Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

There is also a posibility that some mappers who signed in and did not reply in months will fall out of the list..
Can not really include someone's map if he/she will not finish it and send it to KoJ right?

True!

Give some time (e.g. 1 month) everyone to show something and drop him if there's no answer within this time!

After that, you may distribute the remaining empty slots between those who still have capacity for making more maps.

Wow, haha. I had no idea that (empty) was actually a user name... Well, I'll go work on some kind of submission and leave it up to you guys.

Hey Keeper, did you get mine? I sent it a few months ago and I noticed that it wasn't listed.
It would suck if you didn't because I basically had to obliterate my harddrive last month so...

dachauncinator said:

Hey Keeper, did you get mine? I sent it a few months ago and I noticed that it wasn't listed.
It would suck if you didn't because I basically had to obliterate my harddrive last month so...

Yeah, I got it. Sorry, it seems I forgot to update the list.

Don't drop me yet, but I haven't touched my map in a while. Mostly needs difficulty balancing and/or feedback on what's already been put out.

Jimi said:

Maybe one room should be one major area of a level? Like E1M1 could be divided into these major areas:

1) Start Area, including the green armor/shotgunners
2) Computer Hall
3) Nukage ZigZag Bridge
4) Outdoor yard with the nukage puddle
5) Exit Area

Count the corridors connecting areas as one half to one area and the other half to the other area..

There's also a room with two fences and barrels.

@ Citadel of Hell
* I'm not very sure about the connectivity of the East-side of the map (the one with the elevator). If all feels a little cramped and feels a lot less connected from the rest of the citadel. I also find that the lifts look quite bad.
* The exit was quite unclear and could use a bit more 'this-is-the-exit'
theme
* Lighting throughout the entire map feels rather blend as there is no strong sense of light and dark areas.

I will put a lot of extra testing into certain maps and I might actually have some time to get working on a new map. Let me know if you think that a slot comes available because the original guy has gone missing.

I know that I shouldn't promise whilst I feel at ease, but I'm on the final round with the map MAP17: Blackfire.

@ Citadel of Hell
* 2 stim packs at the SSG are clipping.
* staircase blue switch little choppy (as in, the player falls down it)
* Switch at elevator is in quite a large enclove

What I really did like was the change at the end, the ending of the map is now a lot more prominent and the combat also has improved with the shotgunners next to it.

@5ROOMS-CAVE
* Comp2 A8 shows a missing texture when loading into doom builder
* shotgun munition too close to starting elevator is floating
* lift to exit somewhat unclear
* linedef 434 and 439 miss-aligned
* exit might be a little to easy to reach, the revenants appear to late.
* no secret in the toxin, now you left me searching for nothing with two radiation suits :(

I really like the map. on UV it's quite hard, but the flow is nice and the level layout is smart.

@map23
* the exit is in no way announced. I would add signs at the blocking pillars so that the player learns quickly where the exit actually is.
* sector 336 is a little odd
* Secret Sector 308 impossible?
* I found reaching secret-sector 194 very hard, as the jump you have to perform is very complex. I would opt to make the jump easier or to make sector 10 gun-activated. That way, players can easier solve a smaller part of the puzzle while still having to perform a tricky jump.
* Some weirdly shaped sectors around -500, -1200 that are disconnected from the map.
* The yellow key was hard to see. Possibly do it the other way around; the key is beyond player range and must be lowered for the player to pick it up.

Overall I really liked it. I find the combat well paced throughout the map although the combat at UV in the beginning is really hard.

---
So far I think we're on a good track and I like how some of the maps are shaping up to be.

Thanks for the feedback :) I will go through the map and make fixes as neccessary and I will send the next version to KoJ. Again I really appreciate you taking the time to play through it, and Im glad you enjoyed it.

EDIT: Just realized map 03 was named "Carnage Canyon" so I may change the name of my map. Thinking something like "Death Valley"

@ Citadel of Hell

* I noticed one weird thing with the roof tiles above the red key. You might want to go through that once more. and make it all one height. You can also get yourself some minor performance improvement here by making the tiny chunks part of the same sector.
* Don't forget the coop spawns (and possibly, extra monsters and love)

Thanks for the feedback Eonfge!
Here is the improved version of MAP23.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4q0wv03uqn6bv5c/MAP23.wad

I made UV a tad bit easier by adding armor at the beginning and I also got rid of one of the Arch-Viles that appear later in the level.

Also, I didn't quite get what you meant when you said that sector 336 looks odd, but nevertheless I got rid of it and redid it. To add to that, sectors 500 are supposed to be cut off from the map since it's meant to be scenery, but I noticed it looked rather messy so I redid that entire area too.

Keeper of Jericho said:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Elpizo/Doom-Screenshots/5Rooms/tworooms_example5.png

I just added another sector to the room. There are still no doors, both sectors have the same height of floor and ceiling, same textures… And still they don’t count as one room. No, here we see an example of TWO rooms. Why two? Because there is not a single point in the entire room where the player can see the entire room. The player needs to pass through the small hall in order to get to the second sector, and once there, he can no longer see any part of the first sector. So, this counts as two rooms. The hall is counted as part of one of the two rooms, it’s not a room of its own.

FUCK.

Cell said:

FUCK.

Eh, if you forgot about that, no big deal, really. I know it's a "five rooms" project and all, but I'm pretty lenient when it comes to the rules, as long as the maps get finished. =)

Keeper of Jericho said:

Eh, if you forgot about that, no big deal, really. I know it's a "five rooms" project and all, but I'm pretty lenient when it comes to the rules, as long as the maps get finished. =)

3 out of the 5 rooms are so lenghthy and curved in all senses, it doesn't live up to the project spirit at all. Well, I've been mapping for 9 and a half months, so I really do hope I won't be dropped.

Cell said:

3 out of the 5 rooms are so lenghthy and curved in all senses, it doesn't live up to the project spirit at all. Well, I've been mapping for 9 and a half months, so I really do hope I won't be dropped.

It's really up to you. If you think you can (and want to) adjust it so it fits, you're of course welcome to do so. But if you like your map the way it is now or don't feel like changing 9 months of work, I won't blame you either. In either case, I'm not going to drop you out of the project or anything, so no need to panic or anything. As long as the map is good and fun to play, that's what matters most.

If you are concerned about meeting requirements, you might want to share some screenshots or your latest version so that we can see it. I do feel that 'trying' to get 5 rooms should be an important goal, but if we have to show some lenience for something that's awesome, then so be it.

As long as this is bumped, I've been tweaking my stage, adding a few new monster spawns and such. I think I made the map virtually impossible to complete on Ultra-Violence as a result, though; need to tone it down somewhat still. Way too much ammo, too.

What happened to humpty dumpty when he fell off a wall? He went BUMP here's the map. Still needs testing as I'm sick of it now. Yeah, I rushed the ending so just as long as it's okay nothing else matters. EDIT: There's a lot to improve upon I know but just posting this for now seeing as it's practically done. Some eye candy