Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

Combat Shock 2 - Now on /idgames

Quality work here, dannebubinga !
I'm always pleased to see new maps from you, most notably when they are of this caliber.
Overall the traps were tough but mostly entertaining. Some of them might feel a bit unfair at first glance though, to me at least.

Visually the maps are gorgeous, you've obviously spent a lot of time on lighting and texture alignment, although maybe you should have avoided using visual themes already present in Sunder and in the first Combat Shock ( I'm talking about maps 04 and 05 here ). With the CC4 texture pack you can do quite a lot of different things.
The first 3 maps' global theme was very nicely done. :)

dannebubinga said:
no difficulty setting (too lazy...)

Aw.
Difficulty settings are quite fun to do and not too time-consuming, imho.

Thank you very much WH! I'm a big fan of your maps so it's nice to know you like my stuff :)

Well, the themes in map 4 and 5 are so cool that I can't stay away from them hehe. They also invite for some convenient grid mapping since the textures are all squares (more lazyness...).

You could just add more ammo/health/powerups/weapons to lower difficulties, shouldn't take too much work imo and won't even need playtesting.

Looks interesting, will play.

I'm with Sunder now so I'm ready for the difficulty.

dannebubinga said:

I'm pretty sure insane_gazebo is dannebubinga in disguise ;) Just kidding. I don't think these maps resembles sunder that much at all, maybe map05, but it's still a stretch.

And map04, and map06, and parts of map03. They're all seriously amazing and so far I'm trying to beat map04.

At the yellow key switch on map04, this map is seriously kicking my butt. Had to skip the 120 or so revenants on the previous level as I failed to utilise them in infighting. Awesome stuff so far.

I'm slowly working on a final version. The wad is now 100% compatible with zdoom/gzdoom and some minor visual stuff is fixed.

If anyone is experiencing weird stuff, speak up now! :)

Also. Please tell me if you really would like cs2 to have skill levels. In that case, I would have to give this a couple of days work.

And thanks for the award nominations so far.

I'd appreciate a HMP setting, not that I dont appreciate the challenge of UV but its a nice enough wad that i'd enjoy a more leisurely blast through as well.

But i'll take what i can get, so no worries if its a massive pain in the arse

Skill levels would be nice, but not ultimately necessary IMO. I say follow j4rio's advice and slap more powerups/health items, along with taking out like 15-20% of the monster hordes for each skill level. Or, most of the time you just need to remove the really problematic/obnoxious enemies that often cause grief, like AVs. It works wonders for us lesser players the more freedom you give us to more around without being exploded-ed.

Just few nitpicks. Line 1273 lacks a front sidedef in map04, and zandronum refuses to run the map because of that. Easily fixable and everything worked fine when i applied a temporary fix. But you've already done that it seems. Also in map03 the teleporter into the final trap was very difficult to find, we almost decided to restart the map after one guy died there, hehe.
A little request for map05 - could you make it so that not everything in teleport-traps wakes up immediately after shooting at start? Almost everyone (but me, hehe) lags out in that map in zandro. I understand coop playing is probably not the main concern, but at least some tweaking would be appreciated :)

A little request for map05 - could you make it so that not everything in teleport-traps wakes up immediately after shooting at start? Almost everyone (but me, hehe) lags out in that map in zandro.

This kind of change seems hard to do without allowing the player to potentially break the map - by refraining from shooting at particular spots as not to wake certain monsters.

Yeah, what Phml said. It would take quite a while to set up all the dummy sectors again and then make sure the player has to shoot in certain rooms. The way the map is interconnected would also make it hard.

Do you mean the coop teleporter in map03? I put that one right infront of your face when your'e respawning! Doesn't the player respawn at the start location (I've never cooped)?

dannebubinga said:

Also. Please tell me if you really would like cs2 to have skill levels. In that case, I would have to give this a couple of days work.

It would definitely be a plus. :)

Skill levels for map 1,2,3 and 7 are done. Some monsters removed and some health added to the lower difficulties. Map 4,5 and 6 will only get more power-ups on lower difficulties because editing gameplay now would give me a headeache from hell.

Hopefully, I can give you the final version this weekend! Start practicing those uv-max routes! ;)

dannebubinga said:

Do you mean the coop teleporter in map03? I put that one right infront of your face when you're respawning! Doesn't the player respawn at the start location (I've never cooped)?

Who plays with more than 1 life :p If one dies in survival coop, others have to figure out that you're supposed to run back to start, would be useful to maybe have 2 teleporters then - one right near the entrance to trap, one near the spawn.
And about map05, that's what i expected, but was afraid to hear :/. I'll just make a temporary fix for a private server myself then, since the wad is fun to play online, albeit much easier than in singleplayer.

Rc2 is now downloadable in OP.

UV is 100% done so you can start recording now!

Please check out the other skill levels and tell me what you think about them before I upload to /idgames.

Thank's for all the feedback and help guys!

Cool, cheers. Been blasting through it on HMP, the difficulty gradient is more of a gradual slope now, later maps are still pretty tough but that comes with the territory.

muchas gracias

I'm on level 4 so far, very excited.

At least it's no worse than such slaughter gems as New gothic movement 1 or Sunder. Well done!

P.S. and special thanks for descent 1 midi music in map04!

P.P.S. Just finished, very satisfactory!

I guess it would be even more challenging if you craft one or more levels with less ammo, to make it possible to finish only using monster infighting, which I love the most. :)

And add more cybies and spiders! I noticed that in most infightings regular monsters easily kill all the cybies and spiders. And with cybies add more pinkies, to get in the one's way and make it harder to use circle and strafe tactics.

I just wanted to let you know that I've fixed the mistake in map03 and the version that's present on /idgames is the fixed one!

In other words: It's 100% finished. Thanks for everything :)

"Map06: plutonia map32"
You meant "Plutonia MAP30", which is "The End of DOOM", the victory music in Doom 1. :)

dannebubinga said:

Haha omg. I'm such a sloppy uploader. Is this worth fixing? :P

Not really. ;) But if you do, the Vile Flesh soundtrack is entirely by Gwyn Williams.

Everything is pretty good but you didn't remove all the unused textures that really could have reduced the size of your WAD not that it really matters in this day and age but it should be something you can think about in future releases =)

These maps look fucking gorgeous :) It's really great to see someone putting this much effort into the look of their maps. You even topped it off with some really good music choices too, which at least in my head, does wonders for the atmosphere of the maps.

In fact, they were so good, I found myself wandering around looking for what I'd consider visual mistakes in regards to your architectural/textural contrasts and concepts, and found almost none at all. Hell, more than once, I'd look at some of your designs and think 'why didn't I think of that?', and I'd say that's a very good sign :)

(The slaughtery nature of the maps was just an added bonus :D)

Keep up the good work mate.

Insane_Gazebo said:

These maps look fucking gorgeous :) It's really great to see someone putting this much effort into the look of their maps. You even topped it off with some really good music choices too, which at least in my head, does wonders for the atmosphere of the maps.

In fact, they were so good, I found myself wandering around looking for what I'd consider visual mistakes in regards to your architectural/textural contrasts and concepts, and found almost none at all. Hell, more than once, I'd look at some of your designs and think 'why didn't I think of that?', and I'd say that's a very good sign :)

(The slaughtery nature of the maps was just an added bonus :D)

Keep up the good work mate.

I don't want to sound like an ass but a lot of maps in Sunder have some really crappy texture variation for instance the furnace only has 23 unique textures with 65000 sides and 3500 sectors I think your architectural style is pretty good but your judgement of textural contrast and texture variation stinks. Also you need to learn to spam Boom ceiling/floor brightness transfers heh. Anyways those are just my observations from Sunder but I still have to thank you I learned a lot from your 45-degree architectural style and use it a lot now it's really made a large improvement in my layouts.