Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Cacowad said:

edit: while using zdoom will not cause any error to occur, prboom 2.5.0 don't want to work... if i launch it from DB2 return this error message : "W_InitCache: OpenFile for memorymapping failed (lesterror 13)". what that mean?

I have no idea what causes this. I downloaded prBoom 2.5.0 myself and used it stand-alone and as tester in Doom Builder 2, and both times I didn't get any errors while running my map with the texture pack. Anybody else have a clue as to what's happening?

That aside, the screenshots are looking great. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Looking good there, Dragonsbrethren. ^^ From the screens people've shown so far, I think we'll be having some really nice maps here. Do you have a title and a map slot in mind yet for your map?

Thanks. I haven't really thought about either the slot or name yet yet. The difficulty's probably a bit on the easy side for what most players here are used to, so it can get placed where ever it fits best.

Agentbromsnor said:

I think I'm gonna call my map The Overkill, and if nobody else wants it, I don't mind opening up the mappack at map01.

I see no reason to object if nobody else wants that slot.

As for other news, I'm going to call my map "Nabataea" and put it in slot 10.

Keeper of Jericho said:

I see no reason to object if nobody else wants that slot.

As for other news, I'm going to call my map "Nabataea" and put it in slot 10.

Alright, cool! :)

Dragonsbrethren said:

Just emailed you a near-final version of my map. I might want to do another; haven't decided yet.

Got it. Played it. Loved it. =) You're certainly within the five room limit. Fun base map, it really gave me a 'Knee-Deep in the Dead' feel. I think it would suit anywhere on the later half of episode 1.

I'm about to finish my map soon, most of the gameplay is ready, I'm trying to make sure that there's enough ammo withot relying too much on infighting and then I'll have to set difficulty settings.
My map is kinda small and it includes a combination of some tough and a bit annoying ambushes.
Fortunately, the player will have an unexpected and a bit risky help in the main room.

Here's how it looks in db2, not including the monster closets.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o751/ForeverViLe/TheMutinylayout_zps385b0916.jpg
The 2 corners are traps of "frozen" revenants&arch viles there's no door there, only floor which is lowered by a switch.
There are 4 rooms: main room, red key room, blue key room and the yellow key-exit room, the rest of the map incliudes monster closets, scenary and the secrets.

Difficulty settings for my map are almost done, UV is done, when I played the whole map on UV I had to rely on infighting to weaken two cyberdemons and help me save important 2 or 3 bfg shots.
The two secrets are megasphere&invuernerabilty so the number of rockets used to kill some revenants&arch viles should be the same even without these secrets.
The map can be finished from pistol start but I'll add some extra ammo just to make sure that the map can be done without too many saves ( since you have to use the ammo wisely).
Normal and easy should be ready soon.
P.S: I'd like to make an e1 map aswell.

Cacowad said:

too bad that i am only at the third room... i'll speed up a bit.

There's no rush, take your time. ;) I'm only on my second room so far. But it's quite large, so it requires a lot of work.

I'm trying out some new concepts in "Nabataea". One of the things I've always had some difficulty with in my maps is playing with different heights. For decoration that was never a problem, of course, but I mean different heights that influence gameplay. So that's what I'm experimenting with now.

This is going to sound stupid, but I don't know how to implement difficulty levels. I've never done that before in any of my maps, and there aren't any tutorials that cover it so... How do I do it?

A side note: my map now has custom music (midi), and I'm at my last room.

Agentbromsnor said:

This is going to sound stupid, but I don't know how to implement difficulty levels. I've never done that before in any of my maps, and there aren't any tutorials that cover it so... How do I do it?

A side note: my map now has custom music (midi), and I'm at my last room.

Whenever you place a monster/weapon/ammo in your map while using db2 there are two groups: things (monsters, player starts, decorations etc) in the left and settings in the right- easy, normal, hard (uv, deaf and multiplayer.

When I work on the difficulty settings I always start with UV and once I'm done I'm working on normal&easy, normal will usually be a little bit easier compared to whatever I used on UV and easy is easy (for example instead of 4 teleporting pain elementals on uv there are lost souls on easy.

ForeverViLe said:

Whenever you place a monster/weapon/ammo in your map while using db2 there are two groups: things (monsters, player starts, decorations etc) in the left and settings in the right- easy, normal, hard (uv, deaf and multiplayer.

When I work on the difficulty settings I always start with UV and once I'm done I'm working on normal&easy, normal will usually be a little bit easier compared to whatever I used on UV and easy is easy (for example instead of 4 teleporting pain elementals on uv there are lost souls on easy.

Derp. Can't believed I missed that all this time, haha. Thanks.

ForeverViLe said:

umm... i always do exactly the opposite i start from my skill level (easy, i think i am not a really good player) then i go to normal, and then i boost it up to uv... once finished i need all the feedback the testers can offer (my playtesters are really bad at fps :| i can't count on they for the uv difficulty... ).

Map 13- The Mutiny is completed.
I usually start on UV because I can playtest my own maps, My maps aren't difficult like sunder or hr2, they are average in the difficulty, oh well once you know what's the strategy to beat the map is so It's easier.

What are we doing in terms of music by the way? I already have a custom midi track playing in my map, but I don't know if everybody has a nice midi lying around somewhere.

Keeper of Jericho, if you like, I can ask TheMetal4All (the guy who makes most of the midi's for my maps) to make the tracks for this mappack?

Agentbromsnor said:

What are we doing in terms of music by the way?

Everybody's free to submit their own custom music if they want to, or tell me what Doom-track they want for their map in case they don't want custom music. For my own map, for example, I'm using a track composed by pcorf, used in map 10 of "Whispers of Satan".

ForeverViLe said:

P.S: I'd like to make an e1 map aswell.

Go right ahead. ^_^

ForeverViLe said:

@Keeper of Jericho
I've sent an email with my map hopefully that it will work without any issues.

I got it. Played it, seems like quite a tough map, really liked it. As far as bugs and errors go, I'm no testplayer, but I'm sure we'll filter them out once the entire wad goes beta. Nice work!

I've done my bonus level! I'll post it tomorrow. It's definitely special somehow and it has only three... two rooms. Not counting secrets.

I wish it wasn't so difficult to make another map :D I ran out of ideas :D
I hope that I'll find a good idea for my second map soon.

ForeverViLe said:

I wish it wasn't so difficult to make another map :D I ran out of ideas :D
I hope that I'll find a good idea for my second map soon.

I know how you feel. In terms of creativity, I run dry pretty quickly as well making Doom maps. Sometimes though I just start drawing lines and making symmetrical or a-symmetrical shapes, and that can spark some creativity in some occasions.