Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Quick question, are these allowed?

The room inside is a secret. (and yes, I am using Doom 2 textures for an outline.) The hallway loops into the same room so I would assume no harm, no foul right?

Bad news, gents. My computer crashed, and I can no longer work on my map.

So I am forced to withdraw my map from the project, until I figure out how to fix the issue, if at all possible. That being said, if anyone wants my spot, it's all yours.

As Shadow Dweller has dropped out and I let you all down once before (and have a 5-room idea all set up in my head for some reason) I'll take up his MAP26 slot, if nobody has any objections.

EDIT: Oops, just realised I'm after MAP26. Didn't realise (empty) was the mapper, rather than the slot status!

Cacowad said:

shadow: what a shame man, it was looking very good, hope you will fix that soon.

Thanks! Basically the issue is that I cant get the laptop to turn on, and I haven't the foggiest idea of what's causing it. Based on what I've tested, the hard drive appears to be fine, so there's a chance that I may be able to recover the data.

I'm almost finished with my map. I just have to add difficulty levels, ammo/health, and secrets. I'm actually quite satisfied with how it all came out.

Shadow Dweller said:

Thanks! Basically the issue is that I cant get the laptop to turn on, and I haven't the foggiest idea of what's causing it. Based on what I've tested, the hard drive appears to be fine, so there's a chance that I may be able to recover the data.

If the laptop literally won't turn on, you've got to make sure the battery is charged, then try without the battery (but on the mains power supply). If it still doesn't turn on after that, then the laptop's power supply unit is probably at fault. In the interim, I'd suggest plugging your HD into another computer and backing up everything of importance or interest and then taking your map slot back off of me so that your hard work isn't wasted by my oppurtunism!

The filled slot-roster shouldn't scare anyone away from mapping anyway, if people want to make a map, they're free to do so, and we'll just go beyond 32 then (or keep it for a sequel, lol =P ).

I feel for you Shadow Dweller. Once it happened to me that I made a bigger progress on a map which I had difficulties with, and then, without my asking and permission, the computer decided to show me da blue side. If it was a reality show, all the spectators could hear would've been constant cenzorship whistling.

Update: My map, 'Carnage Canyon' is in it's final stages. I have added Coop and Deathmatch game play. I have also added skill settings. I am currently working on balancing the skill settings. Its about 90% to 95% percent done.

This map proves to be bigger than expected with an average play-through clocking in at 30 minutes. With that said I suggest swapping the level with a later map that has turned out to be smaller than expected, probably switching with a map slotted somewhere between 15 and 25.

Because this map is large, it has taken me longer to play test it than expected, and I am really trying to fine tune it! :) You guys can expect to have a finished v3 of this map within one or two weeks.

Egregor said:

Update:

With that said I suggest swapping the level with a later map that has turned out to be smaller than expected, probably switching with a map slotted somewhere between 15 and 25.

Because this map is large, it has taken me longer to play test it than expected, and I am really trying to fine tune it! :) You guys can expect to have a finished v3 of this map within one or two weeks.

You can switch with my slot if you like, I'm map 29. Mine takes about ten minutes, (if that) so it would *******ely be more fitting in the 29 spot.

dachauncinator said:

You can switch with my slot if you like, I'm map 29. Mine takes about ten minutes, (if that) so it would *******ely be more fitting in the 29 spot.

Usually when I think slot 29 I think 'penultimate': Last but one in a series of things; second last. My map isn't grand enough, dark enough, or hard enough to really warrant that spot, though it sounds like neither is yours . . . Let's let Keeper of Jericho decide exactly what to do, as he is probably most familiar with all the map submissions. Thanks for the option though.

Well instead of the map slots being predetermined, they should be ranked in difficulty, I think. But then again, this seems more like a compilation wad than anything so...

UPDATE:
Valhalla V.1 [MAP23]

Yes, my map will be called 'Valhalla'.

First version is finally complete. I test played it on all difficulties and it seems to play pretty smoothly. The map shouldn't take longer than six or seven minutes to beat. As for the secrets, they're pretty tricky to get, but overall the map turned out exactly as I had envisioned. However, I still have to a pick out an appropriate music track to go with this level and I need some feedback on difficulty settings/health/ammo.

I'm thinking of maybe making it a bit more harder on UV but than again maybe that's just me.

Textures from the 5rtxt.wad are not implemented into my WAD because I didn't really need to; I just dragged both 5rtxt.wad and MAP23.wad into prboom and it worked just fine.

dachauncinator said:

Well instead of the map slots being predetermined, they should be ranked in difficulty, I think. But then again, this seems more like a compilation wad than anything so...

One must be able to estimate how difficult a particular slot is.

richter3456 said:

By judging that screen, design looks decent, but I think you should try make some lighting.

Anyway, loading now.

.:edit:.
And played through the UV. Quite decent in architecture, but could use bit more lighting, maybe wee bit easy on UV, but I still took damage, and had some (stupid) deaths. Only thing that needs fixing is that mancubus stuck in that tower (the one who looks towards the red key.)

^Thanks for the feedback. I'll fix up the lighting and I know what you mean by it being a bit easy for UV and I had the same feeling, but I just needed someone else's opinion. Anyway, that Mancubus is really getting on my nerves. I had to edit that spot in the tower quite a few times to make sure it doesn't get stuck; than again, it might be the ceiling that's too low. Whatever it is, I'll get around to fixing it.

EDIT: I'm also considering redoing the yellow key area and making it a bit more larger and complex. I'll admit that I got a bit lazy and uninspired when I made that room.

Progress update for Nabataea: finished the exit part, which wraps up room 2. Now I need to make the rooms where you get the keys so you can get to the exit. Slowly marching ever onward towards completion.

Screenshot to wet the appetite:

Let's finish our maps!

How fast do I need to hurry?

Cell said:

How fast do I need to hurry?

Well, there's no deadline, but on the other hand I don't want this to turn into a second Community Chest 4. =P I'd like to have this project done before 2013 is over, at the very least. So just don't take eons to finish your map and it'll be fine, but you don't have to hurry it either. Map at a pace you feel comfortable at, but don't take years, is what I'm saying. ^^"

Keeper of Jericho said:

Well, there's no deadline, but on the other hand I don't want this to turn into a second Community Chest 4. =P I'd like to have this project done before 2013 is over, at the very least. So just don't take eons to finish your map and it'll be fine, but you don't have to hurry it either. Map at a pace you feel comfortable at, but don't take years, is what I'm saying. ^^"

Haha :D I still do remember my worst progressing map taking nearly 7 months to be "completed" from scratch. And so, it was even rejected to play important roles, though it still can be found on a slot #33 :D

Cell said:

Haha :D I still do remember my worst progressing map taking nearly 7 months to be "completed" from scratch.

Heh. I never understood such a thing. Maybe my maps are actually too short and underdetailed? :P

since we still have so much time, please tell me if anyone have suggestions about my maps.

Scypek2 said:

Heh. I never understood such a thing. Maybe my maps are actually too short and underdetailed? :P

since we still have so much time, please tell me if anyone have suggestions about my maps.

Show them to me in PM, I'm too lazy to search for things in the meantime.

Update: My map, 'Carnage Canyon' is STILL in it's final stages. I am currently working on balancing the skill settings. Its about 99% percent done. I basically just need to call it done, and then be satisfied with it.

How are the other maps going? Are people still mapping for this?

^Haha, I was thinking the same. Anyway, I've been slacking off recently but I have completed the map. I'm pretty much at the same stage as Egregor where I have to call it done and be satisfied with it. Also gotta play through it a bit more to see if I got ammo balance.

Slacking.

I have done some minor updates now and then, just upping the overall detailing. Nothing major except redo of the central area in red key area, though.

Makes me wonder... Are mazes even allowed? I think there's bit more to brainstorm...
(in case you don't know of my map, the red key area is a crude maze of sorts.)

I'm still progressing like a drunk slug stabbed in the back.