Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Heretic level: Monastery of the damned

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:30. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Boared
Warming Up

I would like to have some feedback on this heretic level before I send it to newstuff. I tested it with zdoom (I did not use zdoom specific things) and it runs on E1M1.

Screenies:
http://i.imgur.com/SWzot.png
http://i.imgur.com/ERE7a.png
http://i.imgur.com/Suly9.png

Downloadlink:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16990

Thanks!

Last edited by Boared on 11-11-12 at 13:05

Old Post 10-20-12 10:58 #
Boared is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

Screenshots look great and from what I can see in them your design choices give Heretic justice, I'll try give this a run a bit later.

Old Post 10-20-12 11:06 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vermil

An excellent map;

My only nitpicks would be that some ammo was a little hard to see in the dark, though that was perhaps because I had to go looking for it, as I opened the door to the Green Door and unleashed the monsters behind it, but then didn't go around the corner to find the ammo in front of the Green Door, until I had the Green Key. Which left me a bit short of ammo for the first part of the map.

The Maulotaur and Lich seemed redundant; I'd cut the former out and replace the later with a few lesser monsters?

The start area seems like the hardest part of the map, mainly because of the mass of Gargoyles; maybe reduce their numbers a bit or make half of them only come in once the player returns to the area with the green key?

Last edited by Vermil on 10-20-12 at 11:59

Old Post 10-20-12 11:47 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
walter confalonieri

from shots looks really cool!

Old Post 10-20-12 17:19 #
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sokoro

I must admit that I cheated through this, with ressurect(3x) command and powered weapons. I found 7/9 secrets without use of full map cheat.
Visuals were flawless. Trick to kill the maulotar in the elevator would be to keep the tome of power for the fight and then use it in conbination with Gauntlets of the Necromancer.
It was not hard to see ammunition for me, cause I use custom Brightmaps.pk3 which make some ammunition types completly bright and some partialy bright.

Old Post 10-21-12 20:17 #
Sokoro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BlazingPhoenix
I was KingofFlames

The weredragon right at the beginning with the crossbow seems pretty ridiculous. :/

Old Post 10-21-12 21:05 #
BlazingPhoenix is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Boared
Warming Up

Thanks for the feedback guys!

- I will tune down the start of the map so it will be a little more forgiving.
- I will also look at the maulotaur and the lich and will probably replace them with something a little less tough.
- I will also tune the ammo balance so you won't be screwed if you don't go the 'right' way.

Old Post 10-21-12 21:18 #
Boared is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

This was a solid map!

Perfect detailing, and the level design + gameplay brought forth a sense of tension that I rarely see in Heretic (or even Doom for that matter). Great stuff!

Old Post 10-26-12 13:02 #
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
walter confalonieri

just played some days ago on hereticp dos port... i really the cool detail in this map but it looked too difficult for my taste.....

Old Post 10-26-12 18:08 #
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

I finished the level on skill 4, no saves and no cheats, missing only one monster, three secrets, and three items. I would have searched for them if there were a way to get down from the final area to the rest of the level.

Very nice architecture and detailing, I'm glad to see that more and more people show how to use Heretic's texture set well. Combat situations were intense until I found the hellstaff, but never unfair, it was always possible to strategically fall back or hurry forward to grab some health potions while the opposition whittled itself down a bit with infighting. I only had to use one quartz flask, one tome of power, and one morph ovum.

The difficulty was the highest at the start of the map, yes. It remained tense for me for a while because I didn't find the dragon claw until I came back from the hunt for the yellow key, while it seems like I could have gotten it earlier if I had paid more attention. Once I got the dragon claw, finding escape paths became a lot less important; and once the hellstaff was acquired, the opposition could be steamrolled with ease.

Boared said:
I did not use zdoom specific things

You could put a little MAPINFO lump, though, so that in the automap it doesn't say "THE DOCKS".

Old Post 10-27-12 15:48 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Boared
Warming Up

This level is now available on idgames: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16990

Next up:

Currently working on a level for HYMN, the heretic community project (although I did not anounce anything yet ;) )

Still working on my doom 2 megawad, will resume work after the heretic break.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...project-boared/

Cheers!

Old Post 11-10-12 09:57 #
Egregor

Boared said:
Currently working on a level for HYMN, the heretic community project (although I did not anounce anything yet ;) )
[/B]

Sweet! I'll add you to the roster. If your new level is anything like this one it will make addition to the community map set.

Old Post 11-11-12 12:54 #
Egregor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cacowad

sweet imp! this is a good map! i played in the hmp equivalent, i always forget to use the items so i died two times by little mistakes (never let a ghost knigth be behind you), i really like how you placed the various items/keys/places. good work ;)

Old Post 11-12-12 10:01 #
Cacowad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote