Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club Plays: CC4 (Starting JENESIS Oct. 1st!)

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! We schedule our time so that we beat a level per day, and any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What if I fall behind?
No worries! If you’re behind a bit you can still post about the levels you've played as long as you’re trying to catch up.* But try not to fall too far behind… we don’t want posts about map 5 popping up when everyone else is on map 30.

*Since we have a bunch of people falling behind, feel free to post about whatever map you beat whenever you please

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

----------

The megawad we are playing through is COMMUNITY CHEST 4

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<

Community Chest 4 is the fourth effort in a series of polished mapsets made by the Doomworld community, originally started way back in ’08. We will be playing one map a day, starting August 18th, and the maps & authors are as follows:

MAP01 “Renewed Faith” – William Huber
MAP02 “Slugfest” – skillsaw
MAP03 “Three is a Charm” – James Cresswell (Phobus)
MAP04 “Polluted Paths” – Forty-Two
MAP05 “Installation Decrepit” – Alice Jameson
MAP06 “Survival Instincts” – Adam Windsor
MAP07 “Hoedown” – James Cresswell (Phobus)
MAP08 “Cold Reception” – Mithran Denizen
MAP09 “Ochregerde” – William Huber
MAP10 “Inner Fear” – Dutch Devil
MAP11 “The Grotto” – Christoph and Josh Sealy
MAP12 “Nectar of the Gods” – The Green Herring
MAP13 “Viral Implant” – James Cresswell (Phobus)
MAP14 “Downriver” – Processing Control
MAP15 “Decomposition” – Lord Z
(MAP31 “Mortar Combat” – Forty-Two)
(MAP32 “Mutare” – Jeffrey Nordin)
MAP16 “The Forgotten Base” – Keeper of Jericho
MAP17 “Metastasize” – Andy Leaver
MAP18 “Suburbia” – James Paddock (Jimmy) and Brett Harrell (Mechadon)
MAP19 “Technoprison” – Josh Sealy
MAP20 “Interstellar Sickness” – lupinx-Kassman
MAP21 “Shaman’s Device” – lupinx-Kassman
MAP22 “Hell’s Limits” – C30N9
MAP23 “Melting Universe II” – Walter Confalonieri
MAP24 “Detachment” – Shadow Dweller
MAP25 “Nightmare Complex” – Kim Bach (Torn)
MAP26 “Reaper’s Digest” – Kristian Aro
MAP27 “Vulcana II” – Paul Corfiatis
MAP28 “Crucifix Held Close” – William Huber
MAP29 “Spiritual Holocaust” – Christian Lian
MAP30 “Ragnarok” – Josh Sealy

And finally, a special big thanks to The Green Herring for being the community project leader and trying his damnedest to get this project together. It’s been a rocky ride, but it’s been worth it (hopefully)!

Also taken from the CC4 thread:

This WAD requires a Boom-compatible source port that supports increased SEGS. Thus, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 with -complevel 9 (for Boom compatibility) and the Eternity Engine v3.40.20 "Mjolnir" are recommended to play this WAD!

----------
OLD THREADS
BF_THUD!

All kinds of awesome! Love the pic dobugabumaru and how you incorporated the Baron into it, fan-fucken-tastic!

gun_psycho said:

Any rules for anyone who's ahead of the pack?

Just don't post about maps before we've gotten to them. Although knowing you, you'll probably have this done in a few days.

@dobugabumaru - Okay, gotcha. By the way, I'm not gonna be getting all of the secrets in this megawad, except for the secret exits in Map15 and Map31.

I won't be able to join this one because I'll be away for ~2 weeks and I'll probably be too lazy to catch up. :P

Hopefully my map won't be too bad...

I will likely fall behind on this, well I will on here as I'm moving house and hence shall not have internet for about a week. Looks like someone is going to have to take notes on paper again :P

Well it's the 18th here, so I can start, right?

MAP01
On the whole, I liked this. The green theme perhaps got a little overdone, but the architecture was well put together. A simple introductory battle to give you the shotgun, leading out into a courtyard where you can get sniped at from several directions. Once you clear that out and climb onto the balcony area, the "a wall drops and monsters come out" gameplay was a tad repetitive, but the look of the area was good. Nice detail on the rocky sections, and good use of varying heights and architectural details to make things look interesting. Also useful for cover in those "walls open" fights.

Through the blue door, the first fake exit is pretty obviously a trap: I flicked the switch and motored backward. The second trap caught me by surprise, though the monsters were still pretty easy to clean out (as they should be for map01).

Didn't find many secrets, but then I've never been all that good at spotting them.

A fine start to the wad. Looking forward to map02 tomorrow.

OK, I'll join.

Just to put my comments in my context, I'm a noob, I'm pretty useless at Doom..I've been savescumming my way through the official WADs over the past few months, using a pretty poor quality gamepad. I'm currently getting my arse kicked left right and centre on Plutonia 08, and I don't think I've got through a level without dying since Doom 2 Map 1.

CC4 Map 01 was a walk in the park for me. Not even close to death, even though I naively expected the final switch to be the exit. 10 health points for a blue potion was nice?

It was fun though, it was a great run through. I thought it looked lovely, and the music gave it an arcadey feel I haven't really experienced before.

After I cleared the main area, I had a little look around, nothing particularly looked out of place to me. I didn't find the secret. Was there supposed to a chaingun - I saw this mentioned in the demo thread?

MAP01: Renewed Faith by William Huber

This is the perfect opening map. I love everything about it: the flow, the music, the gorgeous green techbase theme. Superb design & detail, and I have feeling I'll be saying that about the majority of the maps in this collection. The only place I could find even a minor fault with gameplay, athough this could be due to my conservative style, is that I spent a lot of time pistol sniping the enemies on the ledges in the outdoor area. I loved how, when pressing switches, instead of your basic monster closet/teleport, it opened up new areas as well or a new way to get through an existing place (in one instance). The exit area traps are jolly good. Doom's come a long way from '94 baby!

100/98/0 6:50 UV

I had a look in DB2 to find the secret & item I was missing... devious! Personally I never would have found that, even though it's definitely pretty easy to find! Well done.

kaihoisa said:

10 health points for a blue potion was nice?

That's just 10 health potions stacked on top of each other :)

Capellan said:

That's just 10 health potions stacked on top of each other :)

One of my favourite tricks, especially for armor as there's nothing between 1 armor point and the 100 you get for green.

MAP01
I have never played any of the other Community Chest WADs, so this was a case of going in blind. Didn't know what to expect.

Do they all have Ridge Racer music? :P

Alright, snark aside I liked the first map. Wrestling my first shotgun from the arms of a Sergeant is always a favourite (that's how Doom 1 did is, that's how I'm doing it, and it's worked out pretty well so far). I liked the overall tech theme of the level, although new textures are noisier and grainier than the default ones; it jars a bit.

The flowthrough of this level was pretty seamless, and I always knew where I was headed, which is great. Like some others here, I called it on the exit door trap but not the following switch ambush - great double-bluff there. I ended the map thinking 'fuck yeah, bring the rest on' and saved as MAP02 gave me some Mega Man X music. Nice. ;)

Well that first map was a blast and a half, I like the balance of ammo to monsters, had to keep diving in recklessly to pick up dropped shotguns. The map design was a refreshing waterfall of shapes and colours after playing bf thud for weeks, although I've found since I started map making myself I keep stopping to admire the scenery.

Don't you love it when you spend ages searching the map for the last few enemies before hitting the exit, only to find they were all hiding behind the exit switch? I couldn't find the secret either.

Bloody good start to the wad. In the spirit of adventure I'm going to play through the whole thing on ultraviolence with pistol starts.

Map01 I definitely agree with being a great start to a megawad without having revenants in it. Since I'm not much of a perfectionist nowadays, I'm not gonna be hung up on finding secrets throughout my playthrough. (except for finding the secret exits, so completing maps 15 and 31 by finding the secret exits might take a while.)

MAP01: This was a fun little romp, that's quite a bit more heavy on action than most other starter maps. I liked that the enemy mixtures kept to only four different types (mostly), and the color scheme was really gritty. Pretty easy, but overall a nice start.

I've got an FDA uploading right now that will be ready in about 100 minutes. I finished the map with 100/100/100 but it took me 14 minutes. I liked it. I give commentary in my FDA video.

EDITS: I just finished map02. Took me several tries. I finally decided to single out the chaingunners early on. That did it. Once again, an LP will be along in an hour or so with my comments.

Memfis said:

But the annoying part is that the screen becomes very bright for a few seconds.

What port do you use? Zdoom conceals the trick's ways by not brightening the screen.

One map a day? How manageable! I can do this.

MAP01: Actually quite a blast. This is a good case of well implemented monster closets... ambushes that make you smile and shake your head instead of groan or rage about how bullshit they are. Certainly not an overly challenging map but small (though not too short) and not stupidly easy. A very mature introduction if I say so myself.

So here we go... CC4. First things first, this set seems nicely packaged with a new title-pic, M_Doom graphic and replaced demos as you would expect from such a polished project. I'm not so sure I like the HUD but as long as they remain practical I'm all for it as it gives the megawad it's own character.

I have decided to play on HMP and play continuously even though the set has been designed for pistol start. I will surrender my arsenal if I'm killed and I will avoid using saves except when I leave the game - or perhaps when the levels start getting really big.

MAP01: Renewed Faith by William Huber

A simply splendid start to the WAD. The new textures have been used tastefully and the architecture and level flow is outstanding. Detailing is advanced, but neat and professional looking. Reminiscent of Skillsaw's Vanguard at times. Having been confined by Dooming to BF_THUD! lately this is a real treat aesthetically.

I got a real sense of place from the layout. It felt like a small mountain base that was fun to navigate and, unusually for me, I wanted to make the effort to explore it all after all was dead to try and hunt down the secret. Alas, I could not find it. It would have felt rewarding if one or two trivial secrets were added to open up extra areas for the player to explore.

Huber did well to restrain himself in terms of level size and difficulty. The fights were not boring but casual enough to be in-fitting with the first map. The fight against the hitscanners up on the rocks was the lowest point due to me being over-cautious with my shell ammo and using the pistol but this is me trying hard to find something to quibble over. The double false exit could also be considered vulgar and the music out of character for Doom, but again, I'm being very picky as without offering up these niggles I would be gushing pure praise and no-one wants that - it's disgusting.

A super start for CC4 then. Held back ever so slightly, only by the inherent limitations that go with being MAP01 in a megawad.

4/5

Warning, I started playing level 2 when I finished map01. Map01 took me 14 minutes, but the video is like 20 minutes.

I'll be doing many of these from memory, though re-playing a number of maps will be requisite as there have been several alterations in the beta phase (SEE: DutchDevil's map)

Anyhow, Map01:
Ah, right. The green one :P

Ever since the first CC, I think people have realized that getting out of the gate on the right foot is important, and this certainly follows CC2 and CC3's tradition of quality. Cleanly-crafted and a lot of fun, there are approximately 0 complaints that I've had about this map since I first ran through it. Good use of color and height variation. This sets a decent bar for the subsequent maps to top (and some will, very much, top this!).

Map02
I liked the use of different heights in this, with monsters above or below you. I wasn't thrilled with some of the design choices of how to move from one level to another (didn't much like the 'ladders', as they seemed visually at odds with the blue and grey theme), but that was minor.

Gameplay was a bit uneven, with a lot of easy stuff, but also a couple of fairly intense battles. However, these 'spikes' in opposition were generally sign-posted, so you could prep yourself for them. There were no 'unfair' tricks and traps here.

I didn't like it quite as much as the first map, and the actual exit was a bit underwhelming, but this was still a solid level.

MAP02 “Slugfest” – skillsaw

Could be re-titled Shell-fest for it's over abundance of shotgun ammo. I left loads of it scattered around, happily blasted single imps with the SSG and hardly ever switched to the chaingun so I think an ammo-diet wouldn't have hurt.

Monster placement was pretty good, in particular it was a lesson in chaingunner placement, which was restrained but carefully placed so that the player must locate before eliminating the threat. Health was suitably forgiving for MAP02 so any players falling foul of this or the climatic warp scramble - the only other challenging fight - can recover. Mid-tier monsters were placed less thoughtfully serving usually more to halt the player than to challenge them but it doesn't stifle the map much.

Like it's predecessor the visuals in this map are very tight and the architecture is great. I loved the level flow and the fact that it manages to be non-linear while still providing an obvious route. As usual I found no secrets but this doesn't bother me.

As a bonus both maps actually feel part of the same set. I'm not getting that sense of clashing themes and styles, which is the usual pitfall of community megawads.

4/5

MAP02
A grey base with a midi that doesn't loop correctly (that is, it didn't for me in ZDoom). I'll give the author this much though, it's damn hard to find any safe areas in this map from which to plug monsters - I had to duck and dive and seek cover a lot in the whole Blue Key section and the Red Key section, although more straightforward and 'sneaky', has a great little ambush that I had to literally wade through Imps for any kind of cover.

Enemy teleport pads nicely foreshadowed a FUCKER of a section later with the yellow key. Again, no way to find cover as the area fills with monsters - and a nice balance, too. Demons make the chaingun too weak an option as they swarm; numerous imps and soldiers from all sides make the shotguns too slow as they barrage the player. I went for the latter and kept on the move - although this section is maybe a touch too cramped for this, I got along fine.

A neat enough second map, I liked it.

map 2 - slugfest, certainly lived up to the name. Non stop action, I especially liked the finale, nice mix of monsters in this map. I was having so much fun I forgot to look for any secrets. I prefer doom music to be a bit more subtle myself, but it suited the fast pace.

Really nice layout too, simple yet complicated. I died once on the last bit, but never felt overwhelmed - lots of architecture to run and hide behind.

jolly good

MAP02

Died 3 times, once going back to the start area when a revenant teleported right in my face, and twice in the YK room.

Visuals were nice enough. I wonder if you can get into the area on the east of the map where the imps were?

Again, I enjoyed this one, always felt I had a chance, although I will say I thought teleporting a revenant literally right in front of me is a bit meh. I thought the chaingunner placement was quite clever in places.

Music was nice and arcadey again, though there's a gunshot sound in the music track I could have done without, kept making me jump.

Found 1 secret, which was imaginative, I've never seen a switch just appear like that before. Intuitive too, I'm never going to look at something like that and go there. It was a good thing I found it too, without it I think I'd still be getting slaughtered in the YK room.

More than enough ammo for me, and I was very wasteful.

This is going to get much harder, isn't it?

Map02

The only trap that caught me off-guard was the revenant duo after I got back to the starting area with the red key. Also, the thee revenants at the end of the enemy horde was somewhat tough.

All in all, it was fun map, with the chaingunner sniping spots fairly easy to deal with.

MAP02: Slugfest by Skillsaw

Another superbly designed small-mid size map with hints of Underhalls. Nice intricately designed areas with excellent connectivity. Gameplay wise it's excellent. We are introduced to the chaingun right from the start, and it's much needed here! The mini-invasion at the end of the map is well done and doesn't go over the top. I question the need for 2 SSGs in the map though, as you can't really miss either of them.

100/94/0 6:08
Again couldn't find any of the two secrets, again opened DB2, again was very impressed with the method of accessing them, the crate one in particular... it's almost obvious in hindsight!

MAP03: Three Is A Charm by Phobus

Reminiscent of Doom 1 techbase at the beginning. After the initial it takes you through an expansive dark cavern section, until reaching the end area which is a dark damaged pipes area, which I liked a lot. What I didn't like was that it was too dark. The monsters chosen worked well here, but I didn't care too much for the darkness. I also managed to get to the exit without even finding the yellow key. Exit gimmick is ok, but it left me having not explored maybe even half of the level. Difficulty is not bad even on UV.

41/27/22 5:57
It was good, but a little below the first two maps. Theme wise it also stands out from Maps 1, 2 and 4.