Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

Combat Shock 2 - Now on /idgames

Hello.

News: Combat shock 2 is more or less done. Download it, play it, enjoy it, hate it, but please tell me if something is wrong before I upload to /idgames.

I've been working on a sequel to my last release "Combat shock" for some time now and I felt that it's about time I made a thread to make it "official". What you'll get is more of the same: big maps with lots of detail and monsters. This time I have almost doubled the fun and give you 7 whole maps full of features that will surely turn you into a combat wounded veteran.

The gameplay is strongly based on slaughter and could very well be considered hard as hell for some and fairly easy to others. It all starts out with a jungle theme to pick up where you left off in Combat Shock and then slowly fades into a dark tech-base/industrial theme, to later end in a red hellish theme.

As always, I focus on boom compability (complevel_9) for the good ol' doom feeling and to make sure demo recording goes as smoothly as possible. The port of choice is in other words pr/glboom-plus.

The maps are carefully playtested by my buddies: Phml, j4rio, gggmork, Nevan and ancalagon. So I want to send a super big thank you out to them!

Here's a list of the maps and some screenshots:

Aftermath
Pic1
Pic2

Rope or Bullet
Pic1
Pic2

Hone Gumi
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Rapid Fire
Pic1
Pic2

Boiling Point
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Closure
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Shocked for Life
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

iwad: doom2.wad
.txt is not complete and therefor left out of the zip.
coop starts on all maps
no difficulty setting (too lazy...)
complevel 9

Combat shock 2 is now on idgames: download now!

Peace!

Looking forward to this, to admire the beauty of it, I'm afraid your levels will kick my arse over and over again :P Still I look forward to some peeps doing some demos on these pieces of art.

haha excellent, looking forward to this. The first one kicked my arse so hard I think I gave up on it in the end. Might have to give it another run through on easier setting before this appears.

Wonder what the megawad club would make of it...

I love that texture that's just the metal part of WOODMET (forget what it's called), it's basically the "when in doubt, use this" texture.

Anyways, very pretty screens (dat sunder influence). Enjoyed the first Combat Shock so I'll be looking forward to this.

Definitely some of your best work to date, and thanks for the early look at this. I'd raise those two thumbs up, but my arms are numb after so many hours of quality Dooming.

hooray!

I'm currently stuck in the Rapid Fire map - in the room where the arch viles keep appearing while an army of hell knights and a spider mastermind shoot me to death.

Can anyone tell me the secret of surviving that?

Here's one way to do it. Took me two attempts, no previous experience with this particular version of the fight - previous iterations used to be easy to break.

Basically, I try to camp the arch-vile spawning position for as long as possible, also trying to deal as much damage as possible to the HKs/demons so they don't swarm me, and I flee to the opposite side when my BFG ammo is out, doing my best to clear the remaining arch-viles with rockets while moving just enough to not get overwhelmed, using pillars as cover for AV fire.

Looking at how clumsy I am, by timing your shots better you could probably be able to clear all arch-viles with BFG ammo and finish off the HKs/demons.

Another option would be to just run around from side to side clearing just enough to leave room to move, until the yellow key is lowered, at which point you could make a dash for it, move up the stairs, take out the spider mastermind with 2 BFG shots and clear the bottom horde with infinitelytall rockets on the pillars, as they don't climb up stairs well.

Yet another option could be to leave the chaingunners alive, wake them all up first then go back up right next to the entrance of this room as to make them gather in that little spot where arch-viles pop up. Then, you rush to the switch and flip it. Chances are they're going to provoke infighting -and- die easily, making for corpses to resurrect (and slow down the AVs) as well as divert AV flames from you. *Edit: ok, trying that last one doesn't work out too well, they're so scattered it takes some time for them to gather and it's likely you'll get hit a bit.

Now that I think of it, in the same fight described above now with the stair raising that cuts you off, there is a small possibility that you'd fall down and press the switch before noticing bfg, which would probably annoy a bit. You could move bfg to the lower level, onto the platform with ammo. Although it's really minor and unimportant thing whatsoever.

cheers, I'll try having another go tonight. The opening battle of that map is bloody epic, I hope I can crawl my way through this wad a bit further.

Glad you guys seems to enjoy it so far :)

I would like to hear some more opinions on the maps from all you downloaders, come on.

j4rio: Bah! If you can't even explore that little room, then you're not worthy of surviving your first visit to that room. ;)

Playing Map05, just noticed you can inadvertently climb on some wall detail (linedef 38734 and similar).

Also, I'm likely the only doomer bothered by that, but I'd love it if the little platforms in the curved lava corridors were set to the same height as the lava through transfer heights so there wouldn't be constant wobbling up and down going through that part. Then again, looking at the number of teleport dists used there it wouldn't be as simple as merging everything and linking to a single control sector, so it'd be entirely understandable if you thought this isn't worth the effort.

map01 FDA, played like a wuss but at least I survived. Just a minor complaint: the first room is a little uninspiring, I would add a nice outdoor view behind the player instead of that simple box. Look at E1M2 from "2002: A Doom Odyssey": you too start in a very simple room but there is a window on the right and you can see some other area through it. Even though it is very bare, I think it adds a lot to the feel.
Also some players might find collecting items a little tedious because they are just scattered all over the place.

the last arena in rapid fire is kicking my ass, it's quite an endurance test. Even after clearing the main floor and rev tower there's still serious traps along the border -.-

About the YK fight: I found that the AVs tele in in about the same amount of time it takes to circle-strafe around the room, so my strategy was basically keep the HK/demons in the center by running in circles, BFGing an AV each time I got to that corner. Still pretty brutal though.

About boiling point: I feel pretty stupid but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. the plasma and rocket seem to be at dead ends, every other route is blocked off?

also what's up with the last map? seems like it would be earlier in the set.

Ribbiks said:

About boiling point: I feel pretty stupid but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. the plasma and rocket seem to be at dead ends, every other route is blocked off?

I guess I have to come up with some way to clearify how you progress in the beginning. The pillars that holds all the weapons will lower once you've collected them from other areas nearby.

also what's up with the last map? seems like it would be earlier in the set.

It's a bonus map. Read OP :)

finally got past the yellow key room on Rapid Fire, after what seemed like a million attempts. I was pretty close to giving up, nothing else in that map was near as tough, even the enormous carnage of the finale.

Everything else so far has been a blast, but that room felt like really hard work - no room for error. I'll be interested to see how the pros deal with that bit.

Phml said:

Here's one way to do it.

Wow, nice one. Looked pretty hairy in that room. I ended up grabbing the key and legging it, luckily i had enough juice left in my bfg to nuke the spider on the way out, with about 15 health left.

had a quick look, looks great I will play through this tonight. Also where did you get the zombie skins from? Are they made by you or from another source? Either way they look good.

Started playing it today and so far it's awesome. Played through the first two maps only though :)
Was surprised it's possible to run out of red door trap in map02, is it intentional? Makes the trap too easy, but could be useful for speedrunning. Also the cyber in the exit room doesn't work properly in zandronum/zdoom/gzdoom - it gets stuck in the floor after teleporting in.

You should test it through ZDoom just to catch any console warnings. E.g.: all the "unknown bottom texture '-.'" in MAP01 ('-' is acceptable for "no texture", but '-.' isn't).

Also, in MAP04, linne 1273 has no first side. This is invalid and can make some ports crash. MAP07 uses a missing flat QFLAT07

Thanks for all the kind words so far!

Solarn said:

Are you sure you're not Insane_Gazebo in disguise?

I'm pretty sure insane_gazebo is dannebubinga in disguise ;) Just kidding. I don't think these maps resembles sunder that much at all, maybe map05, but it's still a stretch.

cannonball said:

Also where did you get the zombie skins from? Are they made by you or from another source? Either way they look good.

I got them from some wad in the archive. I will put a link to it in the .txt when it's released :)

jongo said:

Was surprised it's possible to run out of red door trap in map02, is it intentional? Makes the trap too easy, but could be useful for speedrunning. Also the cyber in the exit room doesn't work properly in zandronum/zdoom/gzdoom - it gets stuck in the floor after teleporting in.

Yes, it's intentional. I realized that I'm always trapping the player and it started to become a bad habit. I thought it could be interesting to leave the door open so speed running would be more interesting.

Gez said:

You should test it through ZDoom just to catch any console warnings. E.g.: all the "unknown bottom texture '-.'" in MAP01 ('-' is acceptable for "no texture", but '-.' isn't).

Also, in MAP04, linne 1273 has no first side. This is invalid and can make some ports crash. MAP07 uses a missing flat QFLAT07

Thanks for the heads up. I will run through it in zdoom to make sure everything's ok then.

@deathevokation: Don't just look at the screenshots, play it! :P

Have a couple of wads lined up, but I'm excited to play this soon. Looks like it'll kick my ass, and I welcome the challenge. Plus some of the arenas look fantastic, something screenshots can never truly capture the majesty of.

Just finished crawling my way through this wad on my hands and knees, there are some real tough bastard moments, especially in the last few maps (not including the bonus map which was almost a serene experience after all that mayhem).

The most gruelling bits for me were:
Rapid fire - yellow key arch vile room
Boiling Point - all of it, but mostly the red key pyramids of revenants and archviles with pinkie side-salad
Closure - After the platform hopping, opening the blue door and army of revenants chases you into imp and cyberdemon pincer movement.

To be sure it was all rock hard and mental, but mostly fun as well. And the scenery is really top notch, I often found myself admiring the view when things weren't trying to kill me.

bloody good stuff man. I'll have to wait til i forget how painful it was before having another go.