Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest 4 (PUBLIC BETA PERIOD OVER!)

It is my understanding that beta 3 is the last beta before release, so I went over some maps ...

map 08 ...

Wrong ceiling flat for sector 672 - should be FLA5_4T.

map 14 ...

1.For ports that use mouselook, there is a nasty "slime" texture on lines 4865 and 5703 when looking up from sector 1275.

2. GZDoom erroneously flood-fills sector 2362.

I would like to add, while there does exist a number of issues with this map in Risen3D v2.2.15, the next version of Risen3D will render map 14 100% perfect, even without the "slime".

map 18 ...

1. Line 748 needs the lower texture changed to SPACEW6.

2. There are minor issues with sectors 755 and 1329 when opened. To fix ...

Sector 1329

a. Delete lines 6690 and 6691.
b. Now assign lines 9239, 9244 and 9242 to sector 1327.
c. Give control sector 1330 the ceiling height of -184.
d. Change the floor flat of sector 1329 to CEIL5_M.

Sector 755

a. Change floor flat to GROUND03.
b. Change ceiling flat to BRIKZD2.
c. Give control sector 869 the ceiling height of -152

map 20 ...

1. While mentioned before, when looking up at the sky ceiling "black" will be seen. This is caused by not using F_SKY1 for both the floor and ceiling.

2. The texture on line 12001 can still be seen if the player is at sector 1487.

hawkwind said:

It is my understanding that beta 3 is the last beta before release

Incorrect. Beta Version 4 will be released today, and will be the last beta before the WAD's release on Friday. Thank you, though, for the reports; I have done as you suggested.

And here it is: the final Public Beta of Community Chest 4.

http://www.speedyshare.com/V2cy4/cc4pbet4.zip

It features everything listed in the changelog up to August 13, 2012, which includes updates of "The Forgotten Base," "Shaman's Device," and "Spiritual Holocaust" by their authors! If you find any bugs or concerns in this version, be sure to report them ASAP, because on August 17, 2012, the final version of the WAD will be released! From that point on, there will be no more updates!

Have fun, and stay sharp!

Final report for cc4 beta 4 ...

map 29 ...

Sector 190 should not do damage.

map 24 ...

Issue I reported with line 640 is still present. Repeated here ...

1. MIDFENC1 bleeds into the floor at ( or near ) vertex 1979 and 1995 in prboom+ software. Caused by Y offsets.
2. MIDFENC1 at line 640 bleeds into the floor in software. Does not render in hardware. Just needs a Y offset fix, or lower unpeg the line and remove Y offsets and maybe an X alignment.

map 22 ...

Nukage at sector 246 does 20% damage but at sector 190 does 5%.

map 20 ...

Remove texture from line 12001, as it can be seen from sector 1487.

map 18 ...

Sector 1312 should have a sky ceiling.

I cannot seem to get out of the starting area of MAP21. Pressed and shot everywhere and nothing happens and there is a teleporter that is too low in height. Maybe there is a 5 minute wait or something? .... once I noclipped I found myself in this most amazing, twisted and ultra futuristic map. Perhaps there is a switch in the starting area that I never even realized.

hawkwind said:

map 18 ...

Sector 1312 should have a sky ceiling.

The problem is more serious. It is a fake sector issue. If you go into fly mode with either gzdoom or Risen3d the error becomes apparent. The error is caused by having tag 62 at sector 1312. Deleting the tag at sector 1312 fixes the issue ( not a sky issue at all ) and renders the area as intended.

... If I get time I'll look into other issues ...

======================================================

map 20 improvement suggestions ...

1. Drag vertex 12615 south, so that line 7515 lines up with line 7506.

2. Change the floor height of sector 1429 to match sector 1448 - then fill in the now missing lower textures.

3. Note the difference in the texture KS_SINL2 to KS_SINS2 ( and also the green variant ) The smaller appears like a higher frequency wavelength. Why not have it scrolling twice as fast ?

map 21 improvement suggestion ...

The texture KS_BSWI2 does not have a mirror patch texture. As such, when line 12341 is activated, only one side of the "blue key" is rendered on line 12341. Can one be made on short notice ?

Just two things to clarify for my two maps:

Map19- Technoprison: This map can be easily completed in co-op; when a player goes through the 'lasergate' at the start of the map, it kills one player (I think via crusher), but does not affect other players. The 'lasergate' only works once, so there should be extra bars to stop other players from exiting early if the 'lasergate' stops working. Have the bars the same sector tag as the lasergate so it lowers the same time. Hope this won't cause too much fuss to fix.

Map30- IOS can be easily killed via mouselook. Adding bars or something on both sides without affecting the monster spawner line of sight (I think?) would be good, so there is only one way to kill IOS as intended.

Torn, in the CC4 status update thread, said:

Hello, it seems like alot of people disliked my level and I can't say I feel like fixing the bugs atm. So feel free to remove it.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned I liked your map, it offered quite a variety of classic, solid Hell themes, and reminded me of Doom's third episode despite the use of recolored textures.
Also, the eerie Blood midi is a nice contrast with the "Nintendo music" that many of us used. :p

Joshy said:

Just two things to clarify for my two maps:

Map19- Technoprison: This map can be easily completed in co-op; when a player goes through the 'lasergate' at the start of the map, it kills one player (I think via crusher), but does not affect other players. The 'lasergate' only works once, so there should be extra bars to stop other players from exiting early if the 'lasergate' stops working. Have the bars the same sector tag as the lasergate so it lowers the same time. Hope this won't cause too much fuss to fix.

Map30- IOS can be easily killed via mouselook. Adding bars or something on both sides without affecting the monster spawner line of sight (I think?) would be good, so there is only one way to kill IOS as intended.

That reminds me, I forgot to add edits I made to these levels to the changelog. I have added them now.

map 27 - one last request

There is a sector that requires an AV jump to eventually
gain a secret. The same secret sector can be gained with -nomonsters via a different route. Why not, when playing with monsters, have both routes to reach the secret ? Just remove the action/type and tag from 9092 and tag from sector 1432.

Map 29 has already done similar.

MAP27

The Megasphere secret needs to be changed back to shootable because there are 2 ways you can obtain it. Firstly you need to be shooting the Imps in alignment of the switch which could make stray bullets hit it and secondly you can make the Arch Vile flame/explosion jump you up on to the platform where you can fire straight into the switch opening the door with the megasphere.

Or just remove the switch and make it so you can open the secret door to the Megasphere normally (S1 Door open or D1 Door open, etc). But change the door texture so it blends into the surrounding walls.

pcorf said:

MAP27The Megasphere secret needs to be changed back to shootable

I disagree. That just makes the secret way too easy to get with ports that support mouselook.

Memfis said:

Using "real" mouselook in this megawad is cheating so who cares?

I do. As I'm sure do many others. This is made for advanced Boom compatible ports, not vanilla doom2.exe. AFAIK the only one that does not use mouselook is prboom+ software. So since most do ...

Also, where in cc4bet4.txt does it say that mouselook is cheating ?

Probably the same place where it says jumping is cheating.

Hint: it doesn't. It should be common sense using a different ruleset than what is intended means having to deal with inconsistencies.

You can get all huffy puffy about semantics, but by your own admission mouselook makes a secret significantly easier to get.

As promised, Community Chest 4 has been released today! You may check out the new thread here!

As the public beta period is now over, this thread is now closed. Thank you all for participating!