Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > New map: Marbellous *RELEASED 11/01/2012*

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Saliva
Mini-Member

Download link removed because some bugs were discovered.

I've also uploaded it to the idgames archive and will be uploading it to map-factory.org later.

Some screenshots:

http://i48.tinypic.com/jr43fl.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/15rglk2.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/2d7alqd.png

Last edited by Saliva on 11-01-12 at 20:35

Old Post 10-24-12 21:09 #
Saliva is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
walter confalonieri

looks awesome...

Old Post 10-24-12 21:35 #
walter confalonieri is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Very nice design, I did notice a couple lines where you need to align but nothing serious.

Another note needs more gradients on some of the lighting check the screen.

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/7084/screenshotdoom201210241.png

I've added the desired changes on the right skylight but the one on the left has been left original try to avoid making lighting with sharp contrasts in light levels gradient transition enhances depth perception.

Old Post 10-24-12 21:44 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Saliva
Mini-Member

Thanks for the feedback. I normally use more gradient but they can't be synchronised when given the fire flicker special. I used that alot for the torches.

So for the sake of trying to keep the same level of detail throughout the map I decided to keep things simple.

I guess I could add some extra gradient here and there but that will cause a greater contrast with the simple torch lights though.

Old Post 10-24-12 21:53 #
Saliva is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Well it still looks great either way my suggestion was more in the tune polishing off your map.

Old Post 10-24-12 22:01 #
Pottus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
mouldy

very nice map, I can't really fault it. I played through on UV and ammo was a bit dry in places, but I generally found enough to scrape through.

Interesting design too, nice and varied. I also liked how the secrets weren't too obscure.

good stuff

Old Post 10-24-12 22:13 #
mouldy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tango

holy shit this looks beautiful

Old Post 10-25-12 00:06 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Foodles

That third screenshot looks amazing, the skylights and the lighting visually blew me away, definitley one of the best screenshots I've seen in a while

Old Post 10-25-12 00:22 #
Foodles is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Saliva
Mini-Member

Thanks for the comments. Glad you all like it. Anyone planning to test it in Co-op and DM?

Old Post 10-25-12 04:30 #
Dragonsbrethren

Pottus said:
I've added the desired changes on the right skylight but the one on the left has been left original try to avoid making lighting with sharp contrasts in light levels gradient transition enhances depth perception.

No. Gradients are overrated. Harsh lighting contrast is one of the things I love about Doom/id-style aesthetics. Gradients actually look worse to me. The only way to pull them off convincingly is in OpenGL ports with dynamic lights.

Old Post 10-25-12 04:38 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

saliva said:

Thanks for the comments. Glad you all like it. Anyone planning to test it in Co-op and DM?

I'm done for it tonight if you would like to PM me.

Preferably - Zandorum Settings - Survival 1 life - No item respawn cheers!

Dragonsbrethren said:

No. Gradients are overrated. Harsh lighting contrast is one of the things I love about Doom/id-style aesthetics. Gradients actually look worse to me. The only way to pull them off convincingly is in OpenGL ports with dynamic lights.

It's really a matter preference I suppose, I don't think any MAP can possibly satisfy the appetite of everyone. Perhaps using a more subtle approach towards aesthetics of this nature is in order, for example instead of 4 levels of gradients use one or two.

Old Post 10-25-12 05:25 #
Boared
Warming Up

Played it on HMP, plays nice, looks nice. The only little gripe I can think of is the final battle, it was a bit dull.

Nice work!

Old Post 10-25-12 08:42 #
Boared is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Saliva
Mini-Member

Pottus said:

I'm done for it tonight if you would like to PM me.

Preferably - Zandorum Settings - Survival 1 life - No item respawn cheers!

Well I'm from Belgium so there are different time zones. I'm quite busy with work and stuff so I don't think I'm able to play.

I'll test it myself when I've got some spare time.

EDIT: Don't bother testing the multiplayer. I already discovered a major bug that makes a certain area impossible to escape.

Last edited by Saliva on 10-25-12 at 21:01

Old Post 10-25-12 18:02 #
Sarcose
Mini-Member

I downloaded this because I want to play it, but I don't know when I'll be able to get around to doing so. The screenshots and small discussion here have convinced the heck out of me already.

Old Post 10-28-12 07:11 #
Sarcose is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Sarcose said:
I downloaded this because I want to play it, but I don't know when I'll be able to get around to doing so. The screenshots and small discussion here have convinced the heck out of me already.

It is indeed a really well constructed map, 32 maps of this style/quality would make a top notch megawad no doubt.

Old Post 10-28-12 07:33 #
Saliva
Mini-Member

Thanks :-) Well I'm not planning a megawad since Doom II: Annie needs to be finished but Marbellous 2 did cross my mind a couple of times ;-)

Old Post 10-28-12 12:45 #
Sokoro

Will you share final version with us? I do not see any download link in this thread.

Old Post 10-29-12 18:46 #
Sokoro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Saliva
Mini-Member

Sokoro said:
Will you share final version with us? I do not see any download link in this thread.

Ofcourse :)
I will upload the map to the idgames archive and my moddb page
(www.moddb.com/members/saliva) this Thursday.

Old Post 10-30-12 16:52 #
Saliva
Mini-Member

The map is finished! Download link in the first post. Enjoy!

Old Post 11-01-12 16:35 #
Pottus
Forum Regular

Good job! I'll post my review shortly.

Old Post 11-01-12 17:16 #
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I played this in prboom-plus with -complevel 2 and noticed a few floating items:
[1]
[2]
Moving them a little farther away from the walls should fix this I think. There might be more as I haven't finished the map yet.
Also some hanging corpses near the sector 625 were blocking me.

It is highly recommended to test limit-removing maps in prboom-plus. GZDoom's behaviour is very different from "true" LR ports so you may miss some critical bugs by doing all the testing with it.

Old Post 11-01-12 18:31 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Saliva
Mini-Member

Damn. I could've used you in the beta testing stage :) Well I'll run a test with a couple more ports and see what can be done about it.

Unfortunately I already uploaded it ro the idgames archive. It's still in incoming but I don't have permission to delete it.

Is there still a way to remove it before it gets reviewed?

EDIT: I just tested it with the settings you suggested. Indeed, when you use complevel 2 it generates those glitches. I ran a test with Doom95 a couple of days ago and it had the same problems.

I didn't pay attention to it because the level wasn't meant for vanilla Doom2 anyway.

It runs fine in PrBoom and Prboom+ without complevel2 though.

There's one thing that's a bit strange. Those potions in your first screenshot...Every one of them has the same distance from the wall, yet when I tested it only 2 were positioned wrong.

Last edited by Saliva on 11-01-12 at 19:51

Old Post 11-01-12 19:13 #