Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Dear folks,

I've known the doom community for quite some time and I have previously made some smaller things, but I never actively participated in a project like this.

But I wish to change that, I have experience mapping for many iD games, have done previous design project before and hope that you take my map into account.

Baphomet of Trickery
Boom Compatible 5-room map

work images:
http://imgur.com/sypaz,0rmSI,ru9zU

The map focuses on a cavern/lava style with some elements of hell thrown in. it features a large main combat area and multiple side paths that all return to the same area.

I worked out the entire base layout, triggers and objectives. I have basic monster placement and texturing worked out. For texturing, I've stayed mostly faithful to the original Doom II textures. I design it for singleplayer, but I keep coop in mind and make sure there are certain tricks in the map to account for that.

For the next week, I want to add a lot of detail and work on the flow of the map. Some encounters might need some work and I'm also not content with the ending.

For the map slot, the map is not incredibly large and with a normal playing style runs for rougly 30 minutes. I would consider 19 or 22, although that would be up to you based on the theme.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Just emailed in an update to my map.

Got it! I've placed your map in map slot 8, if you're okay with that.

Eonfge said:

For the map slot, the map is not incredibly large and with a normal playing style runs for rougly 30 minutes. I would consider 19 or 22, although that would be up to you based on the theme.

I've signed you up for slot 22. Welcome aboard!

My map's name is: 820000P
It won't take more than fifteen minutes to finish and will be fairly easy, so I suggest one of slots 4to7. medium sized, base-city themed with one hellish detail.

MAP03 is progressing along well. Its a kinda unique space station I am working on. Now has 4 rooms and I will work on the 5th and final room + exit and post some screenshots in the next few days.

I've finished about 70% of map 15- Hit N Run so far.
The map looks different compared to the screeneis I've posted a few days ago because I didn't like the gameplay and I'm sure that the new design of the map is better than the previous one.

Most of the map's layout is done, I'm working on the brightness and the secret areas (and the secret exit of course).
The ammo&monster placement should be simple, unlike the previous one I'll add a more varied group of monsters to kill with berserk fists (a map with only demons&revenants would be boring) so imps, cacodemons and hell knights should make it more intresting.
Maybe I'll provide a bfg and 2 cell charges and add one cyberdemon on UV.

EDIT: any kind of secret sectors aren't counted as rooms right?
Because I wanna make a small secret room with a bfg.

Joseph Lord said:

Here is map27, i think im gonna call it "Say Than(sounds like Satan right? Suspense". Really need testing players because is to big for my shit of computer (hopyfully i could open map30, i cant play it)

http://www.speedyshare.com/kXbQD/map27.wad

I've played a short part of the map and I think that I found something that needs to be fixed.
When you get to the radiation suit secret near the lava it says that you found 4 secrets.

Map 15's design is almost done, I'm working on monster closets&secret areas right now.
Here's a screenshot of the map's main room:

@pcorf Holy smeg that looks awesome, I love the use of limited colours there (particularly the first screenshot).

Springy said:

@pcorf Holy smeg that looks awesome, I love the use of limited colours there (particularly the first screenshot).

Thanks for your comments. Its sort of a Star Wars inspired map. It also contains an original orchestral MIDI song named "Space Wars 3" which I wrote a few weeks ago. Since its MAP03 it will be an easier map and there will be no Cyberdemon or Archviles, etc. But do expect some Cacodemons and the odd Hell Knight. Maybe some Fatsos too, we'll see.

Uses almost entirely textures from MAP21 of Cchest4, some which are from Dark Forces. The purple nukage glows in and out near the yellow key.

I had the exit planned in my head. You goto a bridge and press a switch, lasers are fired to destroy a generator in space and you exit the map.

Map will be submitted within the next week.

pcorf said:

Thanks for your comments. Its sort of a Star Wars inspired map.

I thought I recognised the textures used in there (particularly fifth ss). This project is looking really good so far.

Olympus said:

That map 30 is really cool. But it's totally unplayable; framerate slows down to a crawl when facing the center of the map.

here is a newer version of it, hopefully it is a bit better... splitted a lot of sectors and rebuilded with a different nodebuilded and tested on the maximum screen size allowed on zdoom. unfortunatly it still drop the framerate when it hit the 1500 actors, but not as bad as before, next time i'll try reducing the monsters spawner a bit (8 on uv may be excessive) if necessary.

here comes the updated link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r9b78zj009p1pwf

pcorf:
"No new textures except for those found in the Community Chest 4 texture pack. For those who don’t have it, there’s a download link provided below."
Community Chest 4 Texture pack and textures in cchest4.wad are two different things.
Looks like your map is not going to fit in rules, which is unfortunate because I enjoy your maps.

Joseph Lord said:

Here is map27, i think im gonna call it "Say Than(sounds like Satan right? Suspense". Really need testing players because is to big for my shit of computer (hopyfully i could open map30, i cant play it)

http://www.speedyshare.com/kXbQD/map27.wad

Downloaded and playtested it on Hurt Me Plenty with Zandronum 1.0

Technical:
The starting area has a switch which does not raise with the starting area floor, causing a HoM. easily patched by giving it the same tag as the starting area.

Gameplay:
Reminded me a lot of Chillax, which I didn't like.

The start caught me totally by surprise and there is no way to counter or prevent it. This creates a scenario where only a previous humiliation can help you, which I think is very bad for gameplay. Once I died and restarted, I had no particular trouble taking out the hellknights, although it was still a tough fight. After that, found me totally surrounded and outgunned, unable to make any headway in a pistol start. I died 5 times in a row within a minute or two, out of ammo or totally cornered.

I have no idea how the map continues further... I saw huge monsterclosets waiting in Doom Builder, full of rows and rows of monstrous, slaughterous, spam fodder. Something that didn't excite me.

This also comes down to personal taste, I rather be bagging for ammo and health fighting 3 mancubi, then spamming a BFG until 50 of them die.

Anyway, I hope that my humble bug report helps you fix that one naughty sector and good luck with the rest.

Sokoro said:

pcorf:
"No new textures except for those found in the Community Chest 4 texture pack. For those who don’t have it, there’s a download link provided below."
Community Chest 4 Texture pack and textures in cchest4.wad are two different things.
Looks like your map is not going to fit in rules, which is unfortunate because I enjoy your maps.

Well, if PCorf includes the textures in his map when he sends it in, I think we can make an exception. =)

Keeper of Jericho said:

Well, if PCorf includes the textures in his map when he sends it in, I think we can make an exception. =)

Was totally fooled to be thinking that cchest4.wad contained the exactly same textures as cc4-tex.wad. I feel like I've totally wasted my time now.

There is nothing I can do with this map unless I retexture it completely. :( 99% of the map needs to be retextured now and its not going to look as good.

Well, I'll just make an all new MAP03 instead using textures from cc4-tex.wad, not cchest4.wad. Its quicker to make a new map instead of retexturing a map and making it look terrible.

Uuuh... I really hope that one, huge outdoor area can be labeled as a single room. I got only a remote cave that is labeled as a secret, and the middle section is the means of entering and exiting the area via teleport. No doors at all, so I guess it is still in limits.

Any case, it's almost finished. I only need to do more detailing, ammo and enemy placement
And an oversight of the area itself.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs1siyjhtvy3f0j/outdoorarea.jpg

Map 15- Hit N Run is completed, I've also finished working on the difficulty settings (easy is lame).
A small map with alot of secrets, your only weapons are berserk fist, pistol and secret bfg&2 cell charges (I bet you'll need them on UV).
I UV maxed the map in like 7 minutes since I barely play fist maps.

Here's the download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sl25clpr3bjbg24

If It's too easy on uv I'll use barons instead of hell knights.
It's much easier to kill hell knights with fists.

"Hit N Run" is a very fun fist fight! The Cyberdemon seemed impractical to kill at first, until I discovered more secrets! Very nice. I even found the secret exit without cheating. =P Very fun map. Short, but to the point.

"Say Than Suspense" is a really massive slaughtermap. From what I've seen, the hardest part about this map is the start. Once you manage to jump off the ledge into the pits below, however, it should be possible to start working your way back up. There'll have to be some beta testing later, of course, but my biggest suggestion would be to provide some more radiation suits, and to give the player his arsenal at the start. Otherwise, this one will be one for the die hards only. Still, I did like it, very enjoyable architecture, and the battle outside is hectic.

Keeper of Jericho said:

"Hit N Run" is a very fun fist fight! The Cyberdemon seemed impractical to kill at first, until I discovered more secrets! Very nice. I even found the secret exit without cheating. =P Very fun map. Short, but to the point.

"Say Than Suspense" is a really massive slaughtermap. From what I've seen, the hardest part about this map is the start. Once you manage to jump off the ledge into the pits below, however, it should be possible to start working your way back up. There'll have to be some beta testing later, of course, but my biggest suggestion would be to provide some more radiation suits, and to give the player his arsenal at the start. Otherwise, this one will be one for the die hards only. Still, I did like it, very enjoyable architecture, and the battle outside is hectic.

The cyberdemon's purpose is to make sure that in order to uv max the map certain secrets have to be found.
I'll rarely be active in the forums now because I'm recuitted to the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) next tuesday (I'll barely map for 3 years lol) and I'll probably be at home once in two weekends (and rarely every weekend) in the first six months.
So in case that I'll have to fix anything in my maps later on I'll do it whenever I can.
The only things found by map analysis in my maps are missing textures of raising sectors with monsters (typical trap).

ForeverVile:
When you UV-Max a map then it is required to find all secrets in order to make the demo valid. No need for the cyberdemon... !
Also all maps should be playable when player do not find any secrets.

Joseph Lord:
This is not Slaughterfest 2012. Are you sure you posted in correct thread? :)

Sokoro said:

ForeverVile:
When you UV-Max a map then it is required to find all secrets in order to make the demo valid. No need for the cyberdemon... !
Also all maps should be playable when player do not find any secrets.

Joseph Lord:
This is not Slaughterfest 2012. Are you sure you posted in correct thread? :)

I know, I meant that I wanted it to make it impossible to get 100% kills without finding all the secrets (no one gonna kill the cyberdemon with fists).
It could be boring if there were a bunch of revenants/hell knights instead of the cyberdemon so I've placed a it on UV, don't forget that there are only two bfg shots for the whole map so most of the map requires fists.

There's always those crazy shmucks who goes Tyson, though. But as UV, it's optional. :)

Eonfge said:

Seems interesting so far. I see some comparisons with my own map because it follows the same 5 rooms limit, but it does seem to be an interesting area fight.

Well, yes, didn't exactly know this until I looked previous images of yours. I hate being a copycat, y'know.
As for fight, I had something more... intensifying in my mind. Namely, some sort remake of Hunted. ;) Except viles can roam the area, if those fucks even can, and on those ledges are some imps, knights or revenants to pepper player. Not many, but I want keep players on toes. And ammo's generous, plus the whole area isn't totally limited, avoid enemies, flip switches few times, snatch the key and get the hell outta here.
That's my general strategy on here. And hopefully I don't fuck up the (good) concept. D:

Keeper of Jericho said:

I was really hoping we could get maps with more engaging gameplay than slaughtermaps. I mean don't get me wrong, I still play a couple of slaughtermaps every now and then. I just think it gets really tedious to play a whole set of them if you know what I mean.

Agentbromsnor said:

I was really hoping we could get maps with more engaging gameplay than slaughtermaps. I mean don't get me wrong, I still play a couple of slaughtermaps every now and then. I just think it gets really tedious to play a whole set of them if you know what I mean.

The Mutiny and Hit N Run aren't slaughter maps :D

Agentbromsnor said:

seconded that.

just played Joseph Lord map, well, the architecture is really stunning, you have done a great job. however i really can't enjoi slaughtermaps... they are too much for me, and unfortunatly i found the slaughtermap genre pretty senseless imho (unless done in co-op).

anyway there is a game breaking bug there:

you can pass trou this window in the chamber where the spidermasterminds faces the cyberdemon, doing so you skip a large part of the map, and returning in my way i found myself trapped in a illusio-pit not raised, also i can't manage to reach the red key.

ForeverVile: yep, the Mutiny it's a kind of extreme survival, much less monsters and very low ammo. hit n run is the next to try :S