Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

SUP: Sodaholic's Useless Palettes

SUP stands for Sodaholic's Useless Palettes. I created two palette WADs for no reason. The first one is a palette that contains only the alpha version of Doom's colors, which are the same ones, but less of them. The other, probably more useful one is the PSX version's palette, which actually does things a bit differently. The invulnerability colors are slightly darker, and the radiation suit effect is stronger, as well as the main palette itself being different than PC Doom's palette.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/NBWULL1LDI/sup.zip

mod edit: Don't give your threads vague, useless titles. Fixed.
user response: :<

How did you get the PSX palette? They're not in the same format as in PC Doom and most other console ports and I haven't really looked yet in how the formats convert. (Apparently colors are coded on two bytes instead of three, but it is not the same encoding as the Doom 64 palettes; my investigation stopped there.)

But I'm pretty sure index 255 is black, and index 0 is transparent, based on the graphics I've browsed.

Specifically, the pain elemental flagrantly requires index 255 to be black:

Gez said:

How did you get the PSX palette?

I got it from here, and I don't know how he did it:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/56321-psx-doom-playpal/

I adjusted the palette to use PC Doom's index 0 and 255, since this is intended to be used with the PC Doom graphics. Another change I made was that the palette fades are done in 24 bit color instead of 16-bit color, so that it looks a bit better. I did keep the PSX version's fade amounts though, for authenticity.

I have figured it out. The palette colors are, of all things in ABGR format, more precisely like this:
A BBBBB GGGGG RRRRR
This makes a word that looks like this:
ABBBBBGG GGGRRRRR
And it is written in little-endian representation, so it ends up like this:
GGGRRRRR ABBBBBGG

A is 0 for transparent, 1 for opaque. In theory, any palette index could be transparent or opaque. Fortunately, the way the PLAYPAL was written, it is only ever palette index 0 which is transparent.

Where is JIMSDOOM.WAD? I've been looking all over my NTSC-U PSX Doom disk, and I cannot find it. The only WAD files I can find are MAP01.WAD to MAP59.WAD, and PSXDOOM.WAD, but no JIMSDOOM.WAD.

It actually is PSXDOOM.WAD. I found out that I had a Saturn ISO named as a PSX ISO. The content seems mostly the same.

Gez said:

It actually is PSXDOOM.WAD. I found out that I had a Saturn ISO named as a PSX ISO. The content seems mostly the same.

When I open it, a lot of the contents are pretty garbled. This is the only one that Slade 3 can open, so perhaps it's in the PC WAD format instead of the Jaguar format? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do to view the graphics?

Sodaholic said:

When I open it, a lot of the contents are pretty garbled. This is the only one that Slade 3 can open, so perhaps it's in the PC WAD format instead of the Jaguar format? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do to view the graphics?

The PSX IWAD (as well as the Saturn one) store compressed/encrypted lumps. I don't recall if anybody got around to reading/decoding those correctly yet. The compression used should be available in the dmutils package.