it plays like half-way through between UV and UV-fast when fighting groups. i think you will have to play it back in pr+ (latest), because i'm not sure which other ports support MBF compat.

not much to nitpick at, tbh. i think map 08 and 09 were a bit too difficult to navigate. hit a switch and something happens somewhere, go search where. you'll see my confusion if you watch the demos. :) also i thought the cybie fence maze in map11 was rather dickish, i mean the revs risen from the ground. it could've been the exotic complevel i used (monsters being more angry) or just me being unlucky, but when i died ther, i was swearing loudly. :P the start of map11 is hilariously hard when monsters help each other, but i enjoyed that.

Okay, I think I'm pretty much finished. I replaced the music, but I didn't replace the demos.

Link to idGames release coming soon!

I'm having an issue with getting the secret in map 04. It is next to the red key. Other than that, I am enjoying this wad.

Nevermind, I found the secret.

Played it. It's really freakin' good. Had seen it on the latest files for a bit and didn't want to play. But I saw this post and saw the images posted. I really thought it was good. I think the title just put me off - I thought it would be a joke WAD