Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Putrefier

After two long years, Putrefier is just about done. Before I give this the idgames treatment, I'd like to put up a public beta / bug-hunt.

Edit: Finalized Version
Mediafire

This is for GZDoom and fog must be disabled. Also, sector light mode set to bright.

screenshot

I am aware of the tall, spire like building being cut off by the sky at one instance. Too much work for a non-intrusive bug.

It's a beast of a map, btw. Old hardware / video cards beware.

The screenshot looks awesome. Now, when you say BETA, you're just referring to the fact that they may be bugs you haven't seen, or are you saying the wad hasn't been 100% completed?

The layout is 100% - I'm having a kid in a few weeks, would like it up on idgames before then. Pretty much just a bug-hunt.

The map really looks stunning, more quake 2 than doom.
After finishing the level i had 150 out of 230 kills, dont know
if this is intended. i played on UV. with a little nocliping i noticed
a few boxes of monsters didnt get activated.

Ah, slip of the hand in a quick update - Will fix as soon as possible,
lol.

Edit* Links fixed, thanks.

Script error, "ma_put_beta.pk3:decorate.lmp" line 531:
Invalid state parameter a_setscale

Soz, when I go to run this, I get this error.

Tried it, died on the cyber (feels like an unfair trap tbh), you can watch the demo of my playthrough if you want: DL.
(played with GZDoom 1.6.0.1449)

Visually it's a very interesting map but gameplay-wise... Level progression is just terrible: every time you press a switch you have to recheck every area you've been to to see if something has changed. And almost every fight features teleporting monsters: are they really that fun? I don't think so.
IMO your wad "Don't drink the water" was much more fun to play. But of course it didn't have mind-blowing visuals. :)

BlackFish said:

Loved the details and all, but having to figure out what each switch did every time got annoying after a while.

In some wads, the author will have the camera change to show what activating a switch did. I think bigger maps need to utilize this, unless the purpose is to make the player search all over. In my wads, switches that activate things not in the same area of the switch typically have a camera showing you where to go next.

Ed said:

Um, got the latest GZDoom SVN?

http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-r1456.7z

And to think I only updated my GZDoom within the last 6 weeks or so. And already out of date.

In regards to the level, magnificent, epic architecture, but gotta agree with Blackfish on the switch hunt thing. The very first switch (on that ledge overlooking the area below) was in total darkness, and I couldn't even see it, so wandered around lost for quite a while. ANd every switch after that was a series of wandering around until I noticed something new.

Also, the cyberdemon trap was simply too brutal. I got trapped at the end of the corridor at which I had entered that area, and had no room to dodge around the cyber or really even move properly.

Really liked those pink beastie things tho. Will finish soon.

The key for the cyberdemon ambush is to move forward. Clear only the flesh blobs that block your path and hurry back into the room, dodge the cyberdemon rockets while you climb the ramp, activate the switch, jump to the other ramp, and you can leave the area. (Or stay and kill everything.)

But if you stay in the corridor, try to kill all the enemies in front of you before moving, then Cybo closes in and traps you.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And to think I only updated my GZDoom within the last 6 weeks or so. And already out of date.

Did you update it by going to this page? If so, you've been tricked into downloading an ancient version. For some reason, Graf hasn't updated the front page; so it still claims that 1.5.06 (based off ZDoom 2.5.0, dated December 2010) is the latest. You have to look here and get the latest (1.6.00). Though if you have an SVN build, it's just as well.

Only played a bit of this last night, you should make the first switch a little more obvious, it was pitch black and I couldn't see where it was. Spent too long running around the level assuming I was looking for something else, and only found out there WAS a switch after reading through the ZDoom forums topic.

Great feedback so far.

Gez pretty much nailed it on the cyberdemon fight.

I will do some tweaks to the game-play before the final release. I don't play too much Doom these days outside of mapping, the more feedback I get the better.

Is anyone having any trouble with wonky texture issues? On certain texture filtering settings on old ATI cards, the larger textures would blink out. Also, are there any other areas where light level is a concern?

I really like the design of this map but I thought the development time of two years seems pretty high. Did you do only a couple hours work on it at time ?

Yeah, Ed, don't try and trick the good people of Doomworld into thinking it took you more than a month to make all those custom resources and wrangle thousands of 3D floor control sectors. I know better, dammit!

esselfortium said:

Yeah, Ed, don't try and trick the good people of Doomworld into thinking it took you more than a month to make all those custom resources and wrangle thousands of 3D floor control sectors. I know better, dammit!

It's probably 2 weeks work for someone of your caliber Essel =)

The level looks great. It totally reminds me of Quake 2, but I have to agree with Memfis and Blackfish. It's annoying trying to find the switches and figuring out what they do.

Pretty interesting, and ran better on my machine than I expected. One thing though... I picked up a shotgun not long after the level started, and a door opened up next to it. The side texture scrolled up with the door, as if it were missing a "lower unpegged". Is this on purpose?

The unpegged texture was intentional. I like how it works with certain door-track textures.

The game-play was strung together in little over 6 hours on Saturday, just so anyone testing it can have something to point a gun at while looking for serious bugs. I set a deadline for this week to have a beta out there in order to fix any major bugs anyone might come across. My major concerns are light levels on various monitors, performance and texture glitches anyone might come across.

If nothing major crops up, I can spend much more time refining the gameplay without worrying about any disasters. It doesn't bother me having a map at 80% out there so long as I don't release it with a ton of issues on various machines.

And yeah, dev time started right after Valhalla was finished. I was intending to do a full iwad worth of material (including monsters/weapons/ect.) glad I went for a single map.

Ed said:

And yeah, dev time started right after Valhalla was finished. I was intending to do a full iwad worth of material (including monsters/weapons/ect.) glad I went for a single map.

That would've been amazing.

This was awesome (although the switches were kinda hard to find at times simply because it was so dark), until I ran into the things that looked like pink protozoid slimers from Duke Nukem 3D, then my childhood nightmares kicked in and I quit immediately.

So um... any chance there can be a "Tarnsman is a scared little girl" version of this that removes those enemies?

Damn, this looks amazing but I just tried to play it and my onboard graphics just can't cope, I can't get an acceptable framerate and that's even before any monsters appear. It seems incredible that I need to update my graphics capabilities to play an almost 20 year old game but I guess that's a tribute to Doom and the ingenuity of its modern mappers!

ctrl+v from zdoom forums:

Alrighty - This is the finalized version of Putrefier - Lighting has been brightened quite a bit. Besides the game-play, I added a pretty big short-cut in the center of the map that cuts travel time down significantly, as well as some little hints to help you along the way. There are some difficult parts, but when you know the fights, an experienced player should be able to get through on UV without bashing his/her keyboard too much.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3161bnui5or1b62

So long as there aren't any outright bugs to be found, I'm calling it a wrap.
Big thanks to Nash & Xaser for the lighting info and especially Essel for a truck-load of input / beta testing along the way.

Absolutely incredible! I spent a fair bit of time running around trying to find what one or two of the switches did, but I enjoyed myself overall and was very impressed by the atmosphere, views, level of visual fidelity and general experience!

Fantastic work. I'd be tempted to say it's "The best looking switch hunt you'll ever play" but that would be selling it short.

Great work :)

Apologies for the necro but I think this thread is the best place for my question.

When I load up this map, I think that all Things in the map are invisible. What I'm seeing is that when I climb the short rounded staircase, I get a shotgun from nowhere, I hear an imp or three wake up, and then suddenly I'm being assaulted by a chaingunner I can't locate. If I fire into the doors that opened I hear a monster being wounded but there isn't any there.

My command line is:

gzdoom -nomusic -iwad doom2 -file pwads\ma_put\ma_put.pk3

from the directory containing gzdoom 1.7.0 and DOOM2.WAD, as well as the directory pwads. (Sorry if there's amazing music... music ruins the experience for me in Doom :-/)

Screenshot of the opening room: