Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Green Herring

Community Chest 4 (NEW HOTFIX NOW ON IDGAMES/!)

Just making this post to note that the hotfixed version of the second release is now available on almost all idgames/ mirrors. The exceptions as of this writing are the Texas mirror, and possibly the Russian mirror (I say "possibly" because I can't connect to it right now). You can use the other mirrors to download the WAD without a cinch!

Started this up today. Love the texture pack; fun levels so far and I'm looking forward to see the crazy shit this crew has in store.

Want some help with one last secret on Map14. The shotgun shell box behind the bars. How do you open it?

(The amount of time I spent finding the damn secrets on this map...)

A hint: Stand on the walkway to the octagonal building and look very carefully at a certain wall.

The answer can be found below:

Spoiler

In the wall southwest of the octagonal building is a switch hidden by a transparent wall texture. Shoot it and the bars will open.

I have released a new hotfix today, which shall be uploaded to idgames/ by the end of the day:

[snip]

It fixes a major bug in MAP17 which caused a monster to be trapped outside the map, which meant that 100% Kills was impossible. It also fixes the previously mentioned coop-only 100% Kills bug on MAP29, which (despite hawkwind's suggestion) was fixed merely by correcting two linedefs' types. Yeah, I know it's been about a month since the last version was released, but it's better to release this patch now than later.

Enjoy!

Updated the previous hotfix because a bug on MAP18 was pointed out that's incredibly easy to do, but was apparently never noticed till now. You could jump out of the windows near the berserk pack pedestal and trap yourself outside of the playable area. Good thing the previous version of the hotfix wasn't uploaded to idgames/, huh?

[snip]

This one was, though. I will update this post and the opening post when Ty puts it on the archive.

In any case, enjoy!

Sorry for the triple post, but the new hotfix is now on idgames/! It should be available on all supported mirrors. The opening post has been updated to reflect this, and the previous Speedyshare link has been removed.

I have finally finished playing through this (UV, continuous play in ZDoom with mouselook). It is a truly spectacular journey! The whole thing feels like a grand adventure and, when I discovered that I'd spent about 13 hours playing it in total (not counting all of the deaths) I wasn't surprised. Very, very good.

The Green Herring said:

It also fixes the previously mentioned coop-only 100% Kills bug on MAP29, which (despite hawkwind's suggestion) was fixed merely by correcting two linedefs' types.

It wasn't coop, it was single player - T398. In any event, yes, the fix I stated was wrong - what was I thinking ?. Anyway, fixed now. Thanks GH.

I said "coop-only" because a single player cannot run backwards fast enough from the linedef trigger to block the arch-vile (or zombieman on Easy) from teleporting, but a second player could stand on top of its landing spot. Either way, though, glad it helped!

If I may ask, why was my map dropped? Last I knew , those who finalized their maps for the pack didn't have to check up in the status check thread.

I hate to break this to you, but the level made it in only because it predated the quality check I put into CC4 after Death-Destiny vanished from the project and the community. When he was still part of the project, any level that was submitted made it in. When the project neared completion, it was agreed between myself and the playtesters that the level wasn't very good. The reason I hadn't sent a message to you, however, is because at that point, I had no way to be sure whether or not you were still interested in Doom enough to even care about it.

How so? Up until you made your post today, you hadn't posted here on Doomworld for two years. How in God's name was I supposed to know?

EDIT (5:08 PM PDT): Added a link.

The Green Herring said:

I hate to break this to you, but the level made it in only because it predated the quality check I put into CC4 after Death-Destiny vanished from the project and the community. When he was still part of the project, any level that was submitted made it in. When the project neared completion, it was agreed between myself and the playtesters that the level wasn't very good. The reason I hadn't sent a message to you, however, is because at that point, I had no way to be sure whether or not you were still interested in Doom enough to even care about it.

How so? Up until you made your post today, you hadn't posted here on Doomworld for two years. How in God's name was I supposed to know?

EDIT (5:08 PM PDT): Added a link.

Ok fair enough.

but from my perspective it's kinda like changing the rules of a contest after all the submissions were submitted.

And yea, I did disappear, but it was only because of how slowly Community chest 4 was moving. when I left, it was like progress on the megawad was at a stand still. Like the project was stopped.

I had no way of knowing myself if the project was still going, even if I did stay. (I checked the section several times before leaving)

However, you still could have e-mailed me about the map, because even if my interest in doom dropped, it would have been nice to know that the map I submitted was being dropped for one reason or another.

Also I'm sure the others who disappeared and submitted finalized maps that were previously accepted might be interested if their maps were cut or not.

To be honest, I actually get a better turnaround time for feed back with SRB2's bimonthly Original Level Design Contest.

ps. I contacted the person who expressed interest in playing my level. The level is now receiving a revision with few edits.

Bugs in map 20 ...

This one courtesy of Graham Jackson ...

1. Lines 7681, 7682, 7687 and 7702 need the impassible flag set, for obvious reasons.

Which led me to investigate further and I found these ...

2. When sector 524 is lowered, it is possible to run from sector 325, onto sector 525 and into either sector 333 or 965, and the player is trapped.

3. If player is at sector 1158 an walks over lines 13681 and 12849, the player falls down into sectors 1232 and 1193 respectively, and is trapped.

'ello,

In need of help of another secret - in MAP18, invul amongst crates behind a wooden wall - how do I get there?

Congratulations, already did a couple of levels and is just what I expected: another great community project. I just have a little doubt. I remember reading a thread, I think it was started by someone called TheExile, but I'm not sure, where he/she was talking about a concept/experimental level created for this megawad. It was called Dark Vile, and if I remember correctly it was going to be MAP13. But now I see it, and its called Viral Implant, from Phobus. Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a great map, it just happens that I like concept maps a lot. Does anyone know what happened to Dark Vile and where can I find it? Thanks in advance, and again, congratulations for this great project.

TheExile withdrew Dark Vile from CC4 in March 2010 and doesn't seem to have posted here at Doomworld since. So you may be out of luck.