Katamori

"Somewhere in Time": vanilla megaWAD [REVISED, SEE FIRST POST!]

Would you try it?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you try it?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

I can playtest for you and record demos of my playthroughs, should be fun. I'm not going to complain about misalignments and stuff like that as I'm beginning to care less and less about them.

Thanks guys! Memfis, you don't have to deal with it seriously, jut play and tell me if you find something wrong. Anything.

MAP02: Brick Outpost is done! It was made during ~4 hours.

The screenshots look great, especially that city one. Also I really like how light gradients are used in Map21.
Also, nice to see that you might actually finish something. :)

Just wondering, but what ever happened to that CC4 map you were working on that I added a few rooms to? Did Pottus ever finish it?

I still have it actually, but I didn't feel like doing anymore for that project since I basically wasted hundreds of hours working on Temple Of Verdance for nothing.

You got an epic map out on your own which got a positive /newstuff review (says the author of said review) so that's got to be worth something :P
Also, go Katamori, go!

Still Phobus I built it for CC4 not to be released on it's own =) But I do appreciate the review.

Processingcontrol: with the today's aspect, that map seems cramped. I didn't plan the place of monsters.

Pottus: I think you should have mentioned at least that you won't continue that map. Anyway, I don't mind already.

Wow, even the creator of Brutal Doom likes my project, wow... :D

Thanks! Sadly, that map won't be Vanilla-compatible because of the massive overflow but PrBoom will be able to run it =)

PS for everyone: because Memfis was interested in that, I sent a beta version to volunteers. Have fun! =)

grouchbag said:

Okay,I got it.Will playtest later tonight.Thank you!

That is what I was finding there isn't much wrong with the game play but I kinda thought the progression seemed to not change enough each MAP was about as difficult as the last.

Vdaxzter said:

How is progress on this WAD?

I took a lot of break because I was busy, but recently I made some small builds. The most important changes are on MAP06 (which is close to finish - I'm gonna try to finish it during this week), MAP09, MAP18, MAP25 and MAP26.

There are 7 finished level, and 5 that are relatively close to the finish. I think if I could finish those, I'll release a public demo - 12 level is much enough =)

Don't worry, the project still lives!

...even though I didn't have much time to finish any maps. I'll try to do it today. Until then, I release a public pack of the finished levels!

The sky doesn't fit to level 5, 6 and 7 because those maps are in episode 3 originally. Anyway, the gameplay is the same.

Almost every changed were made that was recommended by the playtesters, and some more smaller ones too. Hope you enjoy!

http://rghost.net/42842458

Here's an FDA for all the maps. Died once because of berserk vs chaingun and suicided once. I guess my FDA speaks for itself. There are some mapping mistakes here and there that you will notice.

The hanging corpses in map03 that was blocking the player needs to be removed. It's also very easy, even on UV.

I used prboom+ complevel 2

The demo: http://www.mediafire.com/?ox0utcajwdpubuq

Thank you, dannebubinga! It was helpful, I made some little changes.

LOL I laughed hard when you was able to get the yellow key on MAP04 without going through the crates! What do you think, should I change that or would it be a good trick for speedrun? Same question to the locker chamber, where you could open the red one without passing through the door.

NP

Ye, you could get the key by SR50. You could keep it that way since the map is so short anyway. But I didn't like how the switches behing the locked doors was so easy to exploit. If you just get the red key, you could easily skip more than half of the map. It just screamed poor design if you know what I mean.

Of course, I know. I just asked because there's not always easy to feel the difference between shortcuts and mistaken plannings. =)

I don't really want to show much from the maps and the gameplay, until the finish, because plans can be changed quite easily.

Katamori said:

Also, vanilla Doom WADs work on all the source ports so everyone may try them. I think it may be another reason, why Scythe became so popular. =)

Speaking of working on all source ports, have you actually done any testing in vanilla Doom II or in source ports other than ZDoom? At a glance, map 2 has a MIDSPACE fence lowered into the floor, which looks ugly (if you want shorter fences, use shorter textures!), and map 3 has a secret area which is unopenable because sides 1 and 2 of the linedefs are backward. If you only test in ZDoom then it's going to be a de facto ZDoom PWAD whether you intend it to be or not. Please don't let this become another Hellcore. :)

Urban Space Cowboy said:

map 2 has a MIDSPACE fence lowered into the floor, which looks ugly (if you want shorter fences, use shorter textures!)

or, iirc, simply change the brightness on one side of the fence?

edit: I'm assuming you meant it was bleeding through the floor, if you were simply saying you dislike fences that use that texture then ignore this post -.-)

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Speaking of working on all source ports, have you actually done any testing in vanilla Doom II or in source ports other than ZDoom? At a glance, map 2 has a MIDSPACE fence lowered into the floor, which looks ugly (if you want shorter fences, use shorter textures!), and map 3 has a secret area which is unopenable because sides 1 and 2 of the linedefs are backward. If you only test in ZDoom then it's going to be a de facto ZDoom PWAD whether you intend it to be or not.

I test everything on Chocolate Doom. The WAD will be fully compatible with it.

The things you've mentioned are bugs; only mistakes from me. Don't worry, I've already noticed and fixed them. =)

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Please don't let this become another Hellcore. :)

What do you mean?