"Somewhere in Time": vanilla megaWAD [REVISED, SEE FIRST POST!]

Would you try it?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you try it?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

Katamori said:

I test everything on Chocolate Doom. The WAD will be fully compatible with it.

Okay!

Hellcore's a very nice WAD but has goshawful ZDoomisms everywhere because of inadequate cross-port testing. That's what I meant.

here's an fda. I agree with danne, too easy on UV, mostly because of the absurd amount of health laying everywhere. Also I found a few bugs that you may or may not know about already:

map01: you can skip some stuff by hitting a switch from the outside (see demo)
map04: you only need 1 key to finish because you can hit the exit switches from adjacent rooms
map07: it looks like you could get stuck if you wandered behind the BK room

Urban Space Cowboy, I know both Hellcore, I just couldn't understand the similarity you warned. =) don't worry, this WAD is tested properly! At least, according to the source port. :P

Ribbicks: Thank you! The mentioned map04 and map07 bugs were fixed since I watched dannebubinga's demo. That map01 mistake is funny: that map is so old (I made it 'bout 6 months ago) and I've never known about that. I'll fix it by putting the switch into the wall. =)

Difficulty will be fixed in the last phase. I'm not a good playtester, sadly. I don't want to screw around with it now.

valkiriforce said:

I haven't heard from this for a while and I was wonder how it was coming along? Great stuff going on, by the way!

Thanks! Well, sadly, since I moved my PC into the hostel, somehow, my "creativi-tank" is empty...I absolutely neither have time nor ideas nor mood. There's almost nothing I changed in the WAD since February.

However, I promised that I'll never give it up and I still keep it. Maybe I'll pause mapping for some weeks (maybe months - maybe even years...) and I'll continue it then.

Or not. Depends on a lot of things. MAP04 will be definitely finished because of its individual atmosphere.

Ah, well it's good to know you're determined to complete it regardless of mapper's block. Here's to hoping you break that mold.

Well,

dannebubinga said:

[...]stick to this idea and finish it. You've started thousands of project and just left them after some half-assed attempts. Just saying for your own best. Mapping will become much more enjoyable after you've released something, even if it kinda sucks.

So... =)

Looks awesome. Keep it up!

Maybe it needs some original music too.

I took a longer break with Doom mapping while I made experiments with game programming. Also, now I want to finish a map to MAYhem 2013, and I don't have much ideas for this project, so...I don't know...

SOme kind of release is gonna be made definitely one day - but I can't promise that the project will have 32 maps!

I realised that there was a lot of maps I've made for community projects but were never released. Since Somewhere in Time is gonna be the essential Katamori WAD, I think I can add them to this project!

MAP19: The Waste(d) Legion added! It was made in late August 2012 for a Doom2 MAP05 speedy remake contest.

Sorry, no screenshots now, 'cause I'm lazy to do them. But expect for a new release!

Okay guy, Mr. K. is back!

At the moment, I have enough enthusiasm again to create things, etc.! Also, because screenshots were very low-res (since they were made in Chocolate Doom), I decided to make a way stonger eyecandy than ever! With GZDoom!

MAP03: The Parking House, main building exterior

This map is gonna be a semi-remake of Katamori 1024 MAP04: No Parking. I still think that that map is better, I hope this map can reach a similar quality.

MAP04: System Shop, entrance

Inspired by cyberpunk, this map is gonna be a semi-peaceful fusion of mall, shpiing centre and UAC base. At least, I hope.

MAP06: Nukage Collector, road to the exit

It has an already finished prequel, but that was added to Doomworld Mega Project. So, here's the bigger sequel!

MAP11: Nukepolis, exterior

The fusion of two nuke-ish maps, inspired my Mr. Paddock and Lainos, supported with Guns'n'Roses music. The biggest map of ep1.

MAP12: Mining Tower, the tower and the starting base

Inspired by Eternal. Not much else to say. Grid 32 rule is used. Just for fun.

MAP13: Mountain Heliport, the final destination

It was the prototype of the "kill a Cyberdemon in a heliport!" concept. I already made a map for it into 5 Rooms of Doom community project, but the prototype still lives!

MAP14: Valley of Shadows, beginning area

A map, based on Metallica's song "The Call of Ktulu". The best Metallica song ever, so it needs a freakin' map implementation!

MAP24: The Fallen Stand, beginning area

Just another map that was finished previously.

MAP26: The Stephouse, entrance

Who dares to enter into the dark stepways?! a.k.a I hope I can make a perfect horror level for vanilla Doom.

A bonus video for this map:

MAP30: Persepolis, main gate

The final act, based on Iron Maiden's "Alexander The Great", which is the last song of album "Somewhere in Time" - and also the last level of the "Somewhere in Time" WAD. Or the last song. Or, whatever.

Feel free to tell your opinion! =)

In that case, I add you to playtesters' list. =)

Most of the maps have got a fitting soundtrack, I'm gonna ask PRIMEVAL for making something for the rest.

Bump. The link to the demo in the page 2 post leads me to a page that claims 'file deleted'. Can this be fixed?

Long time no hear 'bout this. Glad to see it keepin' up and on.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna upload the current version to Dropbox, it surely won't ever disappear from there!

...but before it, I need to polish and to finish at least one more map, to fill the whole first episode!

Be patient.

Katamori said:

Be patient.

Played the first three maps of the above. FUCKING STOKED for the rest. Believe me, you have my patience. :)

Great stuff.

Katamori said:

Be patient.

You be productive, Smartyface! :D

Dear everyone,

the situation is that I'm in hurry, so I'm not able to finish MAp03 today, and tomorrow, I'm taking a week-long break.

So, instead of a whole episode, you get the 10 finished maps, without making them next to themselves. It means that to play maps, use IDCLEV and the number of the map.

To find out, which maps are finished, check the first post.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ql8t011d4m9rhpk/SITDEMO2.WAD

This link is also sent to testers!

Entirely tested on Chocolate Doom, several mistakes are fixed since the last release. Main menu music doesn't work, will be changed. Main menu background screen is only a beta stuff.

Enjoy!

Gotta try out. Feedback will come if I'll be available in da future.

Greetings,

I returned after a long "blackouT", which was an excellent occasion for me to go on with this project. I finished two maps and the third one is on way. After that, I'm gonna take another break, but before it happens, I'd be happy if some more testers would join to try my maps and help with them.

Download link (see finished maps on pg.1.) https://www.dropbox.com/s/no6kyxfo2j6yt59/SITDEMO3.WAD

Plut said that architecture is okay but maps are boring and too easy. Sadly, I'm kinda bad at playtesting and making gameplay, so I need advices from you. That's why I ask for joining or at least, for giving it a try.