User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Squishy's Monster Bag For Oblige 2.0 [Compatability Fix]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:43.   
Squishybrick
Banned

I know I previously promised an "action-related" doom mod, and I have been working on a mod called "action-doom", not to be confused with a mod out there that's already called that.. (Should probably work on the name)..

But I'm not here to talk about that, I'm here to talk about how I've finally decided to tinker with my prized golden creation, "Monster Bag", and I'm sharing it with doomworld, to see what they think about it..

The Zdoom community just couldn't stop spitting on it,
but maybe you guys might think it's cool!

If you do, I'll do everything I can to make any changes you want to make it better for you.

I was thinking of a way to make monster bag easier to work with oblige without having to spend 8 hours writing lua code to get all the monsters to spawn in the game..

So after a long time of tinkering and brain-busting, I finally figured out a way to increase the compatibility, so you would only need one file to make it compatible with ANY version of oblige!

The fix was sort of a shot in the dark, but while I was at it,
I also un-skulltag-ified the mod, so now it works with zdoom perfectly, with no trouble.

I also balanced out the oblige's spawn code for monsters.. (Kinda)
Instead of individually coding the monsters, oblige now codes dimensional monsters as if they were regular monsters.. Mancubuses will spawn as they do regularly.. Slightly rarely.. Imps will be common, archviles will spawn as dimensional masters, ect ect!

The only problem being with 4.26, the starting weapon is outside of the starting ROOM, and is usually surrounded by monsters, so you
might want to play with the more-stable 3.57 version.

If you want info on the mod itself, go here,
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28530
(Detailed info on the game is contained in the spoiler near the bottom of the 1st post)

Also, because of the compatibility tweaks, you can even just plug this mod right in any regular Doom2 wad, and play monster bag combined with doom 2! (though you'd never get any of the special weapons, so the only difference would be the challenge)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Grab it and play it to see what you think!

http://www.2shared.com/file/e-kuACp...r_Bag_20_P.html

I appreciate any feedback you give..

To any of those who previously hated this wad for how horrible you thought it was.. I'm cooking up a little something special for you..

A true sequel to my monster bag.. And not the "elemental" one that was trashed, this one's called "Monster Bag 2: Squishy's Revenge"..

And the revenge, will be sweet as nectar..

All I can say about this mod, is that instead of it having 120 different monsters like in this mod..

This one.. Will have FIVE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY EIGHT OF THEM..
Let's see you complain about THAT! MWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!

I will set a record for largest number of varied doom monsters there
has ever been.. THEN where will your ruthless criticism take you, hm?..

You know who you are, and you know me, and you know I'm just crazy enough to actually do it.. So go ahead and be snarky and pick on me while you still can, because the day of reckoning is upon you. I will have recognition and appreciation if it kills me, and you won't get in my way.

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 18:19

Old Post 10-24-12 10:54
Squishybrick is offline Profile || Click here to Send Squishybrick a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

That was dramatic. 8-0

It certainly sounds like an interesting idea. Now if only you could program aesthetics...

Old Post 10-24-12 11:12
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums...zpsfedc01cb.png

It probably doesn't make sense to you,
but being insane, is what keeps me sane.

And thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 12:01

Old Post 10-24-12 11:53
Squishybrick is offline Profile || Click here to Send Squishybrick a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katamori
Forum Staple

I prefer aesthetics but that's not always enough.

Tormentor667's Refinery remake proved this fact.

CYBERCRAFT: A cyberpunk RPG for LÍVE

Old Post 10-24-12 12:21
Katamori is offline Profile || Click here to Send Katamori a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

I believe everyone has an area in which they excel.. Something they do a little better than everyone else, and everyone's got a talent like that.. Everyone.. (some people just don't know it yet, or haven't discovered their talent)

My talent, is part of my passion..

Variation..

If there's two things I've wanted since I laid my eyes on doom, it was this..

1.More monsters
2.More monsters, fighting monsters..

And most of my mods revolve around these two interests..

"Monster bag", "social army", "summoner", "infinitearmy", and a few more of my projects are all built on that sole purpose, of expanding on
what I've wanted to do or see in doom..

It's always been awkward for me to share my work with others because noone ever seems to see the same thing as I do..

When I look at monster bag, I truly see a work of genius.. A work of art.. Had someone else made this mod, I would have praised them like a god..

To me, graphics mean absolutely nothing.. I was raised on super nintendo, DOS, and cartoon network, back when it was cool..

Not Xbox 360, Steam, and MTV..

I guess I'm just from a different generation.. But I'm still holding out for someone to actually genuinely appreciate my work for what I made it for.

And when that day comes, I might, just might, agree to assimilate..

Old Post 10-24-12 13:04
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

So is this just another monster randomizer or can we actually control what pops up? If you make that possible, this would be much better. I find that these monster randomizer mods end up making doom easier actually since everything will infight with everything else when no two monsters in the level are the same.

Old Post 10-24-12 13:24
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Click here to Send General Rainbow Bacon a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

Well, I prevent infighting by giving them species..

(Also, The link I gave has a link to a previous version where you CAN pick if, and how much each individual monster appears in the maps.)

Each dimensional monsters has it's own respective species..

Hyper, tough, pain, death, glitch, and chrono.

One dimensional species will tend to fight with other dimensions,
true, but given the extent of the power of these varieties of
monsters, infighting may INCREASE the difficulty for you..

Especially if.. Say.. A Glitch elemental got caught in a fight
with a pain baron.. You would have a heck of a time cleaning
up their mess if you didn't break up the fight fast.

Not to mention, the ultimate boss of the wad, the dimensional
master, has only one true weakness, and that is infighting..

If you make him aim his "final ball" attack at you through a
tough monster of any type, it will reflect the ball back at him,
dealing massive damage, or more likely, killing him.. If there's not
one around, you can try to survive until he whips up some tough
souls, then try to get him to aim a shot through them..

For a person who isn't a natural/hardcore gamer, this may seem extremely tedious or close to impossible..

The guy has 50000 health.. Anyone familiar with doom will instantly recognize, that's a SH*T-TON of health.

I'm not trying to brag, but for anyone who claims the dimensional master is OP.. I can honestly say I've literally killed dozens of them, in a single oblige map.. And it didn't take me more than 10 minutes to kill each one.

Have you ever watched some dude do a review for a game that's normally really easy, but the dude is losing all the time, and you're thinking "Wow, how can anyone be that bad?".. That's how I feel when I used to hear people like chris complain about too many chaingunners pinning him in the spawn room in oblige sometimes..

If you're like me and you've literally gotten tired of killing your 900th cyberdemon with a supershotgun, you might understand where I'm coming from. (coopbuildm ftw)

But on the other side of the argument, the person might be thinking "Wow, I wonder how many hours that person wasted not having a life to get that skilled? And for what? So he can brag on the internet?"

The way I see it, we're all a pro on something, and a noob on something else.. It just depends on what we like to do.

Going to sleep now, so probably won't make any instant-responces till 4 pm, or later.. Not sure what I was thinking expecting a lot of feedback in the wee hours of the night anyway. X D

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 13:55

Old Post 10-24-12 13:43
General Rainbow Bacon

That does sound like a good mod actually. 637 monsters you say? I'd like to see them all. Yeah, I kill a lot of cybs with the supershotgun. lol.

I think after you release this mod, you should release the decorate stuff for these new monster varieties so they can be used in wads. A lot of people may want to use them, hint hint.

Old Post 10-24-12 14:39
General Rainbow Bacon is offline Profile || Click here to Send General Rainbow Bacon a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

I'm not a big fan of copying any modder's work..
(Which is why I prefer using recolors instead of
custom sprites)

If someone wants to take the time to take apart my mod
and steal something, they can go ahead..

But my mods are about simplicity and function..

There's not much to steal, and whoever did
steal it and used part of it in their work would
just get berated by someone who didn't like
my work from the start.

I mean, that's almost like inviting someone to pick on you..

Oh wait..

Ooooh.. Oh, ha ha, I get it.. The "hint hint".

Sarcasm.. Yeah, Jokes on me, I guess.. You're so clever..

As if picking on someone because you think their work sucks is
totally mature and O.K, right?.. hint, hint.

Pleasant feedback as always, keep it coming.
Was sorta trying to look for people talking about how
the wad feels, and if it needed something, balance-wize.. (Other than looks, the least important part of any game)

Since oblige codes the dimensional monsters directly as it codes doom
monsters, two things happen that make this update a big step up from
the last..

1. No more "giant pile of only 1 kind of dimensional monster"
2. Adjusting the difficulty, actually effects the difficulty of the
mod, to an extent, since less mancubuses, means less dimensional ones, and less barons, means less dimensional barens, ect ect.
3. Because of the added randomizer, every level is different, even the same one! Got unlucky with a death gunner?.. Might not be so unlucky next time!

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 17:49

Old Post 10-24-12 17:31
General Rainbow Bacon

No dude, I wasn't making fun of you. I actually do like this idea.

Old Post 10-24-12 17:42
Squishybrick
Banned

Typing out, even copy-pasting the decorate for all 588 monsters would be a waste of time..

I will have a detailed page on what each monster is, and what they do..

If you want details on that, here they are..

Prefixes.. In other words, mixing dimensions with eachother..

Here's a part directly copy-pasted from my brainstorming log
I kept when I was originally thinking of this idea..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any element with + Element = PREFIX MONSTERS! 637 of them!

Features can include spike color, eye color, and/or gun or uniform color, depending on monster.

(Normal) Regular (One of it's most prominent features is removed to default)
(Death) Dangerous (Has black features, but main skin is regular, does 3-4x damage)
(Hyper) Fast (Has green features, runs and attacks 1.5x faster)
(Tough) Hardy (Has red features, 1.5x health)
(Pain) Vengeful (Has blue features, turns into a baby version when killed)
(Glitch) Partially Glitched (Has glitch features, still glitches, but slightly less)
(Chrono) Matrix (Has Orange features, 2/3 mass, 1.2x HP and is 1.2x faster, and has immunity to time-stop)

In the mod, main element monsters will now drop 3 marbles of ammo, and prefixed monsters will drop one marble of
the two elements. Prefixed monsters of the same element will drop 5 marbles of ammo.

Example: Imp

________ + Normal

(Normal)
Vanilla Imp (Has immunity to ALL dimensional weapons, and can only be hurt by the plasma gun/rifle)
Dangerous Imp (Randomly does 1 or 4x damage, but projectile looks normal)
Fast Imp (Runs and attacks 1.5x faster)
Hardy Imp (1.5x health)
Vengeful Imp (Creates pain-clones when he dies)
Partially Glitched Imp (Only glitches slightly)
Matrix Imp (Fires the chrono projectile, but has no other attributes)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

On the same notepad file, I also have data for every single type of dimensional variant of doomimp, getting mixed with eachother..

Here's the rough math..

7 dimensions, counting "normal/vanilla"
7 types per dimensional variant.
12 editable doom monsters..

one imp x 7 variants x 7 prefixed variants = 49

49 different variantes in all, PER doom monster (49x12) = 588

Oh wait.. 588?.. Hm.. I accidentally thought there were 13
doom monster types I had made into variants at one point.

Oh well.. I guess that only makes it 588 different monsters, then..

Pretty sure that's still a record, but lol at my math-fail.

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 18:17

Old Post 10-24-12 17:52
General Rainbow Bacon

Okay, that sounds good. How do you get the mod to work? I loaded the lua into the "games" folder and ran oblige, but I just got a normal level with nothing new.

Old Post 10-24-12 17:56
Squishybrick
Banned

Oh shoot.. I guess I should've put ZDL in the package like I
did last time..

Again, my bad, I'll fix that..

You have to make an oblige map after putting the modded lua in it,
then play that map, with the monster bag wad.

(If you play it without the wad, nothing will change, the wad is what changes the game.. As I explained, to increase compatability, I seperated the mod from oblige so they wouldn't be so heavily integrated, because spending 8 hours typing monster data in a lua
would easily turn into 8 weeks if I had to do it for 588 monsters
instead..)

You can use ZDL.. Or.. If you have some zdoom source port that
lets you play multiple wads somehow, use that if you want.

[Fixed package]

Enjoy.

Last edited by Squishybrick on 10-24-12 at 18:13

Old Post 10-24-12 18:04
Scypek2

I'm afraid I don't really understand the concept of "glitched monsters".

Old Post 10-25-12 19:37
Scypek2 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Scypek2 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

I'll explain.

Glitch is a species of monsters in my mod..

A glitch monster always has these main features..

1.They are recolored using a crazy mix of colors to
make them look like something wrong happened with your
graphics card when it tried to load them.

2.Their frames are "delicately" tinkered with to give them
the appearance of looking SEVERELY broken, twitching and
moving all over the place.

3.During any state, beit spawn, attack, moving, or even death,
most glitch monsters will randomly spray "glitch" around the level,
making them slightly dangerous because of this unpredictable
behavior.

A glitch monster is just that, a monster that, in every way, looks
like it has been severely glitched in the game.

The prefix glitch, for other monsters is slightly different.

Only a small feature of the monster is recolored with the "glitch color", and their frames are only slightly tinkered with.. But
no glitch prefixed monster will ever randomly spray glitch around.
(With the exception of a glitch prefixed glitch monster.. But pray
you never run into one of those)

I hope the sums things up for you.

Old Post 10-26-12 02:07
KiiiYiiiKiiiA

"Squishybrick's monster bag."

Heh. I may or may not like the mod itself, but damned if I don't love the title.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a neat idea.

And as mentioned, see if you can program aesthetics. :P

Old Post 10-26-12 06:33
KiiiYiiiKiiiA is offline Profile || Click here to Send KiiiYiiiKiiiA a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Squishybrick
Banned

I wouldn't call it an idea.. I mean, it's right there, it's made and packaged.

If it was just something I whipped up 2 minutes ago out of boredom,
or if it was something I hadn't made yet and wanted to pass it through with you guys before making it, then I'd call it an idea..

Or maybe that's how people see it..

I understand my work specifically does look like something a person
could do in less than a day.. But I never said I was really good at
making mods..

It makes me sound both arrogant, and nerdy for saying this, but I
have no better way of explaining it atm..

If the doom modding community were like the show "naruto"..
I'd be rock lee..

I don't do ACS, I don't do custom sprites/textures, I don't
big fancy involved maps with GL lighting and enhanced HUDS..

I do only one thing.. And I do it with all I can..

DECORATE.. If I want something done, I do it through decorate, every time.. Because of this, the stuff I make can look really crappy and low-quality.. But it's creative, and it's unique..

You want aesthetics?.. Go play doom 3, or halo, or COD..

This is a DOOM modding community.. .
DOOM... D-O-O-M.. You know, that game from the 90's?

Every modder is different.. Some modders just want
to scrap doom and turn it into something else completely..

Some modders just want to spray a little glitter on doom,
fix up it's hair, and give it a little make-up, but make
sure that it at least still somewhat looks like DOOM..

I'm at the bottom tier of this list.. I'm the one who doesn't
even want to touch doom's looks.. Not a single foreign texture
or sprite.. What I work with, is whatever DECORATE gives me
to work with.

Doom is my marble, and DECORATE is my chisel.

My kind barely exists.. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only
one of my kind left in any doom community ever.. I wouldn't
be surprised if there WERE others, but they were just scared
away or discouraged by the way everyone else makes mods..

But enough about that, I still am looking for any feedback on the
wad.. If none other than "aesthetics" is given, I have reason to beleive my work is actually acceptable by your terms, and that I've done a pretty great job concerning everything other than aesthetics..

In which case, I'm deeply honored by your responces, and I thank you for your feedback.

Old Post 10-26-12 07:44